PDA

View Full Version : Training help in Seattle, WA

JasoninSD
September 20, 2007, 05:04 PM
I have a friend who is going through a messy divorce in Seattle, WA and I am concerned her ex could get wierd. Anyway, I suggested she get training and get a carry permit and she was very receptive to this. She has shot a few long guns before but not a lot of handguns. Can anyone recommend a range in the Wallingford area where she could try out different options, revolver or semi auto. Also, anyone who does traing for a WA carry permit.

I am half a continent away and I am not much help here.

I will pass on suggestions to her when I speak to her next. Thank you very much for your help.

Jason

Bart Noir
September 20, 2007, 07:33 PM
You came to the right place. I suggest contacting Pax, she who helps run this forum, as she is in the Seattle area and, I believe, is an instructor.

This is her site:

http://www.corneredcat.com/

And there is not a formal requirement for training to obtain a CCW in WA State. But instruction is certainly a very darn good idea.

As for a range, there is Wade's in Bellevue and also Sam's in south Everett, and I believe those are the two close ones. They both have guns for rent and likely some instructional classes. But for training, I strongly suggest that your friend get in contact with Pax.

She should start the CCW application process ASAP as it is not instantly completed. As in a few weeks possibly. Again, Pax can help with sorting out the best place to apply. At least I think so, I should not commit her to anything but she has a high rep with us long-time readers.

Bart Noir
Who had better renew his CCW next month.....

Jammer Six
September 20, 2007, 08:17 PM
Pax is a long ways south of Wallingford.

See Paul, at Wade's, in Bellevue.

David Armstrong
September 21, 2007, 09:55 AM
Not sure where it is in relation to you, but Marty and Gilda Hayes at Firearms Academy of Seattle offer top-notch training in that part of the country.

PaulBk
September 21, 2007, 11:22 AM
FAS is a bit of a drive from Wallingford, but well worth it for formal training. They are probably the best 'bang for your training buck' place in the west. Great people, great facilities.

Wade's is much closer and has a huge selection of rentals. The range is well kept and modern. The store is well stocked, but pricey. Training there is OK, but I have had more than a few classes cancelled, some at the last minute. :(

-Paul

RickB
September 21, 2007, 12:23 PM
Strong +1 for FAS. First-rate instruction at very reasonable prices. Sam's has a good selection of rental guns, and they have NRA instructors available. NRA offers both in-the-home and on-the-street personal protection classes.

hknut
September 21, 2007, 03:56 PM
FAS's range is about 30 miles south of Olympia. And Wallingford is about 50 plus miles north of Olympia. Keep that in mind. Wades is way closer. Can't speak for either on training though.

Polishrifleman
September 21, 2007, 04:16 PM
Have her go over to Butch's guns on Aurora and ask. It's north of her about 25 blocks on the West side of the street by Green Lake. Wade's is in Bellevue and offers classes. Kenmore Gun Range offers classes.

http://www.wadesguns.com/

http://www.kenmorerange.com/

BigJimP
September 21, 2007, 05:58 PM
Wallingford is just a suburb - north of downtown Seattle.

Sams in Lynnwood is probably the easiest for her to get to - rent some guns - do some shooting. Sam's is well lit / good facility. Wade's in Bellevue is also a good place to shoot - better selection of rental guns - but she can't go in alone, unless she brings her own gun, they won't rent her a gun - she has to come in with a buddy and then they'll rent her a gun ( they had a person come in alone, rent a gun, commit suicide / so their logic is if a person comes in with a buddy, and they don't have their own guns, they won't commit suicide ...).

Sam's and Wades both sell guns / some prices good, some not - but the best place to buy a used or new gun in the area is DJ's in Bothell ( good guys ) but you have to know what you want. They can get you anything from Glock to Wilson Combat and have a lot of inventory - used and new.

There are also indoor ranges in Puyallup (Marksman ) and Tacoma ( Bullseye ) but Bullseye is a "hole". There are a few outdoor ranges around - Kenmore just north of her but no rental guns.

Training - Paul at Wade's in Bellevue is a "cowboy" and really full of himself / I wouldn't recommend him for any instruction. Other one n the area is "Insights" in Issaquah ( much better instruction in my opinion ) http://www.insightstraining.com/us/ , FAS is very good http://www.firearmsacademy.com/schedule.htm but it's in Chehalis about 2 hours south of Seattle - but they have some ladies only classes too. But FAS or Insights can help her out.

She might honestly do better right now to read a little about firing a weapon, get a friend to spend some time with her at one of the ranges, make a couple of casual friends at the range, figure out what she wants to have in a gun -and spend some time firing it before she goes to a class.

JasoninSD
September 28, 2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will pass them along. I really appreciate the help everyone is willing to offer, it is a good bunch of people here. :D

Jason