PDA

View Full Version : SMLE Sporters

BrianBM
September 22, 2007, 02:13 PM
I can have, if I want, an SMLE to play with. And do things to, or pay to have done. It is - I think - a Mk 3 or 4. The wood is in fairly clean condition. It's been recently fired and didn't bite the shooter, who has no need for it. (He's not into bolts.) He did mind the recoil, which he considers nastier then his 12 ga O/U.

Some shooters feel that sporterizing a firearm is sacreligious. Please note that the barrel may be gawdawful (I don't know) and the rifle may have been shot hard. (I have no history on this weapon.) I'll have a competent smith look over the rifle if I take it, for headspace or other issues. However, I don't anticipate going to war anytime, and don't need a metal buttplate for cracking heads. The notion of sporterizing it comes to mind. Other SMLE threads have noted that Americans don't like two-piece stocks (I don't mind) and that American shooters don't like cock-on-close actions (I don't know enough to know what that means.) Since the rifle is free, if I want it, it wouldn't hurt me to buy it a new stock (saving the old, for some purist re-purchaser). If the barrel is accurate enough for minute of deer, it's good enough. The receiver may not lend itself to easy scope mounting, but no doubt there's a pistol mount that can accomodate something to make life easier for older eyes. I don't intend to shorten the barrel; if it's poor, I'd have it replaced. Ditto the bolt.

I'd appreciate mention of smiths who might be well practised in sporterizing SMLEs, whether there are scope mounts that accomodate the SMLE's peculiarities, and (most of all) any stocks that suit the SMLE that might mitigate the recoil. Ammunition doesn't worry me, too much; I assume the ballistics and terminal effectiveness are similar to those of the .30-06, and that there are .30 bullets out there that lend themselves to reloading in the .303. As for rifle condition, I'll have it at the range within the next few weeks, and have some idea.

Hobie
September 22, 2007, 02:40 PM
Well, it might be a No1 MK III or a No4 MK I or MK II and I seems that you are set on sporterizing it but...

The cost of doing the work, even yourself on the cheap vs selling the gun and buying, say a CZ something may even out and you might be damaging a collectible (but we don't really know that either). You really need to ID what you have before you proceed. IF you preserve the military parts and just put it into something like a Ramline stock for hunting that might not be too bad a thing.

Cock on opening is an action that cocks (retracts the firing pin) as you lift the bolt handle to open the action. Cock on closing is one that cocks as you shove the bolt forward and turn the bolt handle down. Many prefer the cock on opening because it is supposedly less disturbing to their aim in rapid fire.

You will want to get .311-.312" diameter bullets although some have had adequate performance with some .308" bullets. I've not found that to be true in my experience.

These guns have a removable bolt head and you can get different size bolt heads to correct headspace. I've never seen a whole bolt need to be replaced...

DougW
September 22, 2007, 03:17 PM
What hobie said with a few little additions:

The #1mk3, #1mkIII, or ShtLe mkIII (basically all the same rifles) bolt heads are not interchangable. Each was ground for it's particular rifle and should not be changed. The #4 and #5 rifles were designed to use 4 different length bolt heads to adjust head space. headspacing those are a bit easier.

On head space, be sure that your "smith" is using mil spec gauges, not SAAMI gauges. The SAAMI Field gauge is close to a military No-Go. And, the .303 head spaces on the case rim, not the shoulder. The chambers on these rifles are very generous, allowing for sand, dirt, and grit from the battle field. The shell cases do "grow".

You can do anything with your rifle that you want. The Enfields are gaining in value like the Swedeish Mausers before them, in their origional military state. So, do what you wish, but know that there are many calibers better suited for hunting and sporterizing than the .303. I am not knocking the .303; I have 13 rifles in that caliber right now. You can post the markings here from the rifle and I know the other members can help you with the value of the rifle, in it's origional state.

Remember though, it's your rifle. Do what you think is best.

There are no gunsmith scope mounts fro some like B Square that work find. Look in a Shotgun News for a stock change to a plastic type.

As far as recoil, it is in the eye of the beholder. I think the .303 kicks a lot less than say a 30.06 and M44 7.62X54R rifle. I have a Remington 870 20 gauge that will bruse your shoulder with only a few boxes of shells. Recoil from a bench is harder than firing prone, sitting, or standing too. I think the .303 is a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] cat. I will admit that my #5mk1 will punch me a bit, but it is about 2 pounds lighter than a #1 or #4. I would suggest getting some decent ammo like S&B, Remington, etc and go to the range before you start dumping money into modifying it.

I could not quote you on a "good Enfield gunsmith". I don't know of any here in then US. You will have to take your chances. Also, there are not many, if any at all, spare barrels for the various Enfields, so a barrel change will probably require a custom barrel and fitting.

Have Fun!!!

T. O'Heir
September 22, 2007, 04:49 PM
Sporterizing a full military configuration Lee-Enfield will drop it's value in half. There are lots of them around that are already 'sporterized'. Find one of them and have the headspace checked before you do anything else. A No. 4 would be better than a No.1 if the headspace is bad. Then slug the bore. Hammer a cast .30 calibre bullet through the barrel and measure it with a micrometer. Lee-Enfields can have a bore diameter between .311" and .315" and still be considered ok. Larger than .315", the barrel is shot out and needs replacing.
Go to http://www.303british.com/ for load data. Remember that the cartridge is loaded with a .311" bullet in most factory ammo. If your bore is on the high end, you can get .312" bullets, but larger diameters are hard to come by. Steve at .303british makes 200 grain .313" and .314" SP bullets, but he's out of stock right now.
The felt recoil with a military butt stock is stout, to say the least. The military butt is narrow and seems to direct the recoil into your shoulder. It's not too bad when wearing a coat and you can get recoil pads that'll tame it though. Any of the synthetic stocks will significantly increase the felt recoil due to the reduced weight. You might find a nice commercial wooden stock though.
Doug is right about smithies and new barrels. They're few and far between Stateside. Used barrels in good condition are around. It requires a barrel vise, the proper action wrench and headspace guages to change one. The action wrench especially. Without it, the receiver will be twisted into an odd shaped paperweight. It's easy with the right tools though.

BrianBM
September 22, 2007, 09:24 PM
Gentlemen, thank you all. I am not hellbent on doing anything in particular to the rifle. If the recoil is annoying, or the barrel's shot out, I may leave it as is, and be content with the occasional range trip, just for fun.

When I examine it more closely, I'll post markings in detail, for whatever historical detail the scholars here can share.

DougW, are you the same gent as I know by that name on Stripersonline?

OldShooter
September 22, 2007, 09:40 PM
I have an Enfield #1 Mk III that has been sporterized, although it doesn't have a scope. The fore stock and and hand guard have been chopped and a lot of the the iron parts forward of the receiver are gone. I bought it that way thinking to return it to original. I would gladly trade.

As far as recoil, I have shot three versions of Mosin Nagants, various Mausers, 12 gage shotguns and others; the .303 British is quite a bit milder than any of those other bad boys. It is a good shooter though.

DougW
September 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
BrianBM, no, I have no other name on the boards. I am new here, but not to places like Gunboards.com (old Tuco's site) and The FAL Files.com.

Stripersonline, that is new to me, but not me.:confused:

I do love those Enfields though!:D

Johnny Guest
September 23, 2007, 05:19 PM
The Advanced Technology (http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-enfield.html) company has a line of replacement stocks and scope for most Enfields which require no gunsmithing, and leaves the rifle restoreable to original configuration. Their Enfield stocks used to be cataloged at Cheaper Than Dirt, but are no longer. The AT website can furnish the name of a dealer in your area who stocks their products.

I'm really not big on altering old military rifles, but if one must, I like to see it done so that the process may be reversed.

The rifle No. 4 was issued with a good aperture rear sight. About all the sporterizing needed has to do with reduction of weight my replacing the long military stock and hardware. The AT stocks include sling studs. If you can be satisfied with using iron sights, you can have a pretty decent sporter for around $70.

Best of luck - -
Johnny