PDA

View Full Version : Seecamp .380 mag-finger extension??

turbojohn
October 9, 2007, 08:15 AM
Something hard to find, that these high kicking beauties really need. Noticed one pictured on their website.

PSP
October 9, 2007, 08:16 AM
To my knowledge these are not commercially available. The ones you see are custom made.

turbojohn
October 9, 2007, 09:17 AM
True, but for many, these high-kicking 380-sweeties need a bit more finger room for increased hand stability. It's my understanding, that if the demand is there, these petite extenders will be there too. Hey, at least take a peak, the finger extention even gives the Seecamp a more 21st century look in keeping with its many upcoming and closing-in competitors who all offer one.

DAdams
October 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/PA100031.jpg

Let me know when you find one. I heard you put on an aluminum block but never saw any photos of same.

turbojohn
October 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
photos on seecamp under 380 discussion, item kick question........

PSP
October 9, 2007, 08:28 PM
turbojohn,
I don't think Larry seecamp has expressed any interest in a extended magazine base. There are several folks that have made one. One particular fellow posted instructions on the seecamp forum as to how he made one, but I haven't seen any follow up reports as to whether it worked or not. You may want to do a search there and communicate with the other folks that have made their own. Speaking for myself, it isn't something I'd want, if only because it would make the gun larger and more prone to snag. I'll be the first to admit I'd be tempted to buy one for range use perhaps, but not for carry.

Here's a link to what turbojohn refered to.
http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1191765307

murphjup
October 9, 2007, 08:33 PM
Here's a Poll I started at the Seecamp forum regarding this topic, if you are a memeber you can reply to it...

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1191955012/14#14

:)

NCHornet
October 10, 2007, 05:25 AM
This is a one of the big factors that made me buy a NAA Guardian over the Seecamp. I have larger hands and I need the finger extension is a must for me on the Guardians, I couldn't imagine shooting a smaller gun without the extension. There is obviously a huge market for this and I can't believe somebody hasn't made one already. I can't remember do the Seecamp mags have a removeable floor plate? I don't think they do, which will make this design a little more difficult, but surely can be done. The extension adds little to the size of the gun, my Guardian disappears easily in a normal pair of jeans, and there is no snag issue due to the way the extension is shaped.
I wish you Seecamp owners the best on this.

PSP
October 10, 2007, 06:46 AM
I can't remember do the Seecamp mags have a removeable floor plate? I don't think they do, which will make this design a little more difficult, but surely can be done.

Yes. The seecamp mag is just like any other; body, spring, follower and slide-on base plate. It has an additional spacer part to prevent lateral movement of rounds.

The seecamp pistol is a commercial oddity in that there really are no Seecamp Co. or aftermarket accessories. These guns for the most part remain in pure original form. Perhaps there is a market for some such as the extension or grips, etc., but I doubt the commercial viability of such due to the small numbers involved.

xrocket
October 10, 2007, 06:51 AM
Thank you. I'm perfectly happy with my Seecamp ... We will carry on!

Good shooting all.

NCHornet
October 10, 2007, 11:28 AM
PSP,
I have seen many mags made that didn't have a removable baseplate, although they were for cheaply made guns. I am not suggesting a mass production of these things, but I do believe if I had the ability to manufacturer these in a small metal shop I believe your cost in the tooling would be quickly repayed.

Xrocket,
Please forgive me for even thinking about a product that could somehow possibly improve the finest pocket gun ever made. What was I thinking, even suggesting the 100% perfect Seecamp could somehow be improved upon. I must have lost my mind, again, please forgive my lapse of sanity.
Get real!!

Take Care

xrocket
October 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
I have, I am and I will.

Thank you

turbojohn
October 10, 2007, 11:22 PM
HC Hornet.............I agree with you on this overly-done idol-worship of Seecamp pistols. Sure they are excellent handguns and have been for years. However, the small pocket gun was originally designed for .25, then grew to .32 and now to .380 with no change in weight or grip length.

For the higher power .380 cartridge, however, the original grip length is now too short for good hand-gun control. All the shooter can hope for to secure his/her weapon is his/her middle finger with 1/4 of the ring finger. With such a weak grip on the frontstrap, the .380 jumps back (recoils) violently against the hand portion just beneath the hammer causing poor shot control plus hand soreness and redness. However, I found just a 1/4" mag-extension, that is, just enough to bring the entire ring finger in contact with the pistol grip gave adequate control with very little, if any, hand trauma.

NAA, upfront, was smart enought to recognize this problem with .380s and provided mag-finger extensions for their .380 pocket pistols.

NCHornet
October 11, 2007, 06:23 AM
John,
Naa has mag finger extensions for all their Guardians as far as I know. I have both the 32 and 380 with them. As I said before my Guardians are a bit larger than the Seecamp and I can't hardly shoot them without the extensions. So this is not a Seecamp bashing post. But you're right folks feel all warm and fuzzy because they have a SEECAMP and feel it is the finest piece of machinery ever created by man and there is no way it can possibly be improved upon. I do get sick of it, but folks also get sick of me recommending the Guardians. The difference is I can recognize the need for the extensions in the Guardians but the beloved Seecamp owners have their head in the sand ( not all of you), you know the ones I am refering to. Anyway good luck with your pocket pistol, and thaks for level thinking.

PSP
October 11, 2007, 07:48 AM
NCHornet,
You are right about a few things but wrong about others.

But you're right folks feel all warm and fuzzy because they have a SEECAMP ...

This is true.

...and there is no way it can possibly be improved upon.

This is false. We are very happy when improvements come along.

turbojohn said,
However, the small pocket gun was originally designed for .25, then grew to .32 and now to .380 with no change in weight or grip length.

This is true and viewed by afficianados as something akin to gunmaker perfection. It really is a pretty impressive achievement, you have to admit. You misunderstand a main Seecampers goal. It isn't comfort or ease of shooting. It is first and foremost appreciation of the size and the desire to have a very small yet reliable and potent gun at hand.

The finger extension goes more to the question of size in my opinion, not comfort, nor to a desire to keep my gun "pure" so-to-speak. As you see on the seecamp forum there is actually a good bit of interest in this topic, and it comes up from time to time. I only shoot my Seecamp about 100 rounds a year, just enough to rotate ammo and keep some muscle memory. It certainly isn't the most pleasant gun to shoot, but then that isn't it's purpose. In my mind it's purpose is to hide and be invisible until needed. Size is the most important consideration IMHO and the extension increases the size...nothing more than that.

turbojohn
October 11, 2007, 09:53 AM
PSP....."Akin to gun manufacturer's perfection [ .25 => .32 => .380 ] with no change in pistol size/wt or grip extension to compensate for increasing recoil. Yeah right. All seecamp needed was 1/4" added to their mag to compensate for the more poweful cartridge. That puts one more finger on the grip, what's the big deal in that.

Had a similar experience with my 38 derringer. Lots of stopping power with no change in gun size. The weapon is useless. This continuing increase bore-size only, is a manufacturer's gimic to sell guns. Claim tons of stopping power. They do sell 'em and to some, I guess that's all that counts. Gun-mods come only after complaints come in (4seecampers, little chance) or sales go zip (little chance) or competitor sales increase expotentially because certain faults are recognized and corrected.

PSP
October 11, 2007, 11:53 AM
PSP....."Akin to gun manufacturer's perfection [ .25 => .32 => .380 ] with no change in pistol size/wt or grip extension to compensate for increasing recoil. Yeah right. All seecamp needed was 1/4" added to their mag to compensate for the more poweful cartridge. That puts one more finger on the grip, what's the big deal in that.

You're right of course...any kid in high school metal shop class could have done it.:rolleyes:

NCHornet
October 11, 2007, 07:21 PM
PSP,
If you reread my post I stated that not all Seecamp owners were this way. Obviously Turbo John doesn't feel this way. I never meant this as a blanket statement but it sure is the majority.
Take Care

PSP
October 12, 2007, 04:37 PM
Here you go...done deal
http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1192201347/0#0