PDA

View Full Version : What 30-06 should i get?

hunter33
September 25, 2007, 11:05 AM
What 30-06 should i get?I have decided that im gonna get another hunting rifle and that will be a 30-06 but not sure what 1 i dont wanna spend more then 600 without the scope.And i wanna get it used.

mikejonestkd
September 25, 2007, 11:12 AM
There are many, many bolts in .30-06 that will easily be under $600 used.

Remington 700 comes in at the top of my list - there are lots of different ones to choose from

Win 70 are still plentiful and the older ones are very well made.

Ruger 77, Howa, weatherby vanguard, savage 110 series, stevens bolts..

all have made some nice rifles in the past and should do well for you.

There are a bunch of old mauser or springfield actioned .30-06 rifles still out there, some cheap and some not so cheap.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
September 25, 2007, 11:16 AM
How about a NEW Tikka for less than $600?

TPAW
September 25, 2007, 05:45 PM
You don't say what type of action. If your looking for a semi auto, I recommend a Browning BAR.

Hawg
September 25, 2007, 06:16 PM
I'd go with the Remington 700 or an older Winchester model 70.

taylorce1
September 25, 2007, 07:04 PM
Win 70 are still plentiful and the older ones are very well made.

Yes but all the good ones cost more than $600. It is almost impossible to find a Pre-64 any model and difficult to find a Classic Sporter or Classic Featherweight for less than the OP's budget that are in good condition. Push feed rifles will work just fine but if I was going that route I'd by a M700 new instead of a used M70. JMO

jhgreasemonkey
September 25, 2007, 07:17 PM
My savage 110 30-06 w/accutrigger is a really accurate rifle. The savage is my first choice because I really like their rifles this one is my second savage 110. I loved my first one and it served me well for 15 years so I added another one in a different caliber. And the remington 700 cdl or bdl would be my second choice. They are good rifles, very attractive and well built. For under or around $600 you could easily find a new savage 30-06 and put a decent scope on it like a burris fullfield II for about 200 or less or a nikon prostaff for about 150. If you shop around you can find a savage 110 or 111 30-06 new without scope for around $350. Find the sales or check out budsgunshop online.

wolverine350
September 25, 2007, 09:01 PM
Remington 700, Weatherby Vanguard, Savage 111 with accu trigger

ZeroJunk
September 25, 2007, 09:11 PM
I just bought a nice push feed model 70 Winchester 300 Mag on Gunbroker for $350.It's a great deal for me.Everybody seems to think if it isn't a CRF Model 70,it's no good.They work just as well as a Model 700 or and A-Bolt for $150-$200 less money.

ghettoestl
September 26, 2007, 01:32 AM
REMINGTON 700
You will giggle uncontrolably the very fisrt time you take a shot with it shooting a watermelon or a milk jug etc. I bought one brand new from Bass Pro Shops along with a scope, mount and rings. They installed it and zeroed it free of charge, engraved my initials in whatever font i wanted. Bottom line: IT'S AWESOME I never miss with it. Very reliable.

hunter33
September 26, 2007, 09:48 AM
and how much was the gun alone?

mikejonestkd
September 26, 2007, 10:04 AM
Taylor,

I didn't mean a pre 1964 win 70, you are absolutely correct that they would be over the OP's budget. I meant a more recently made one from the post 1964 era. Nice rifles, but like you, I too prefer the rem 700 over the win 70.

I would gladly trade my first born son for a pre 64 model 70 in .270 win...just like Jack O'Conner's rifle...Perhaps I should post a WTT in the retail section..LOL

just my .02..

USNairman
September 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
My list would go like this.

CZ 550
Remington 700
Win 70
Ruger 77

Art Eatman
September 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
Unless you want to mes around with after-market stocks, I'd get the one which fits the best. Length of pull isn't all that important, as it's easily lengthened or shortened as necessary.

Mount the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes, you should not have to move your head to be looking through the scope (or irons). No sightss? You should be looking directly down the line of the bore.

Art

Eghad
September 26, 2007, 11:46 AM
I had a Parker Mauser Hale I took to a gunsmith and had him shorten the stock because it was a tad to long...shortening it made a world of difference as Art said.

Recently I had one of those 1887 Winchester Shotgun copies that was giving me some trouble in SASS shooting. Once again shortening it took care of the problem shortening it.

Art aint a woofing in that if your arm length is short getting the stock fitted can make a difference.

klcmschlesinger
September 26, 2007, 11:58 AM
Stevens 200 - $250 at Dicks
Timney Trigger - $75 anywhere
Cheap, accurate, great trigger, won't be worried about scratches, dropping, etc. because you can buy two of these for the price of most one of anything.
Just my $.02.

taylorce1
September 26, 2007, 12:46 PM
mikejonestkd,

Your post said older M70 and when I think older I think pre 64 or I think older style like the CRF of the Classic actions. I follow the internet gun auctions closely when I think of purchasing a new or used rifle. Some times even the push feed M70 are outrageously priced IMO you will see Wal-Mart specials with a $700 price tag. Even if I don't buy from the gun auctions sometimes just the hassle of getting one shipped isn't worth the money saved and I'll look else where.

I bought two M70 XTR sporter rifles this last year both are push feeds and in 7mm Rem Mag, packaged deal $700 for both rifles. I sold one for a little more than half of what I paid for both so I'm a little ahead. About 6 months earlier I found a NIB M700 ADL .30-06 that after shipping and transfer fees came out to $380 . As far as I'm concerned I paid extra just to have the Winchester name on my 7mm Rem Mag and I don't even care for that caliber, I just wanted the stock and action.

Since the closing of Winchester I think you can find better deals out there than the M70. I definatly like them but I'm an equal opportunity employer when it come to rifles and I don't prefer M700's over M70's or any other rifle for that matter. If the rifle fits me and feels good when I use it that is more important to me than who made it. An cheap ugly rifle that fits the shooter will likely be more accurate than a expensive beautiful one that doesn't.

TPAW
September 26, 2007, 02:42 PM
Art

No sightss? You should be looking directly down the line of the bore.

Do you mean the top of the barrel?

Art Eatman
September 27, 2007, 09:51 AM
Yeah. Axis; line; centerline of top of barrel. Lots of ways to say the same thing. Same-same as looking down the rib of a shotgun.

Art

hunter33
September 27, 2007, 10:53 AM
okay so when i see if the rifle is gonna fit me by closing my eyes and opening them do i lean my head over?thanks for all the help guys/girls.

biglabsrule
September 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
I do Love my Remington 760

taylorce1
September 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
okay so when i see if the rifle is gonna fit me by closing my eyes and opening them do i lean my head over?thanks for all the help guys/girls.
Yes you want to shoulder the rifle just like you were aiming at a target. Get a good cheek weld (where cheek touches stock) and open your eyes. You should be looking down the rifle sights or through the scope. Do not expect a factory rifle to fit you perfect, but try to get as close as you can before you buy that rifle.

hunter33
September 27, 2007, 06:19 PM
ok well you know how some stocks have that little bumb type thing on the back of the stock to put your cheek on well where about should i place my cheek on it? I put my cheek all the way forward and up really high on that bumb so that i am able to look threw the scope and it seems like the scope is to far forward and to high what do you think?its kinda on conferrable for me.

Doyle
September 27, 2007, 06:55 PM
Most of the new Savages can be had for less than $400 (models 10, 11, etc). Just pick what style you like.

ghettoestl
September 28, 2007, 12:28 AM
and how much was the gun alone?

it was about 800 give or take a few bucks. with all the other stuff it was over a thousand

Kreyzhorse
September 28, 2007, 06:55 AM
You can not go wrong with a Savage. I own a left handed 110 in 7mm Remmag and it is an outstanding rifle. Very accurate. Not as pretty as some other rifles but for the money I'd trade function over form any day. Take the left over money and put it towards a nice scope.

Art Eatman
September 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
Hunter33, that raised portion on the back of the stock is called the "comb". I disrecall the origin of "Monte Carlo comb", also a term which is used. It's intended to let you have your head/eyes high enough to look through a scope. Rifles with iron sights and where no scope is really intended to be used don't have that raised part.

Anyhow, words like "natural" and comfortable" apply. Holding the rifle about 45 degrees across your body, it oughta just feel righteous. Hard to describe, just in words. But you shouldn't have to strain or wiggle around for everything to line up. If things are awkward, either the stock doesn't fit you or you're just not holding it right. :)

Art

spctim11
September 28, 2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/14610