PDA

View Full Version : mean dog/advice here helped

coolhandluke4
November 12, 2007, 09:04 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to post this to thank you guys for posting so much knowledge and tips on here.

I work installing air conditioning systems, and was under a lady's house today. She later said she wasn't even thinking about what she was doing, and let her dogs out in the back yard, who had been barking since the minute we pulled up. One comes under the house with it's tail wagging and looking cute, dog's a mutt about the size of a german shepard. It gets about 18 inches away from my face and stops for a second, and then goes ape-poo, barking, snarling, and lunging at me. I'm laying on my side, no room to even sit up. Scared the crap out of me for a second, and then I got mad. I reached into my pocket and pulled my knife.

I then thought back to last night when I was on here and read a topic about a lady's house getting broken into and some dogs not being good guard dogs because you can talk authorativitly to then and they'll back down.

So instead of cutting this dog's head off I start almost yelling at it, "bad dog! get out from under this house! Go On!, and it started backing away. I guess the owner finally heard me yelling at it, and came and got her dog.
An hour later she came out and asked "did he get you?", "he's a good dog, he's never bitten anybody", and "I didn't even remember I had opened this door". I was a little upset with her, so I let my boss talk to her, and didn't tell her I about killed her dog.

So thanks guys! You saved me from probably having to kill a lady's dog, and from probably getting thrown off the job

Hardtarget
November 12, 2007, 10:01 PM
i'm glad ( and you're lucky) you didn't get bit. Dog bites hurt...thats from experience.
you did good.

Mark.

CarbineCaleb
November 13, 2007, 12:14 AM
It's a rare dog that will still go for you if you are unafraid and stand your ground firmly and demonstratively... people aren't small... another tactical tip - do *not* let an aggressive dog get behind you - just keep turning to face him while you move to where you need to be.

joab
November 13, 2007, 12:28 AM
Also bark commands
That's the language they understand
Shrieking, no matter how manly, may not get the desired effect

I have also found that threatening the dog will get the owner's attention better sometimes

Tanzer
November 13, 2007, 07:33 AM
Hope you charged extra.

markj
November 13, 2007, 03:41 PM
Glad you didnt kill it.

I was in a junk yard some 15 years ago, petting the pit bull bitch that was chained to the car I was tearing parts off of. When I stopped she locked onto my foot, bit clear thru the leather. She just didnt want to be left alone. I asked the guy to let me have her, no way he said. I was kinda sad that dog was left out 24 / 7 on a chain and a bunch of scraps on the ground. That yard is closed now. Still have that scar, it hurt like all get out too.

ibfestus
November 13, 2007, 05:58 PM
... one of my neighbors had a German Shepard that was known to be viscous. They left him chained up in the daytime and inside the house at night. All the neighborhood kids, including mine, were scared to death of the dog. One day his chain broke and he got loose. The kids came in screaming and my daughter was almost hysterical.

I looked out and he was in my yard. I opened the door and called him and he came right to me. I got hold of what was left of his chain and led him back to his home and tied the chain back together with a coat hanger. When the owners got home from work I went down and told them what happened. They just couldn't believe that the dog had let me even get close to him let alone control him.

Point is, animals can sense fear and a strong reaction is almost always effective in controlling them with a emphasis on the almost.

orionengnr
November 13, 2007, 06:14 PM
It's a rare dog that will still go for you if you are unafraid and stand your ground firmly and demonstratively... people aren't small... another tactical tip - do *not* let an aggressive dog get behind you - just keep turning to face him while you move to where you need to be.

Did you read the part about how he was under the house? That means (very likely) lying flat on his back or on his face, depending. Kind of difficult to "stand your ground", show your size, or to avoid being flanked in that situation. :rolleyes:

hankpac
November 13, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hi: First Post.
I ran an Emergency Room in Texas, during a Rabies epdemic. A man came in with several bites to his face and hands. He was under his car, changing the oil, when a fox charged from the brush at the edge of his property, and attacked him. He had no room to manuever, and had to just flat strangle the animal until it stopped moving before he could get out from under. No help, either.

Creature
November 13, 2007, 07:09 PM
For a first post, that was a good one!

Welcome to the TFL!

coolhandluke4
November 14, 2007, 07:29 AM
Yeah, the lady had already gotten the "stupid charge" What really amazed me was her indifference to the whole thing, there was never a "sorry", or "thanks for not killing my dog"

I was pretty much stuck on my back or side. I was really suprised when the dog freaked out, and then when I realized I couldn't get away I got pissed. My brother was laughing his butt off when I got out, he said I sounded like Cartman from SouthPark yelling at his cat "NO KITTY, THAT'S MY POT PIE!!!"

Para Bellum
November 17, 2007, 03:37 PM
I was bitten twice and there won't be a third time.

Most dogs react perfectly to warning shots into the ground close to them.

joab
November 17, 2007, 04:26 PM
What really amazed me was her indifference to the whole thing, there was never a "sorry", or "thanks for not killing my dog"My experience was usually the exact opposite
Whenever I got nipped the owner fell allover themselves trying to apologize to the point that it was irritating
Some would start to beat the dog until I told them to leave it alone .
"He was just doing his job, you're the one that screwed up" usually got the message across that if I was going to sue somebody it wouldn't be the dog

Been bitten 23 times, still haven't learned

Stevie-Ray
November 18, 2007, 06:38 PM
... one of my neighbors had a German Shepard that was known to be viscous. Need to leave him in the blender for a few more seconds.:D

Hawg
November 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
That reminds me of the time when I was 15 and hauling dirt in a bob-tail dump truck. I'd already been out to this guys house once and saw no dog. My next load the PTO lever that operates the pump came loose. I had to get under the truck to put the PTO in gear and get under it again after the load was off to take it out I grabbed hold of the running board from under the truck and pulled myself out with my eyes closed to keep dirt out of them. When I opened them the biggest Doberman I ever saw had his nose about three inches from mine. I almost did a number in my pants. I just knew he was going to take my face off but he licked me instead. Bout then the owner called him off and apologized but the dog was just a big ol puppy.

user
November 24, 2007, 05:29 PM
I was a paperboy in the DC suburbs - delivered about 300 copies of the Washington Pravda every day - I often had occasions to confront dogs. I developed the technique of visualizing myself tearing that dog's front legs off with my hands and beating him over the head with his own bloody shoulder fragments (and enjoying it). I think the dogs knew what I was thinking. Never had one get close enough to try to bite.