PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK 17 .22LR conversion

metoe
October 13, 2007, 06:44 PM
Advantage Arms has the kit to turn my G17 into a 22lr. Is this any good??

dwatts47
October 13, 2007, 07:05 PM
If you want to teach a VERY recoil sensitive person to shoot a glock style gun, then I guess it's good. In my minds eye shooting your glock in ".22 mode" 7000 times won't give as useable muscle memory and recoil/accuracy training as 7000 9mm rounds.

Yes, you can shoot a bunch more for the same money with a .22. But as far as CCW TRAINING goes switching from my Winchester Ranger Carry ammo to WWB FMJ is cost reducing enough.

If I really wanted to use a .22 for anything other than the above, I'd (and did) chip in the extra $75 or so bucks and get a walther P22.... now you have a new gun and a training aid too.

STLRN
October 13, 2007, 07:19 PM
They may not equal round for round with full power shooting. They do however help a whole lot. They make you focus on your trigger control, because the lighter slide requires more concentration on the front site tip and smoother trigger pull. Not to mention, it allows running the same drills dozen of time similar to dry fire run throughs but with actual feed back.

tlm225
October 14, 2007, 02:00 AM
One of my detectives had developed a very bad flinch that he couldn't overcome. In working with him I determined that his wrist which he had broken years ago in an on duty injury, was very sensitive to recoil. As a result he couldn't shoot more than 30 rounds with significant pain resulting in a flinch. On my advice he bought a .22 conversion. The end result was that he shoots 100 rounds of .22 and 25 rounds of .40 each session. His score (with duty loads) has gone up dramatically. The conversion has been 100% reliable.

Officer's Match
October 14, 2007, 06:55 AM
Great info tlm.