PDA

View Full Version : SKS on the front page of NY Times...

yarborg
November 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
And not a word about it in the column. Apart from the person holding it being a terrorist the rifle is pretty sharp looking. Probably a Russian SKS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/02/world/asia/02pakistan.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

KCB
November 2, 2007, 11:54 AM
Oh No! We better ban those guns!!!

CrazyIvan007
November 2, 2007, 11:54 AM
That is a very nice, shiny lookin' rifle...

DnPRK
November 2, 2007, 12:48 PM
That is a very nice, shiny lookin' rifle...
I agree. It still has intact bluing, not the bare metal and rust of a well-used carbine that you normally see in pictures from that part of the world.

tINY
November 2, 2007, 12:59 PM
The stock is very dark where someone has been holding it a lot.

Seems like it'd be pretty dry in that region, so the intact blueing and lack of rust doesn't suprise me.

The SKS was designed with a lot of wood. Especially where it gets handled a lot.

-tINY

Manedwolf
November 2, 2007, 01:03 PM
Or they just bring out the best rifles for the journalists. Seriously, getting a picture like that published says "I'm richer than you" to his competitors in that culture.

CrazyIvan007
November 2, 2007, 01:34 PM
Or they just bring out the best rifles for the journalists. Seriously, getting a picture like that published says "I'm richer than you" to his competitors in that culture.

I don't think the NY Times delivers to many homes located in the rough streets of Pakistan.

RJM
November 2, 2007, 01:39 PM
Does that make me a terrorist since I have one of those evil weapons?

Manedwolf
November 2, 2007, 01:41 PM
I don't think the NY Times delivers to many homes located in the rough streets of Pakistan.

They look at the website, just like we do. Probably the NYT more often, since it's sympathetic to terrorists and constantly blames America.

I meant that for that culture, the fact that a photographer was going to take pictures for any reason might have been cause to get the nice rifle down from the wall and pose the guard with it, because rivals might see it.

CrazyIvan007
November 2, 2007, 03:04 PM
I don't thing internet is all that popular either in the civilian world. They may have it in some of the shops or their version of libraries. But having a computer in family homes...probably not.

Average Joe
November 2, 2007, 04:01 PM
UH OH, I can feel the price on an SKS going up ! Everybody has got to get one of those terrorist assault weapons.....

JWT
November 2, 2007, 04:09 PM
Kids have been kicked out of school for having pictures of guns. What will the zero tolerance, politically correct folks do about the N Y Times???

Kreyzhorse
November 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
For the SKS authority, did the Russians make the SKS with a stainless steel bolt? I own a 1951 Tula SKS and it seems like I read that Russia didn't make one with a stainless bolt, I could, and most likely am, wrong however. Either way, I'm glad I bought mine before they are banned as the choice of "axis of evil" every where.:)

Eghad
November 2, 2007, 09:25 PM
In that neck of the woods you probabaly get an SKS after you complete potty training.

joshua
November 2, 2007, 09:34 PM
Hmmm... Nice rifle! It will be up for sale or issue with a tag that says, "Never fired, only dropped once" josh