PDA

View Full Version : Question about EOTech sights

GLP Standard
October 26, 2007, 03:06 AM
I'm new to AR-15s, but I just bought one, and I want to eventually add an EOTech sight to it, but I don't know much about them. Could someone fill me in on how many different models there are, how much they all go for, what the difference is between them (features, etc) and also, what model does our Military over in Iraq use? The M4s that EOD and Security Forces check into our armory at work have EOTech sights on them, but I dont really know what model. Also, what model would you recommend I look into?

Martyn4802
October 26, 2007, 07:51 AM
I have two of the EOTech holo shights, a model 512 and a 552. Both are powered by AA batteries. They make models that are powered by N cells, which are smaller and may not last as long as the AA batteries. The 552 is the one used by the military for the main battle rifles.
It is larger than the 512, and appropriate for a rifle like the AR 15. I have the 512 mounted on a light Ruger 10-22 that is tricked out; a perfect combo.
The EOTech sights are a true holo sight that are virtually parallax free from 22 yards to infinity, and the EOTech's are the only Holo sight made. All others are red dot sights that do have parallax, some more than others. I think the Aimpoint red dot sight has less parallax associated with it than the other makes.
The following is from a friend who knows these kinds of sights:

"The Holographic sights are a completely different technology than Red Dot sights. The Holographic sights (EOTech only- there are no other manufacturers of Holographic Sights) use a laser diode to shine a diffuse beam on a 3D image recorded in the rear window of the sight. This creates an image with depth, so the reticle stays focused at infinity and stays in focus with the target plane at all times. All other red dot sights simply reflect an LED diode off a curved, partially mirrored surface. Red Dot sights are NOT Parallax free despite what their manufacturers claim. Aimpoint claims the sights are parallax free, yet they have considerably more parallax than the EOTech holographic sights. All other manufacturers of Red Dot sights have a great deal more parallax than Aimpoint."

Cost of these units is somewhere between $330 and $400.

Martyn

SR420
October 26, 2007, 09:07 AM
Check out the new BDC reticles from EOTech.
I have one with a .308 BDC on the way.

http://cgwgun.com/images/552_XR308.gif

.223 and .50 BDC reticles are available.

shepherddogs
October 26, 2007, 09:18 AM
I can tell you this much. Get the model that takes the AA batteries. I saved a little $ and got the N battery type. Go to Walmart and tell them you want N batteries and they don't know what you're talking about. Same for most other stores. Finally found 1 pack of 2 @ Kmart for like 5.99. Ended up buying a bunch from a website that specializes in batteries. Also the Eotech is not that great for target shooting. They are made for fast aquisition of human size targets. If you're into target shooting you'll be better off with a conventional scope or open sights.

SR420
October 26, 2007, 09:39 AM
Also the Eotech is not that great for target shooting.

They can be :)

gdvan01
October 26, 2007, 05:47 PM
Could someone fill me in on how many different models there are, how much they all go for, what the difference is between them (features, etc) and also, what model does our Military over in Iraq use?Here's a good site for comparing features and MSRP:

http://www.swfa.com/

You can also visit ar15.com for info and guidance with respect to the AR platform.

PPGMD
October 27, 2007, 12:04 AM
The EOTech sights are a true holo sight that are virtually parallax free from 22 yards to infinity, and the EOTech's are the only Holo sight made. All others are red dot sights that do have parallax, some more than others.

You also have to factor in battery life, you get 900-1100 hrs with the various Eotech models, while Aimpoints get 50,000 to 80,000 hours with the two newer models.

I will take some very minimal parallax for 100 times better battery life.

Zombie Steve
November 1, 2007, 05:23 PM
I have one that takes N batteries - life is supposed to be roughly 200 hours, and it will start blinking when you are down to approx. 4 hours left. I see N batteries at Wal-mart, Walgreens, Target... no problems here. I like that it's a little more compact. I'd prefer something with a zillion hours, but hey, I have some spare batteries and back up irons, not to mention I'm not kicking in doors in the sandbox. This is my fun gun.

As far as the holographic sight, I think it's pretty darn cool. It doesn't matter if the dot is up in the left corner of the reticle, lower right... if the dot covers the target, that's where your bullet will hit. Once you get a good battle zero on them, it's tough to miss. YMMV.