PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg or BUST!

hogdogs
November 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
Why I choose them Mossberg guns...
They are still a family owned company.
They have not found it necessary to sell out to corporate ways...
They were the first (maybe still the only) company to provide a pump to the military capable of passing all requirements, interchangeability, durability etc...
I grew up before these "fancy" guns could be bought by Joe Normal citizen and a remington was considered expensive.
They are flat out RELIABLE!
After I was already a DIE HARD Mossberg man I learn they invented the rifled slug barrel, the 3 1/2 inch magnum and the cantilever scope mount so when you pull off your slug barrel it soesnt have to lose the accuracy cuz the scope stays with it.
As far as fit & finish Yep they are not sold as pretty guns... Just durable reliable pieces of equipment. I like that like a chevy truck!
Brent

longboard
November 7, 2007, 12:43 PM
Me Too!
I just got a slug barrel for my 500 that my Father in law gave me.
September I had great luck with it on Doves, and with a plain barrel like my first shotgun.:)
Mossberg are great shotguns.
Longboard

chris in va
November 7, 2007, 04:35 PM
I like the fact they're somewhat lighter and don't have a loading gate, plus they pretty much feed themselves if you short stroke it.

WeedWacker
November 7, 2007, 06:24 PM
Yep they are not sold as pretty guns

But the reliability as a whole makes it a work of art

hogdogs
November 7, 2007, 06:57 PM
AMEN double W!!!
Some things about the "mossys" I also like... Just like a chevy small block... The parts and accessories are lower priced for them than other brands. I new rifled slug barrel can be had for 90 bucks.
I just can't see me ever buying any other shotgun... I don't know about other companies but the service I received regarding the stock bolt they sent me for free following a few emails to make sure they were clear on which bolt I needed than to throw in a nice looking Mossberg sticker since I said a Mossberg sticker was the only firearm sticker I would put on my truck... Granted it is advertising for them... try to get free browning stickers to help them sell a gun.:D
The .410 bolt action with poly choke purchased for my father in 1951 or so had a smoother tighter bolt even in 1991 than some "finer" firearms brand new today!
Brent

3006mv
November 7, 2007, 09:28 PM
couldn't agree with you more, I have 3 (2 home defense) my hunting rig with 2 bbls has put a lot of (defurred and feathered) meat on the table.

Austin Cowart
November 7, 2007, 10:35 PM
And let me just say the new 930 autoloaders are fantastic and under 500 dollars you cant beat it! not only that but they seem like the bugs were all taken care of in the factory! My 930 SPX eats any 2 3/4 or 3 inch shell ANY! And is half the price of the FN SLP!

Smitty in CT
November 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
I was "converted" about 3 years ago...

I bought one of the 535 "combo special" at Dick's, Then I bouth one of their 100ATR centerfire rifles....then my kids needed a youth shotgun.....THEN Dick's had the 702 .22LR semi-autos for sale @ $79.98 I had to get two of them, Then I bought the 930 field gun....less than a year later I bought a 930SPX......

Problem....no..... I can stop anytime I want...... I JUST DON'T WANT TO!!!!

Now I'm on a "slippery slope" I keep looking at the old .22 bolt actions.....

Austin Cowart
November 8, 2007, 12:10 AM
My 1935 mossy model 42S is one of the best bolt 22's I have ever had. Thanks great grand dad!

curmudgeon1
November 9, 2007, 12:03 AM
I put a Knoxx BreachersGrip on my Mossberg 500A 12 gauge, it reduces the felt recoil by 50%. Fun to shoot.

Ilovea45
November 9, 2007, 07:35 AM
A Mossberg 500 was my first shotgun that I bought well over 20 years ago. It is still used as a home defense weapon and I have another Mossberg 500 that I bought from a retired sheriff's deputy to keep it company.

They have both been very reliable over the years.

Desert01
November 9, 2007, 09:59 AM
I to am a convert. Started in the summer of 2001 when all we could get out of the Depot at Rock Island were 500's. I haven't looked back since.

Smitty,
Now if I could just find a 595 and a 500 Bull Pup. Suppose I could make do with the 695, but I like thewood stock and lines of the 595 better:( The Bull Pup Stock only would be good enough to;) I can do the rest

GATMOG
November 9, 2007, 10:11 AM
My first shotgun and only shotgun is a mossberg 500, it'll do anything I need it to with 100% reliability :D

H&R088
November 9, 2007, 10:42 AM
Are the Mossberg rifles as good as their shotguns?

Garand Illusion
November 9, 2007, 12:29 PM
My Dad gave me his Mossberg bolt action .410 (the name on it, I believe, is Western Field, from Wards) he got in 1941. It's actually low mileage, because Dad was drafted in '42 and didn't really hunt after he got home from the war.

I still take it out and shoot it and it will still knock down a clay pigeon if you're good enough. (I'm not, but have friends who are).

Fun stuff!

longboard
November 9, 2007, 11:24 PM
I just love the idea of a bolt action shotgun.
Once a long time ago I made fun of a buddy who had only a bolt gun in 16ga. [what a fool]
I wish I had that shotgun now............. it's so COOL
Longboard

DonR101395
November 9, 2007, 11:31 PM
Being a lefty I'm a die hard Mossberg fan.
But, in all fairness, Remington didn't submit a shotgun for the test that is always touted in Mossberg fame.
I'll see if I can find the reference, I had it at one time.

BIGJOHN-1
November 14, 2007, 07:25 AM
My Mossberg 835 ulti mag 3 1/2 came with all the great accessories. camo finish. 1 changeable choke vent rib ported barrel with tru glow ghost ring sights and a brass mid barrel bead. 1 riffled ported barrel with red dot scope attached. also a tapped receiver. and Q.D Sling swivels. cost was under $300.00 a lot of gun for the money. A great shooting gun.

Smitty in CT
November 14, 2007, 11:33 AM
Are the Mossberg rifles as good as their shotguns?

I have a 100ATR in .270, it is extremely accurate (under 1" groups @ 100yrds), the only negative thing I've heard about these rifles is the "factory" trigger, mine is OK, so I must have gotten a good one...

Just make sure they let you try the trigger before you leave the store...