PDA

View Full Version : 1911 love

MTMilitiaman
September 3, 2007, 02:48 PM
I think there may be something wrong with me, for it seems the opinion here that the Glock and 1911 juxtaposed are directly contradictory to one another, and indeed, to have a liking for one should lead to a firey passionate loathing of the other. The two can not exist together, it seems, without planets falling out of orbit. I disagree.

I love my Glock 20. I carry it with two 15 round magazines and feel fairly well armed with 30 rounds of 10mm. It is not art or aesthetically pleasing. Though innovative, it is not complex in design or operation. Its frame is injection molded, and there isn't a lot of precision machining or fitting. But I appreciate and even admire it for what it is; reliable, effective, firepower for the people, and utilitarian tool whose real beauty comes from understanding its simplicity. It is like the AK of the pistol world.

I ran a couple mags through my bro's SA MilSpec 1911 this week end. Just picking it up, however, I was surprised at how well it fit in my hand, even though I was used to carrying and shooting the Glock. It just felt good and the additional weight gave it an almost soothing heft and balance. I marveled at how it just gently rolled back in my hand when I shot it, and by the time the slide locked back on the second magazine, I found myself thoroughly in love with the design. It felt solid and well made, like my M14, with the same care and precision given to its manufacture.

The two designs are different, but I don't think they are necessarily a bad different, or in any way destined to be opposed to each other. The 1911 shot a little lower, but it was nothing I couldn't get used to. The 10mm is snappier, but not unpleasant. I've been longing for a .45, since I consider it to be quintessential to the American male, and find those .45 caliber holes comforting on a very deep level that is difficult to explain to someone who has never felt it. I was looking at a 21SF to meet this need, but now am really considering a 1911. I don't have any qualms with owning and shooting both models, but then, I have both an AK and an M1A as well...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/glockand1911.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/M1AandMilSpec.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/M1AandAKlillypad2.jpg

Silvanus
September 3, 2007, 03:57 PM
I like both my Glock 17 and my Browning HP also. They are different in design and function, but they both work and shoot accurate for me. If I buy another semi-auto it will most likely be a DA/SA pistol. As long as it works for me, I don't care what trigger and safety features my handguns have.

That's a damn fine looking 1911 you have there by the way. I looks somehow rugged, like a combat handgun to me, I like that :D I love the rifle also, I haven't seen many M1As with synthetic stocks.

longeyes
September 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
Most of my handguns are Glocks or 1911s. I find them to be good kissin' cousins.

schmeky
September 3, 2007, 04:58 PM
After owning lots of different pistols, I am slowly reverting back to mostly 1911's. I seem to shoot them better (more accurately).

Not to mention my Colt 1911's and my old soldier Kimber Classic Custom have been bet-your-life reliable.

I'll keep my 1st generation Glock 17, but I prefer to shoot my 1911's.

nobanforme
September 3, 2007, 05:05 PM
NO Glocks for me!!! But I love the 1911's ;)

kristop64089
September 3, 2007, 05:40 PM
It is like the AK of the pistol world

One of the best descriptions of Glock that I've heard.

It is nowhere near as beautiful as a 1911.

I have a SS mil-spec that is without a Doubt, the most beautiful gun in my safe.

I'm to new to Glock to form a reliable opinion on them, but, I can already see that this G33 will probably become my main carry gun.

I consider it to be quintessential to the American male
Well Put

michael t
September 3, 2007, 07:08 PM
Colt 1911 all the way. No Blocks :barf: in my house not even visting

mattro
September 3, 2007, 08:03 PM
I sold my XD for a 1911.

But, I LOVED my XD. Shot incredibly accurate and extremely reliable! Touching holes at 15 yards, never ftf or fte.

But, I wanted a superb trigger.

I now love my SA TRP more than any handgun I have ever owned. The light, short trigger pull and perfect reset are awesome. The .45 is a smooth thump instead of the violent snap of a hot 9mm.

I wouldn't hesitate to own another XD, but, for me I think it is better to practice and memorize one type of gun for sd.

Beware of the man with one (type of) gun, he knows how to use it.

I would like to get a smaller lightweight 1911 for carry. Col Jeff Cooper said there are guns to "Carry alot and shoot a little" and guns to "Shoot alot and carry a little". Meaning the heavy steel vs the light aluminum frame guns.

KChen986
September 3, 2007, 09:31 PM
I don't have the $$ to own one right now, but ever since i shot my first SigArms GSR (1911 Sig.) I've been in love with 1911s. Can't wait to save up enough money to buy a carry piece. =D

MTMilitiaman
September 3, 2007, 10:31 PM
Colt 1911 all the way. No Blocks in my house not even visting

That's it. That's what I don't get.

Maybe I'll eventually grow to prefer one design over the other, but right now I don't understand why one has to make you throw up .

bigghoss
September 4, 2007, 01:13 AM
I have a colt1991 and I plan on getting a glock I also have 2 ruger pistols and 2 DA revolvers and a single action. I really don't think owning a glock and a 1911 is going to bring about armegeddon. but I'll check the bible just to make sure.

Silentarmy
September 4, 2007, 01:29 AM
I have found that the majority of "antiGlocks" have no real experience with Glock pistols at all! Maybe picked one up at a gunstore one day or fired a mag thru one somewhere if that. It seems that most of the haters are alot like racist rednecks who dont like Black because " pappy didin't like them colored's or ride Arctic Cat "cuz that's what pappy had! Chevy/ford/dodge
usually just ignorance or bigotry but seldom based on any notable personal experience!
I Like both platforms and my Daddy didn't have either one!!
I am 4th generation direct descendant of JMB and admire his work but I am not so ignorant as to believe that a new design can't be better or equal!

Frenchy
September 4, 2007, 03:00 AM
Both my 1911 and my HS2000 exist happily side by side. A purpose for both!....But I really like my 1911! :)