PDA

View Full Version : Remington is making AR's now

boltgun71
October 24, 2007, 03:55 PM
David E. Petzal at Field and Stream just posted a blog about Remington making AR's now for hunting. There calling it the R-15, with 3 models and all in camo. They come in .223 Rem or .204 Ruger. He also says that the trigger is of there own design. Curious as to how these AR's will stack up against the other brands. Anyone else heard of these yet?

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/10/meet-the-r-15.html

Wildalaska
October 24, 2007, 04:01 PM
They own Bushmaster so it figures....

WildobviousAlaska TM

Arabia
October 24, 2007, 05:38 PM
Cerberus corporation that recently bought out Remington, also owns Bushmaster among other corporations such as Chrysler. They installed a new CEO at Remington, who by chance use to be the CEO of Bushmaster. I wonder if he had anything to do with Big Green deciding to build a AR15. ;) The best thing about Remington offering a AR15 is it will drive the Fudds up the wall. No offense to hunters, I know plenty of hunters that own AR15s but many traditionalist hate them to the core.

RockyMtnTactical
October 24, 2007, 07:04 PM
Interesting that they are being marketed and labelled strcitly as hunting rifles... and being sold with 5 round mags...

Trying to appeal to the hunters out there...

I seem to recall Petzl defending Zumbo over the whole AR15 thing... What a dork...

Picher
October 24, 2007, 07:24 PM
It doesn't look like any varmint rifle I've ever had...or ever will. I'm not into the AR for sporting use and give people who use them a wide berth in the field.

IMHO, they just don't belong in the hunting sports. They are a combat rifle that are fine in military-type events, or if people really feel the need to defend themselves. However, if people want to hunt woodchucks in Maine, please use a bolt-action, single-shot, or other "non-threatening" sporting rifle.

Picher

RockyMtnTactical
October 24, 2007, 08:27 PM
I hunt Coyotes, Whistle Pigs, and other varmints with my M4 clone. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks either.

As for other hunters... I never see other hunters when I hunt varmints, except for those in my group. But I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one if I did :p (J/K about that last sentence).

Jason607
October 24, 2007, 08:36 PM
Of course they are going to get into the AR market, for reasons listed above, plus ARs are about the hottest market going in the gun sales.

I am REALLY GLAD to see the AR being pushed as a hunting rifle, that way maby it can erase the "human killer" image it has with most people. It will give the anti's a muddier ground and make it harder for them to push restrictions on them.

James K
October 24, 2007, 08:39 PM
I think it is good. The more domestic makers of that type of rifle there are, the less likelihood of a ban. When there was only one maker, and that maker didn't give a hoot about commercial sales, lawmakers could denounce semi-autos of that general type as "evil foreign assault rifles", etc.

Thank you, Mr. Zumbo (I mean Mr. Picher) for the comment. Your bolt action rifles are, of course, "evil long range sniper weapons developed solely for military use and with no place in any sport." (The quotes are not wrong - that statement is taken from an anti-gun "fact sheet" put out a couple of years ago.)

Jim

ursavus.elemensis
October 24, 2007, 09:25 PM
When I first got into rifles, I thought about it a bunch and decided that I did not like the AR-15's and would not want one. Then the VT shooting thing happened, and I thought about how they are likely to ban the sales of the AR-15's at some point (I know that the VT shooter did not use an AR), so I figured, well, I better buy one now or I will never be able to get one if I ever decide that I do want one. So I got a Bushmaster and I really have turned out to like the rifle a lot. I do not shoot it often because the ammo is expensive and hard to buy in bulk (lots of places are perpetually sold out). But I really am glad I got one and it is fun to shoot. I'm interested in this R-15 from Remington, but I was also kind of thinking of getting a Sig Sauer 556 rifle. I'd like to know what people think of these R-15's when they get out into the general circulation. If there is still no ban, I'll probably get one of the carbines with the collapsible stock. Also, when I first read about them here, I was thinking to myself that if I got one of these R-15's I would have it painted black. Then I looked at the actual rifles (followed the link to the F&S blog article) and you know, they look good in that cammo pattern. If I get one, I might just leave it that "color".

DPris
October 24, 2007, 09:30 PM
Remington's been fiddling with the AR idea for at least three years, initially on their Law Enforcement side.
Denis

toolguyb
October 24, 2007, 09:52 PM
I think it is great that Remington is making ar rifles. I have a Bushmaster that prints sub moa groups. In my opinion it makes an awesome varmint rifle. I think that if the larger caliber (have no experience with these) rifles are as accurate, then why not use them for larger game. Did the bolt action not used to be a military gun? I believe it still is used as a sniper rifle;)

DonR101395
October 24, 2007, 10:04 PM
It doesn't look like any varmint rifle I've ever had...or ever will. I'm not into the AR for sporting use and give people who use them a wide berth in the field.

IMHO, they just don't belong in the hunting sports. They are a combat rifle that are fine in military-type events, or if people really feel the need to defend themselves. However, if people want to hunt woodchucks in Maine, please use a bolt-action, single-shot, or other "non-threatening" sporting rifle.

Are you Zumbo's cousin:rolleyes:
I understand that you don't care for them and that's fine. But giving people that hunt with them a wide berth? Why would that be? Are woodchuck more dead if shot with a "non threatening" rifle? It's a weapon, it should be threatening, whether it's a bolt gun, single shot or semi-auto all the categories have perfectly acceptable although not necessarily up to date military and sporting applications.

garryc
October 24, 2007, 10:14 PM

Picher

ALL U.S. BATTLE RIFLES Just Like The AR-15

FRENCH CHARLEVILLE RIFLE
Springfield Model 1835 .67-caliber flintlock musket
Springfield Model 1840 Flintlock Musket .69 flintlock (later percussion)
Springfield Model 1842 percussion musket
Springfield Model 1855 Rifle-Musket
Springfield Model 1861 Rifled Musket
Springfield Model 1863 Rifled Musket
Springfield Model 1865 breechloading rifle "First Allin"
Springfield Model 1866 breechloading rifle "Second Allin"
Springfield Model 1868 "Trapdoor Springfield"
Springfield Model 1869
Springfield Model 1870 "Trapdoor Springfield" and "Springfield U.S. Navy Rolling Block"
Springfield Model 1871 "Springfield Rolling Block U.S. Army"
Springfield Model 1873 "Trapdoor Springfield"
Springfield Model 1875 Officer's rifle
Springfield Model 1877 carbine
Springfield Model 1880 Triangular rod bayonet rifles
Springfield Model 1882 Short Rifle
Springfield Model 1884 Rifle
Springfield Model 1886 24" Carbine
Springfield Model 1888 Round rod bayonet rifles
Springfield Model 1892-99 Krag-Jørgensen rifle
Springfield Model 1903 the standard US military rifle of the World War I and interwar era.

FirstFreedom
October 24, 2007, 10:23 PM
A 18" bbl AR is interesting from any maker, and from Rem, even better - I'll have to check them out. :) I do find it both odd and irritating that the twist rate is not advertised... The article also claims that it has a good trigger, which would be a real change of pace if it's a Bushy (*cough*).

and give people who use them a wide berth in the field.

I don't know why you'd do that. Most of the idgit hicks I know that'd be likely to shoot you (accidentally or on purpose) all use turnbolts and leverguns, whereas the semi-auto EBR-for-hunting guys are nearly universally thoughtful, intelligent, and conscientious - I think you've got that backwards. Judge not, lest ye be judged. There's no reason to hate. Don't judge a book by its cover. Et cetera.

W.E.G.
October 24, 2007, 11:02 PM

Picher

I know.

I'll try to be vewy, vewy quiet.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/elmer_fudd.gif

K80Geoff
October 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
Things should get interesting at big green. Not only are they owned by Ceberus along with Bushmaster. But now Cobb has been absorbed into the mix. Cobb are the guys who make AR's in BIG calibers, like 30-06 and 338 Lapua.

Wildalaska
October 25, 2007, 12:00 PM
Picher is entitled to his opinion, what are we.... lock step PC?

WildpichgetyourselfavarminterandtryitAlaska ™

rellascout
October 25, 2007, 12:04 PM

WildpichgetyourselfavarminterandtryitAlaska ™

The problem with Pichers statement is that he declares his opinion to be fact and then goes as far as to insert a passive aggressive dig against those who like varminter AR15s. He goes as far as to imply that they are dangerous in the field.

He is getting heat for the dig not his opinion on the rifle.

buzz_knox
October 25, 2007, 12:09 PM

He's entitled to his opinion, and everyone else is entitled to show him how wrong that opinion is.

Lock step PC would be to not dare to disagree with his politically correct point of view.

Lon308
October 26, 2007, 10:40 PM
When I go coyote hunting, I take my AR-15, my M-1A, and my L1A1.

If someone is uncomfortable with me being in the woods, he can stay the heck out, because I own 174 acres.

DonR101395
October 26, 2007, 10:48 PM
The problem with Pichers statement is that he declares his opinion to be fact and then goes as far as to insert a passive aggressive dig against those who like varminter AR15s. He goes as far as to imply that they are dangerous in the field.

He is getting heat for the dig not his opinion on the rifle.

+1 Rella
It would be like me asserting that O/U's are unsafe because I saw some half drunk skeet shooters sweeping everyone in the club house.

Oh wait, that actually happens.:rolleyes:

RevolvingCylinder
October 26, 2007, 11:05 PM
So when is Jeep and Dodge going to start offering their vehicles with AR15 racks or compartments?:D

Picher
October 27, 2007, 04:44 AM
Varmint hunting in Maine is an entirely different proposition from hunting in western states where the population is less dense and varmint hunting is tolerated, even embraced.

Here, when pursuing my hobby in the fields, I've had women yelling at me, blowing their horns as they drive by my favorite woodchuck fields, even accosting me while hunting on public land. And, all that when using a sporting bolt action and not a hint of camo.

There has been so much rural residential development in the central and southern Maine that varmint hunting has become impossible in many places. The family farm is going the way of the dodo bird.

In this scenario, we're very conscious about our image of hunters as an important part of nature and the need to control overpopulation of deer and varmints. Most of us don't want to give the impression that we're paramilitary and out to blast away with semi-autos or full-autos. We hunt mostly on private land with permission. We need to promote a squeeky-clean and mature sportsman's image to not only get permission, but to promote a feeling of trust with landowners.

We've actually had farmers approach us to hunt woodchucks on their land. That said, we'd probably get away with the paramilitary look if hunting coyotes in the woods and farms, but not in the woodchuck fields.

If you disagree, that's your perogative, but I hope that you're part of the solution, not part of the reason that the "No Hunting" posters are tacked up and hunting is banned in some communities.

It's not just use of ARs, but the respect shown to landowners, the land, and other hunters that keeps our sport alive in the East.

Picher

Eghad
October 27, 2007, 05:19 AM
I guess I better never take my M1 Garand Hunting or be labeled as an evil and sinister person. People would probably faint and pass out.:eek: I guess us AR-15rifle guys are just ignorant, dirty and untrustworthy :(.

Reading you last post I would say your sport is going to be doomed no matter what you do. Might want to invest in a slingshot.

longboard
October 27, 2007, 07:42 AM
Picher,
I don't own an AR [don't like pistol grips] but if you were hunting with one the women may not blow there horns at you!
Evil rifle don't ya know.
Relax and team up with the people that share your sport or we won't have one.
Longboard

jmorris
October 27, 2007, 08:35 AM
The person that accosted you in the field would have done so even if you were in a tuxedo shooting a Daisy red rider. If your hunting is legal and ethical (don’t even start with the .223 for deer), I don’t have any problem with it and “they” can’t stop you. Either way, you are pro 2nd amendment or not, they will start with our black rifles and stop with your air rifle.

22-rimfire
October 27, 2007, 08:57 AM
I think it's great that Remington is building an AR styled rifle. I need to buy one (or a Bushmaster) just because. Have a Mini-14. However, buying a $1,000 or more AR is pretty low on my priority list. As usual this thread has turned much into a AR-lover vs non-AR lover thread and equating that interest with the 2A. Get what you like. Be safe. Hunt with one if you choose to and it's legal in your state. Respect the land and the owner. Don't be a reason for the "No Hunting" signs. Pick up some trash when you're out there on someone's land having fun.

The best thing about Remington offering a AR15 is it will drive the Fudds up the wall. No offense to hunters, I know plenty of hunters that own AR15s but many traditionalist hate them to the core.

I was slightly offended. I wish I was Jim Zumbo's cousin. Maybe he'd take me to Alaska or somewhere really cool hunting. Maybe I might get on his show--be a movie star!!! :)

WhyteP38
October 27, 2007, 09:28 AM
The person that accosted you in the field would have done so even if you were in a tuxedo shooting a Daisy red rider.+1. Picher wasn't carrying an AR, and he was still yelled at, honked at, and accosted. I'm not clear what else would have happened if he had an AR instead. Would he have been more yelled at, more honked at, and more accosted?

And the answer is to give in to those people?

Jmorris is right. Picher was yelled at, honked at, and accosted because those people hate guns, whether they're real rifles, air rifles, or drawings of rifles. They're the people you read about in the news who apply "zero tolerance" rules against 10-year-olds who point a finger, stick up a thumb, close the two together, and say "bang."

Gimme a break. Banning ARs from hunting isn't going to do bug-squat about those people. If anything, it will encourage them to inflict more stupidity on the rest of us. But if more people see responsible folks hunting with ARs, more people will become comfortable about ARs. The "evil" factor will diminish.

Picher
October 27, 2007, 09:56 AM
Look guys and gals, I've had military guns too and enjoyed shooting with them. I've also been fighting the good fight against gun control before most of you were born, so cut me a little slack here.

It's within everyone's rights in this country to keep and bear arms of whatever sort is legal at that particular location, etc, etc.

What is within your rights doesn't always make it right. If you flaunt your rights and take an AK 47 down main street, dressed in black and apparently in body armor, someone is going to call the cops...not only offended, but downright frightened. That same person, walking along Main Street, Maine, with a Winchester 94 with the lever open won't even get a second look.

If someone is hunting, other hunters expect them to not only obey laws, but to act like a sportsman. There are too many hunting slobs that we've seen in the woods who sit down within 50 yards of another hunter, knowing full well that they are there. I've had it happen too many times. Are they within their rights? Yes! Is it right? Not in my book.

Okay, so I'm sitting on my stand and three or four guys come walking by carrying ARs, wearing combat boots and military-style clothing and having three or four extra magazines in pouches. They may be very polite and don't sit down close by, but I'm still outta there! Sorry, but that's the way it is.

If you push your rights into people's faces, just because you can...you're not helping our cause. Get it?

Picher

Baba Louie
October 27, 2007, 10:25 AM
If you push your rights into people's faces, just because you can...you're not helping our cause. Get it?But, if you don't defend your legal rights in the face of the PC crowd, you may still be right yet held in check due to your efforts of appeasement and may (in fact, probably will, as history shows) lose those rights legislatively, a bit at a time.

Good for Remington. Good for American gun owners. 5 rounds is 5 rounds. Varmints is varmints. Camo is... well, maybe not for me (who is it what makes those loverly wood stock furniture sets for the AR design?).

A nice wood and blued steel varmint rig, coupled with a good wool LL Bean red/black plaid jacket/slack set (appropriate LL Bean Maine hunting boots) http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=maine-hunting-shoe&categoryId=35480&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=501665&cat4=501662&shop_method=pp&feat=501665-tn
Jacket (Fudd red/black plaid naturally)
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=maine-guide-wool-parka&categoryId=43153&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4295&cat4=2110&shop_method=pp&feat=4295-tn
Pants (Malone plaid of course... Loden green acceptable weekdays only)
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=maine-guide-6-pocket-wool-pants-with-windstopper&categoryId=47348&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4296&cat4=2110&shop_method=pp&feat=4296-tn
The whole ensemble topped off with your basic Stormy Kromer http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=stormy-kromer-hat&categoryId=48285&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4297&cat4=2110&shop_method=pp&feat=4297-tn

Passersby could only exclaim... "How chic" whilst they honked away, while other hunters in the field could only gasp and admire in awe :D

WhyteP38
October 27, 2007, 10:58 AM
What is within your rights doesn't always make it right. If you flaunt your rights and take an AK 47 down main street, dressed in black and apparently in body armor, someone is going to call the cops...not only offended, but downright frightened. That same person, walking along Main Street, Maine, with a Winchester 94 with the lever open won't even get a second look.

If someone is hunting, other hunters expect them to not only obey laws, but to act like a sportsman. There are too many hunting slobs that we've seen in the woods who sit down within 50 yards of another hunter, knowing full well that they are there. I've had it happen too many times. Are they within their rights? Yes! Is it right? Not in my book.Which is why I emphasized responsible. I would rather promote responsible gun ownership, ARs and other guns, than put down AR owners and hunters. Emphasizing responsibility, regardless of gun type, will gain you ground. Putting down AR owners and hunters will lose you ground.

Art Eatman
October 27, 2007, 11:14 AM
Personal opiniions about the use of an AR for hunting, whether favorable or not, don't belong in a thread about the new product. And it's worse when opinions get phrased in an insulting manner.

Which is why this thread is done.