PDA

View Full Version : Torn - trade 639 for M&P?

Rommel
November 4, 2007, 06:06 PM
I have a nice 639 stainless that a friend wants to buy. I was thinking of selling and using the money to get a M&P with the mag and rebate deal going.

I have always had a bad case of "tradeitist" and have swapped, traded, etc. a bunch of times (only miss my first gun the S&W 19 .357) so I have no issues letting go.

How should accuracy, reliability compare going from a stainless to plastic? I know I have to do my part. Is the transition from a DA/SA going to constant pull going to be hard?

Should I just keep my 639 and use the money to buy more magazines? Besides, Smith, any good mags out there or ones to avoid?

As you can see I am undecided and need more info. Since this board as more gun knowledge than the all the books in the world, I figure I would get some good insight and advice.

Thanks

Ala Dan
November 4, 2007, 06:23 PM
I would not make the deal; as too many reports of the new S&W M&P series
guns rusting~! :eek: :(

Scorpion46
November 4, 2007, 06:32 PM
Hi. I traded away a GREAT Model 39 long ago...and still regret it. You have a great pistol...get some great mag's and lots of ammo....just shoot and shoot. But don't trade.

Jack

Tripplethreat
November 6, 2007, 02:07 PM
NEVER,EVER get rid of a 39 series pistol! To include the 639,439,539,and the 39-2. They're only going up in value as time goes on. I know they are just single stack 9mm's. These guns will never be made again and contrary to what a lot of people will tell you,I've never seen o ne that wasn't a shooter and as reliable as anything out there.Find another way and keep the 639 or you'll regret it.

18DAI
November 6, 2007, 02:40 PM
I would keep that 639. Very nice pistol.

I'm not a fan of the M&P. IMO, S&W's current QA/QC leaves alot to be desired. Theres a reason S&W does customer service so well these days :rolleyes:.

I prefer the 2nd, and 3rd generation S&W auto loaders. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.

sholling
November 6, 2007, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't trade but that's only because I like growing my collection and you have a fine pistol. Save up and add an M&P or 2 or 3. Don't trade away a fine pistol. As far as the "I heard" stories go, every new product has a few issues with early production whether it's S&W, Ford, Chevy, or Maytag. "I've heard" stories about all of them. ;)

'I've heard' that S&W is aware of the rust issue on a few early production pistols and replaced the slides with no hassles. 'I've heard' that some of the early compacts had magazine drop issues... that some were mechanical issues and some were 'loose nut on the end of the keyboard' type issues. The mechanical were addressed. Will they find more issues? Who knows. It's still a new product. I'll let you know after Friday - that's when I pick up my .45 and put a deposit down on a 9mm.

Keep your pistol and save up.

*Note: No disrespect to the "I heard" guys... I've heard a lot of stuff and passed it on as you can see. ;)