PDA

View Full Version : Are olympic arms good?

pinstripe
October 21, 2007, 07:56 AM
I have found a sight where they are selling an Olympic arms ar-15 carbine for $600. Do any of you know about the quality of there stuff? Please let me know. Thank you

oldmaster111
October 21, 2007, 03:35 PM
Although I don't own one, Gun Test magazine compared the Oly against two other AR type rifles and it wasn't the best, but not the worst. $600 sounds like a good price in this day and age.

kristop64089
October 21, 2007, 03:57 PM
The plinksters are ok.

I'd spend the extra dough and by a Stag or Bushmaster

MyGunsJammed
October 21, 2007, 05:31 PM
What are your thoughts on the Armalite AR15's?

FS2K
October 21, 2007, 10:29 PM
Olympic used to keep costs down by using cheap parts like cast receivers, but now the quality of their products are much better. Even their lowest priced model (the Plinker) has a forged receiver. Another nice feature of the Plinker is it's simple A1 rear sights. Nice!

Armalite products are top notch.

sevensixtytwo
October 22, 2007, 12:30 AM
Armalite products are top notch.

They also go for a pretty good penny.

firetido
October 22, 2007, 12:48 AM
Olympic rifles shoot fine. they are not bushmasters and definately not armalites. but for the money you are not going to get hurt. if your are wanting to get into the AR world and just can't spring for any more than the price of an Olympic, then go for it. An AR is a fairly big investment so most folks are gonna advise you to save up a little more and get a good name that'll hold better value. I agree with that, I love my Armalite, rock solid tack-driver. but as for quality Olympic's are OK, not Exceptional.

Jermtheory
October 22, 2007, 01:59 AM
I'd spend the extra dough and by a Stag or Bushmaster

why not save a little more and get an LMT?:D

just be sure to by it in 3 pieces(BCG/upper/lower) if you wanna save a couple/few hundred $$.

kristop64089
October 22, 2007, 05:43 AM
Well, I never asked about his finances.

If I knew he had $1000 or so to spend, i'd say get a CMMG/ And never look back.

I prefer "custom" built guns(I have an Ameetec) over mass produced. I think the quality control is better(IMO).

john in jax
October 22, 2007, 01:16 PM
I've owned 2 Oly's and they never gave me any problems. I think they are great little guns for plinking, hunting and other forms of recreational shooting. I would not have hesitated to grab either of the 2 Oly's I owned for a self-defense situation. I take that back, the K8 with it's 20" stainless bull bbl was way too heavy for any kind of practical CQB - - but that's not what that rifle was designed for.

Oly's have a LIFETIME warranty and good customer service, which is a great find in today's world.

c4igrant
October 22, 2007, 03:32 PM
Pass on the Oly.

C4

sevensixtytwo
October 22, 2007, 03:38 PM
C4- you never give any reasoning behind any of your statements. You just say "pass on such and such" and that is all. Please elaborate as your statement doesn't provide any information on the subject.

c4igrant
October 22, 2007, 04:14 PM
C4- you never give any reasoning behind any of your statements. You just say "pass on such and such" and that is all. Please elaborate as your statement doesn't provide any information on the subject.

I pretty much assumed that people were sick of my long winded, technical posts about AR's so I just keep it simple and sweet.

If you have any questions as too why NOT to buy an Oly, simply look at this chart: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

C4