PDA

View Full Version : Bow Elk report

davlandrum
September 4, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hey all,

Been back a few days from bowhunting Roosevelt elk on the Oregon coast and just wanted to post a brief report.

No elk killed.

OK, a few more details. Out of 15 hunting chances (morning =1, afternoon = 1), I donated 5 to my kids, 4 to actually walking in the woods with them and 1 to transport them from Grandma to mom.

So I had 10 real opportunities. Got on elk 3 times. Not bad ratio for where we hunt.

2 of the times were shooting distance (less than 30 yards). One time, she saw me before I saw her - so as soon as I moved, she broke and ran for about a mile straight up a hill. She was part of a group of maybe 10, never saw the rest mind you, just heard them breaking brush in thier retreat. Other time was beaten by the wind.

Had a yearling hung up on a logging road for 45 minutes at 75 yards. Mama had already crossed and the yearling could not figure out what to do. Problem was the only place you could see was down the road. Tried crawling down the road, but at 50 yards, mama came back up with a purpose and moved out in a hurry. Not sure if it was wind or she just got edgy with junior acting so strange.

Weather was good. The last few years, we have gone week 3 and spent a week in the rain, this year we went week 1 so the boys could go. HOT! Miserable hot. No herding or rutting activity to speak of.

Next tags are rifle mule deer hunt in eastern Oregon. At least there will be some venison in the freezer after that...

paknheat
September 5, 2007, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. You don't have to fill a tag to have a good hunting trip. This has been the year for weird weather.

Scorch
September 6, 2007, 12:32 AM
Sounds like you had a good time, at least. I don't understand the weather this year: rain all summer, then hot and muggy.

FirstFreedom
September 11, 2007, 10:47 PM
Better luck next time; at least you saw some stuff and enjoyed the Great Outdoors; thanks for the report.

davlandrum
September 12, 2007, 11:00 AM
It was a good trip, and seeing animals is at least better than the last few years.

It is a really frustrating time in my life right now. Kids are just old enough to want to go, not old enough to be very quiet. 4 kids, full time job, farm on top of it all - just seems like I don't have time to unwind when hunting, since my time in the woods is so limited.

I know I should consider it a real blessing to be able to go at all, but man I just want to get one elk under my belt someday....