PDA

View Full Version : Ruger-M77-257 Roberts from 1971-72.

Double Stack
November 1, 2007, 05:10 AM
Hello, I was wondering if a few of you with a blue book gun values could do me huge favor and tell me what this rifle is worth.

It’s a Sturm, Ruger M77, 257 Roberts from 1971-1972. In what I would say would be good to excellent condition.

Also, is there some way of checking what a Leupold 2x7 vari X-II from the same era would be worth ?.

Thanks for the help in advance.

lev83
November 1, 2007, 07:11 AM
According to Fjestads (25th ED) the Ruger M77 pricing is as follows:
100%=$450, 98%=$395, 95%=$325, 90%=$265.
There is no added cost based on rifle caliber .257 Roberts

Doublecheck that scope. I could be wrong but I dont believe Leupold was making a VXII in early 70's. The front bell will be stamped VXII and it will have a wide (~ 3/16ths) gold band on it. Hope info was helpful.

Double Stack
November 1, 2007, 02:22 PM
Right on man, but is there anything about antiques ?. I mean I saw one of these gun’s on display under glass in armory/ museum.

Is there a antiques blue book gun values ?. How is pricing done ?

As far as the scope, I checked out Leupold’s home site but didn’t find out anything out except it’s a rim fire rifle scope.
It dose have the gold band around it and has a patent number. Plus, the “2x7 Vari X-II”. That’s exactly how it reads. Are you saying that it is or isn’t an old scope because it has what you’re talkin about ?.

I picked up this rifle back when I got out of the army in 03 and have been letting it sit in my safe ever since. I have laways wondered what it’s worth because it’s so old and in such good condition. Also, the vet I bought it from told me that Ruger only made that rifle chambered in that caliber for a few years originally. Then Ruger just started re-realesing them in the last couple of years. Has anybody any information on anything like that ?.

Thanks for the help.

davlandrum
November 1, 2007, 02:30 PM
I would be surprised if an early 70's rifle was considered an antique. Of course, I am often surprised.

How can you let that sit in your safe!!!! It must be hunted with ASAP. Send it to me and I will put it to good use :D

Double Stack
November 1, 2007, 03:30 PM
Really ?. Hell I’m just regurgitating info that the museum guy said. I asked him what was the story of that rifle in the case, he said “It’s an antique”. I said that’s all ?. He said “yep”.

Haha send it to yea huu ?. Not just yet man haha. I’ve put one box of rounds through it when I first picked it up, and I’ve got to say it’s a nice rifle. I didn’t even have to zero it. It was all set up to stack up piggy backs at 100 yards. It’s just to expensive to shoot. I can shoot my Remington 700 in 30-06 all day for half the price with more bang for my buck at that lol. I love my 30-06.

Polishrifleman
November 1, 2007, 03:59 PM
Same pricing structure in the 26th edition too.

Ruger has always been a proponent of the .257 Roberts, it was never discontinued and is still offered in the Mark II.

Unless you have some special serial #, engraving, autographed by ted nuget model I would keep in those ranges.

What museum where you at? I would like to learn more about the rifle behind the glass.

To qualify for C&R, the receiver has to be at least 50yrs old or something like that. So any weapon manufactured after 1957 wouldn't be considered an antique by the BATF.

Double Stack
November 1, 2007, 05:18 PM
Ruger never stopped making 257 Roberts ?. Dam, well I guess it sounded good at the time haha. Are you 100% on that ?.

No I don’t think it’s some special serial number. If it was signed by Ted Nuget, I would consider it priceless in my collection.

It was in Eugene O.R. It was at a Gun/ Sporting show in the display only museum that traveled with the show. I tried to ask how much it was worth, and they told me it wasn’t for sale.

That’s exactly what I was looking for !!. Thanks man. 50'years huu ?. I guess I have about 14 left haha.

Also, I found Leupold 2x7 scops on ebay selling for $115 and $185 used, so I would say the two together were a good deal for me.

I appreciate the help guy’s !!.

Martyn4802
November 2, 2007, 06:04 AM
Last October, I bought a Ruger Model 77 in 257 Roberts. They are still being made in that caliber.

davlandrum
November 2, 2007, 10:07 AM
DS - My suggestion for the .257 is to get into re-loading. If I had the money (and could fool my wife yet again...) I would love to have one. The one I have had a chance to shoot and seen in action belongs to my buddy's mom. The stock is way cut down (she is really small), but it is a tack driver. Her husband made up enough hand loads before he passed for it for her to shoot all she would ever want. Great round for mulies and was responsible for a monster bull elk - 1 shot through the pump.

My only problem would be, like you, having to leave the -06 in camp.

Where you at? I am north of Coburg.

Double Stack
November 3, 2007, 03:10 AM
Martyn4802,
Thanks man, but I was just talking about back a long time ago in the mid seventies.

Davlandrum,
Haha that’s what I was thinkin when I bought a RCBS reloading set, and built my self a Reloading table. After the first couple times reloading, I just got board with it. When I got to the range, I like to shoot a lot !!. It just wasn’t worth my time and space to have an area set up for reloading. I sold everything to a buddy, and he has (never used any of it) everything sitting in his garage haha. For range rifle’s I shoot the hell out of 30-06, 223, 9mm, and 22. All really cheep. I’m also thinking of getting a Remington 700 BDL in 270 ( or maybe 243) and keeping it iron sites.

WoW, Elk with a 257 !!. I don’t think I would want to take that shot. For me that’s like taking a black bear with a 223 lol. More power to’em though. Nice shot !!.

Yea you got to love the 30-06, she can reach out and touch some bodies.

I’m in Eugene man. That’s pretty cool you live right up there. Do you go to any ranges around here, or do you just go out in the woods like the rest of us ?.

Double Stack
November 3, 2007, 03:46 AM
Ok, after looking and looking- the only rifle I can even find that matches mine is the New 375 Ruger. Mine has the iron sites with the rear shallow “V” windage adjustable sight. So maybe that’s the model they stopped making in 257 Roberts ??.

Does anybody know any thing about this model ?. Is this the same model with different features ?. Or a different model all together ?. It also has a really nice jeweled “non-rotating, mauser-type extractor/bolt.

Here’s a couple pic’s to help out.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27956&d=1194079493
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27957&d=1194079493

dgludwig
November 4, 2007, 02:24 PM
Double Stack: The estimates lev 3 gave you are pretty much on the money (pun intended). Your rifle is a good one, the caliber is especially nice (and, though not my first or second choice for elk, with the right bullet and some discipline, I wouldn't hesitate on going after one with it) but it is not particularly "rare" and will probably not become an "antique" in your lifetime.

My source (Ruger Model 77 Bolt Action Rifles by Burke), though dated, does stipulate that Ruger introduced the Roberts caliber in the 77s in 1972 "on a limited, uncatalogued basis...a rough estimate would be around two thousand (made during this time period)". These rifles were the ST version, having round-top receivers and sights, with a 24", medium weight barrels. I don't know when this first "run" was terminated but it was at some point in time and was later introduced in the 1975 catalog (according to Mr.Burke,"in the77R version, with a '71'-prefix, 22" barrel, and was made in the '71'-prefix with '200th' year rollmark" but my 1975 catalog indicates that the Roberts was made in the 77RS and ST versions as well). Mr. Burke said that the ".257 was again discontinued in 1976 (though my 1976 catalog shows it being offered that year), only to return again in 1980, in the warning model."

From 1980 on (with the exception of 1999, per the catalog), the Model 77/77 Mark II rifles have been chambered in one form or another (usually the 77R but also the RL and maybe others) in the .257 Roberts caliber.

Hope this helps but keep in mind that most all firearm manufacturers will have some variances in model designations and nomenclatures over time due special orders, inventory left-overs, errors in procedure, etc. It's these differences from the cataloged norms that light up a collector's eyes!

Double Stack
November 7, 2007, 03:09 PM
WoW man. You have all the answers.... “pay no attention to the man behind the curtain”. All that info is AWESOME !!. Thank you very much.

So basically the Vet I got it off of had the a book by Mr. Burke, and that’s why he told me it was discontinued.

I hear yea on the different configurations to grab the buyers eye because that’s what this rifle did to me haha.

Thanks again !!.

dgludwig
November 8, 2007, 11:24 AM
If your Model 77 has the original open (iron) sights and a 24" barrel it would seem that it may have been one of the first-run (uncataloged) rifles which Burke referenced. If that is the case it would not surprise me if a collector might pay a premium for it based on the scarcity of this configuration.

In any event, you have a fine rifle and caliber. I've owned in the past and own in the present many bolt-action rifles (including Remington 700s and 788s, Savage 110s, several Winchester variants and a Browning A-Bolt) in a host of different calibers and still regard the Ruger Model 77 as the best of its kind and the Roberts as a true classic, every bit as effective as any of its hyped-up, magnum brethern.

davlandrum
November 8, 2007, 11:35 AM
DS - When I go to the range, I usually go to the one out Marcola way, but only go for formal sighting in sessions.

PM me if you are interested in confiscating your reloading gear from your buddy and selling it. I ain't saying I got a lot to spend, but if neither of you are going to use it, lets see if we can make a deal.

Double Stack
November 24, 2007, 06:03 AM
Dgludwig,
WoW again !!. Man I come back from the holidays with the family to see your reply. AWESOME, I thank you for the info. If I may ask one more thing of you- what would you think this rifle’s ball park price range would be ?. I never shoot her, and I would much rather own a shooter.

Thanks again.

Davlandrum,
Right on man, I’ve seen that rang when I drive out that way, but I always just keep on drivin. How big is that rang ?.

I’ve talked to my buddy about the reloading kit, but haven’t got a straight answer out of him yet. I’ll get back with you on that.

dgludwig
November 25, 2007, 10:39 PM
Double Stack: Here's the deal as I see it. Even though your Ruger is scarcer than most 77s, at the present time it isn't going to fetch much more than $500.00 or so. In time this may change but the rifle is still mostly a "shooter", albeit a harder to find rifle than most 77s. Its collectability status is entirely contingent upon "demand" and the demand for your rifle at the present time is just not sustainable in terms of market desireability.

Serious Ruger collectors may want to chime in here because I am certainly no authority when it comes to valuing a potential Ruger collectable.

Double Stack
November 25, 2007, 11:14 PM
Great, thanks again !!. $500 sounds fair too me. Just to let you (and everybody) know, I put it up for auction at GunBroker.com. Her’s a link to the listing.

Time to trade up !!.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86009814

Double Stack
December 28, 2007, 05:41 PM
Ok with all the help I got from people here, I wanted to show off what I picked up after I sold my Ruger.

It’s a DPMS .308 Tac20 with a few add ons, and a Leupold 3x9-50. I’m stoked on it !!.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29129&d=1198879603