PDA

View Full Version : CZ 550 vs. Howa 1500 vs. Ruger 77 MK II

gunnie12
September 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
Of these "mauser-type action" rifles which is better or better function all-around?

Construction and quality?

Pro's and con's?

Recommendation and comments from experience?

Warranty and service?

Thanks in advance...!

onemsumba
September 9, 2007, 02:45 PM
I've had very good service from ruger on "warrenty" work. They fixed my Mk II free of charge for an issue I cuased through incorrect use of the bolt stop.

I do not have any experinces with any of the rifles mentioned.

I do have a CZ 453 and love it.

Scorch
September 9, 2007, 03:27 PM
Of the 3 mentioned, I prefer the Ruger because they are simply indestructible. Although they are not known as great shooters, I have had several that shot very well. The Howa is very reliable and typically very accurate. I had one in 223 many years ago. I have not shot a CZ, but they have a reputaton for fine accuracy.

FWIW, the Howa is technically not a "Mauser-type" (controlled round feed) action. It is a push-feed action.

Bigfatts
September 9, 2007, 05:38 PM
I would go CZ. I simply have not been impressed with any of the Rugers I have owned to pick them over another brand, the one exception to this was my Blackhawk .357/9mm convertable and I still didn't keep it. I am also not a fan of the looks of the 77. I have seen some of the most beautiful stocks lately on CZ rifles. I am also a big fan of the set triggers on the CZs.

castnblast
September 9, 2007, 07:17 PM
do a search on this forum under Howa 1500 and I bet you will not find a single negative post regarding them. They come in all grades, but the grade does not effect the accuracy. Just depends on how "pretty" you want your gun. Also, I would not categorize the 1500 as a Mauser action. It has a lot more similarities to a 700, but is really it's own design to a great degree. The bolt release is up top as opposed to the bottom like a 700. Also, the triggers are very easy to adjust, and have a greater "range" of adjustment on them. It also has the 3 position safety which I really like. My 1500 w/ a 22" barrel shoots 3/8-5/8" groups w/ my reloads. The gun may be capable of better, but the shooter isn't. I've always wanted to put it in a vice and see exactly how tight it really could shoot w/out any movement on part of myself. Overall, I really enjoy the gun, and am extremely pleased w/ its performance. :):):)I have not shot the others, so I can only speak about the Howa.

FirstFreedom
September 9, 2007, 11:09 PM
CZ or Howa - a cut above the other choice. Especially the CZ.

stevelyn
September 10, 2007, 07:35 AM
Ruger, but only because they're available in LH.

essexcounty
September 10, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'll echo CZ or Howa. The Howa is excellent, but push come to shove, I think I'd go with the CZ.....Essex