PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I like my XD-40?

kristop64089
September 1, 2007, 11:02 AM
Actually I'm just here venting, or thinking outloud.

I traded my 6" gp-100 2 years ago because I wanted a more utlitarian gun for SD. That was just when I had two guns. since i got it I have put 100 rnds thru it(total on the gun)

While it shoots great, since I have started collecting guns at a rapid rate, I find this to be the one gun I can't stand. As I compare it to all my other guns I find it the least appealing.

It also harbors features that I do like, suchas the grip, grip saftey. The ones that I don't like, really kill it for me, and the big one is the bore axis. I look at this bulky(almost looks like a hi-point to me) gun and wonder how anyone conceals a beast like this.

I looked at an SC XD-9 and it still appears to big, I think I understand the appeal of Glock now(I pick my first one up, as soon as I leave here).

It really saddens me too, as this is a really nice gun, It's almost like the perfect girl,with a really bad habit(like eating boogers), as much as ya like her, she has to go. Everytime i see a trade i'm interested in the, XD is barter material.

So, I made up my mind today. I have a gunshop that will trade me for a CW40 straight, a CZ-RAMI +$50, or a G-19 +$50

Right now I just want to let it go. Hpefully it finds a new home with somebody who will like it for who it is.

I am most certinally not bashing XD, I just find it bothersome, that after 2 years, I lost interest in something so much so, that I want it gone(I'm a packrat so this is not my nature).

Ok I'm done venting. thanks

MyXD40
September 1, 2007, 11:11 AM
Hey each to their own! buy what you like, use what you like. Simple enough! lol I had a quite a few guns in my time..and I just love my XD out of all of them. Personaly I hate glocks..and I think the XD is just a better version of the glock. But like I said, everyone has their own taste. Its good you're different, and you dont like the XD, and I say that in a nice way becasue how boring woudl this world be if EVERYONE likes the same thing! Gray cars/trucks, Tan houses, same outfit to work

Post pics of your new toy when you get it!!:cool:

Socrates
September 1, 2007, 11:17 AM
Kris:
No worries. A number of guns I've sold I wanted back, but, when I look back, the ones I want back are usually because I can't have them anymore. The worst thing in the world is to sell something, thinking that you'll be able to buy another one at a later time, and, have it turn out you can't, thanks to your Communist state government, like Kali's.

Also, remember the Clinton ban, and, we all need to get out and vote for Fred Thompson, otherwise it could come back, worse.

I'm not even sure what the XD's mag capacity is, but, I don't think they are 'the gun of the year' kind of stuff, either. Ugly, heavy, too heavy, for the category they fit in.
I'd rather carry a Glock subcompact, that's a good bit lighter. Plus, people's tastes change as they become more gun experienced. My first gun was a Walther PPK/S. Nearly 30 oz, it fired that wonderful, tiny, and expensive at the time,.380. When I compared it to a Detonics at a later date, the Detonics weighed the same, yet, it shot 45 Super.
It was also about the same size. Said goodbye to the Walther, and, despite Playboypenguin, never looked back.

Right now I sort of wish I hadn't invested in 375 H&H, would rather have had 9.3 X 62 for that area, and 458 Lott for a stopper. Instead, I have 30-06 and 375. Two more sane cartridges, but, not exactly what I really want, at least right now.

S esq.

No

Sarge
September 1, 2007, 11:27 AM
I liked mine so much that I gave it to one of my boys. I certainly wouldn't have given it to him if I hadn't proven that gun reliable, and it's sights regulated to 50 yards.

XD's are good pistols that just happen to be uglier than hell, and are imported by a company who thinks you're too stupid to replace the locking block, a pinned-in, 'tolerances-don't-matter' part in a gun which was obviously designed to be slapped together by third-world conscripts-and still work. Springfield's position on this issue has effectively prevented me from spending another dime with them over the past four years.

Of course 'ugly' don't matter for a shooting tool, of which the XD is a decent example. The parts issue only matters if you object to shipping your gun back for things you could easily fix yourself.

I've got 'some miles on the chassis' and I've come to realize that I am definitely not the customer profile that modern firearms companies are trying to appeal to. That's cool. I'm not trying very hard to appeal to them either.;)

kristop64089
September 1, 2007, 11:27 AM
mag Capacity is 12

heavy, too heavy, for the category they fit in.

probably my biggest hang up/combined with bore axis.

Not trying to be coolaid drinker, but when it comes to polymer I think the glocks have it in the bag.

Socrates
September 1, 2007, 12:07 PM
I agree. My only complaint was no safety, but that new aftermarket trigger, or a behind the trigger block you have to knock out, and, I can have my light 3.5# trigger, and a safety as well.

S esq.

hoytinak
September 1, 2007, 12:17 PM
I agree. My only complaint was no safety, but that new aftermarket trigger, or a behind the trigger block you have to knock out, and, I can have my light 3.5# trigger, and a safety as well.
There's an aftermarket trigger for the XD? Any more info. or where I might be able to find some? Thanks

Socrates
September 1, 2007, 12:47 PM
No. I was talking about the slide through safety for the glock trigger. I gather you have to push it side to side before the gun will fire.

Glocks have always concerned me, since I like excellent, light trigger pulls. With no safety, it's dangerous to have a 2-3 lb trigger.

S esq.

Richard
September 1, 2007, 12:52 PM
kristop64089, have you ever seen where I recommend holding handguns and then renting them prior to purchase? I own a bunch of 40 S&Ws and I can tell you it is my least favorite caliber. Again, why? I find the 40s recoil to be snappy and a 45acp or 9mm easier to shoot. I hope you resolve your problem and find a handgun that suits you. Regards, Richard:D

hoytinak
September 1, 2007, 01:13 PM
No. I was talking about the slide through safety for the glock trigger. I gather you have to push it side to side before the gun will fire.

Glocks have always concerned me, since I like excellent, light trigger pulls. With no safety, it's dangerous to have a 2-3 lb trigger.

Ok, yeah you just puch those blocks to the side before you fire. I know what you mean about the Glock trigger too. I had a 3 lbs. trigger on my 23 for a couple of weeks but didn't feel safe carrying it and ended up putting the 5 1/5 lbs. back in it. I know it was still prolly just as safe, I just wasn't comfortable with it so light on that gun.

FS2K
September 1, 2007, 01:42 PM
And I applaud you for being honest enough with yourself to admit that the XD series isn't all that it's hyped to be. I have seen far too many articles in way too many magazines praising these guns so much so that most people take it for granted that it's great.

Too Bad.

Glock IS the way to go for 9mm handguns. You will not be disappointed.

Socrates
September 1, 2007, 01:48 PM
Here's the link for the trigger:
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=4783

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/images/products/LWD-SIDER.jpg

Looks like a great idea, nice, and only 55 bucks.

S esq.

kristop64089
September 1, 2007, 03:09 PM
well, I just got back from my transfer FFL with my new G33.(it is so sweet:D)

and then..........................................

I took my XD-40 and my wife to the gun store.

I let her handle the Kahr CW9(p.o.s. imho) Racking the slide sounded like i was unzipping something.

The CZ rami which was WAY too heavy for a compact gun.(way too heavy)

You name it in .40 or 9mm we looked and held.

I kept the G19 for last. The minute she touched it, her eyes lit up and she said oooooooohhh!.

I traded my XD-40 on the spot.

Not only did I get my g33, I got my wife (and me,:D,mostly my wife)a g19 for our anniversary.

And, I no longer have to wonder why I don't like my XD.(this reads like a book report:o)

FS2K
September 1, 2007, 03:41 PM
I have that trigger on my G26 because I carry it in my pocket sometimes. It works great! Worth the added insurance if you ask me.

Socrates
September 1, 2007, 03:47 PM
Help me out here. The G 19 weights 21 oz unloaded, 30 loaded.
The G33 weighs 20 oz. 27 oz loaded.
Figures from Glock website.

CZ 2075 Rami weighs 25 oz, or a bit less, should be about 34-35 oz with a 14 round loaded magazine.

XD-40 About 25 oz, but, also carries 12 rounds of 40.

How do you carry that the 5 oz difference in the guns is such a big deal?

S esq.

kristop64089
September 1, 2007, 04:04 PM
Socrates, it was a felt perception. I believe it is mind over matter

I like the rami and will have one(this in the store was metal). But to pick the g-19 up right with the Rami, to me and the wife, felt lighter.

kristop64089
September 1, 2007, 04:06 PM
The XD_40 wears all it's weight on top, It is to top heavey for me. I didn't feel that it was a very balanced gun.

Ocraknife
September 1, 2007, 05:15 PM
mag Capacity is 12

Quote:
heavy, too heavy, for the category they fit in.
probably my biggest hang up/combined with bore axis.

Not trying to be coolaid drinker, but when it comes to polymer I think the glocks have it in the bag.

I don't know, H&Ks are pretty cool.

Tom2
September 1, 2007, 05:22 PM
I think they are butt ugly too, myself. But the proof is in the shooting and they seem to get great reviews for that. IF they were unreliable or bad shooters and butt ugly they would have vanished long ago. I guess they are still selling Scions and there are people driving Pontiac Aztecs so I guess you can overcome bad looks.

Madhouse
September 1, 2007, 06:19 PM
I'm a big fan of a full-size .45, I guess that's why I have 4 Kimbers and a RIA.

However, of my polymer handguns (4 of which are in .40), I'd say the XD-40 is my favorite. It's a geat shooter, feels real good in the hand, performs great.

Sorry to hear you can't like your XD-40, but I really like mine.

kristop64089
September 2, 2007, 07:49 AM
believe it or not I did like it once, I am definately not bashing XD's, I may get one again, but like I said at this time It's not for me.

On a side note if you are in the kc metro area I will tell you where it is at. It is 2 years old and(as I emptied the mag I recounted) It has 65 rnds thru it.

That was the problem, just never really shot it enough to be happy with it.

sholling
September 2, 2007, 12:48 PM
I find the grip works for me but I couldn't get past the top heavy design of the XD or the way too high bore. The butt fugliness of the thing didn't endear me to it either. I'm not a Glock fan either but that's because they don't fit my hand well. Glocks are fine weapons.

gordo_gun_guy
September 2, 2007, 01:15 PM
....there was going to be a puchline, like, "because I should have waited for the XD .45 to come out.":D

To each his own. I can apppreciate some of your objections, but they don't apply to me:

wonder how anyone conceals a beast like this.

I don't; I bought my 5" .45 soley to be a dedicated HD gun, with a TLR-2 on the rail. If I was thinking about carrying it, I'd agree that I'd be disappointed.

All I'll say about the bore axis, is, despite the XD's crappier trigger, I shoot faster splits with it than with a 1911, because of how much faster I recover from recoil with it. I haven't shot a Glock .45 to compare, but I hate the grip angle on the glock 9s and .40s I've shot.

(Really, I'd love Glocks if they pointed for me--they've got reliability, accuracy, a passable trigger, good optional sights, and I dig the Tenifer finish--but they don't point for me, so I'm firmly in the Glock hater camp.)

Then pistols I've regretted most were from reliability and durability issues--my finicky original Detonics that will never be relied on for carry and my Colt Lawman that shoots itself out of time with real .357 loads....

Good luck; if you insist on a .40 S&W, I'd point you towards the source. The Smith M&P .40 looks like a good bet. I've shot the M&P 9 and enjoyed the heck out of it. If the .40's recoil profile isn't bad, I think it would be a great choice. The Kahr and CZ would be nice, too.

kristop64089
September 2, 2007, 01:41 PM
while i do believe there is an angle difference with Glock, I find that I adjust to it within about a dozen draws(actually it is less than that). In fact what I am finding is that the more time I spend w/the Glock, is that my POA comes quicker, than with my XD. (threegun told me this would happen:o)

lee n. field
September 3, 2007, 09:27 AM
While it shoots great, since I have started collecting guns at a rapid rate, I find this to be the one gun I can't stand. As I compare it to all my other guns I find it the least appealing

I have a gunshop that will trade me for a CW40 straight, a CZ-RAMI +$50, or a G-19 +$50

As someone who happens to like my XD quite a bit, I say "Just do it. Life's to short to hang on to guns you don't like."

It's not that important. It's not like you're apostatizing from your religion.

There's an aftermarket trigger for the XD?

There's an aftermarket trigger bar and sear, aimed at the gun gamer market. No trigger, that I know of.

ActivShootr
September 3, 2007, 09:39 AM
Kris, I had the same problem. I wasted money on an XD-40 5" tactical model. It reminded me of a limp dishrag when I got through with it. The Croats did not build this one to last.

Richard
September 3, 2007, 09:50 AM
I want to make it clear that I do not own a XD. Why? I hold a grudge towards Springfield Armory. How, so? I remember when the Croat pistols sold for $249 and I was busy buying other handguns. I am now very sorry that there is this gap in my collection.

I have fired a whole bunch of XDs and they have all shot well for me. These include the 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45Gap. I liked each and every one of the XDs I shot. I like the grip and I also like the trigger on these Springers.

Let me know your opinion of the Croat. Thanks and

Regards,

Richard:D

kristop64089
September 3, 2007, 09:55 AM
Well, as I posted earlier I no longer have the XD. I felt I was better served by the Glock.(no comparison to each other at all).

i will say this again, most of my distaste was towards the 4" service. If you look at the side profile. The grip is so tall,

I may end up buying another xd in the future but most likely it will be a 5" tactical .45acp

easyG
September 3, 2007, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have the actual dimensions of the XD and a comparable Glock?

Or better yet, a side-by-side picture comparison?

I'm not so sure that the XD is any larger that the Glock.

kristop64089
September 3, 2007, 10:42 AM
these are kind of crappy but it's all I have

Glock 19
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/kristop64089/Glocks/Image021.jpg

Glock 33
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/kristop64089/Glocks/Image022.jpg

XD-40 service
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/kristop64089/XD-40%20pics/100_0559.jpg

Like I said it was mostly asthetics with this one, grip just looks as long as slide. XD is bulkier than the G19, and since they are both 4" barrels. The XD had to go.(this was to be my wifes carry gun)

Redneck with a 40
September 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
Since this thread has turned into an XD bashing festival, I'll go ahead and chime in.:rolleyes: I REALLY, REALLY, like my XD-40, its the best semi-auto pistol I have ever owned. I have smallish hands, the XD's grip frame size and angle are perfect for me, it points very naturally, mine is very accurate, and has been 100% reliable after 3000 rounds, mostly my handloads. The XD also points very naturally for me. One more thing, I don't buy guns for their beauty, I want dead nuts reliability.:p

I've handled a few glock's and that's as far as that went. The grip frame size and angle are all wrong for me. I found that I was pointing the glock down when I held it with a normal grip, I've heard this complaint from more than a few people. Sure the Glock is a good gun, but its not for me.

Personally, I'll put my XD up against any Glock, anytime. The XD has passed many of the same grueling torture test's that the Glock has undergone, with flying colors.

All this talk about bore axis is irrelevant to me, the recoil is no problem for me anyway.

So unlike some of you guy's, the XD would be the LAST gun I ever get
rid of.

Part of me thinks the Glock fans are pissed because the XD is actually giving the Glock a run for its money, a legitimate challenge to Glock.:p

kristop64089
September 3, 2007, 01:45 PM
Since it's my thread, I will say this was not started to bash the XD.

Up until a few mos. ago I was the apitomy of "anti-glock"

That was until I got to shoot and handle the Glock....I used to buy into the grip angle problem, (which it was noticible at first), but, like I said I find my self on POA quicker with the Glock than with the XD.

Accuracy was fine with the XD, and I have no doubt about reliability. But, I never warmed up to the Xd service like I thought I would.

FS2K
September 3, 2007, 06:18 PM
It's about giving a straight forward opinion about the XD without any sugar coating or double talk.

If you are happy with your XD40, good for you. I hope it serves you well. As for me, I OWN both Glocks and an XD45. I have more than 2 decades of handgun experience and I am confident I know the difference between a good trigger and a bad one, a top heavy gun compared to one with a low bore axis, and can decifer features from fluff.

And I don't like Springfields XD line.

I spent allot of my hard earned money on my XD45. Maybe my expectations were too high, perhaps I have higher standards than most I'm not sure, but what I AM sure about is my ability to recognise a great handling/shooting handgun from a bad one, and all names and model #'s aside I know that the Springfield XD series are average handguns at their very best.

I won't give the XD a better review just because I blew allot of my money on one, and I won't try to justify my lack of better judgement by looking for any redeeming features in my XD. Truth be known there's absolutely nothing special about the XD. It's just another run of the mill plastic framed Glock wanna be with a few added bells and whistles thrown in to attempt to set itself apart from the rest. Had those bells and whistles found their way onto a better handgun I would be the first to say so, but unfortunately for me they haven't.

I can see how it would be hard for some people to admit that they made a mistake by buying an XD. Don't feel bad, I was suckered into buying one just like you. Like you I believed in all of the hype the marketing division at Springfield Armory had generated for the series and bought one. YES the guns grip angle is comfortable. YES the XD is extremely thin and narrow for a Double Stacked .45 ACP, and of course it's just a hair larger than the XD9. These things are undisputable. Unfortunately they DON'T make the XD45 handle any better than it does. It is still a top heavy handgun with a sloppy, vague trigger.

The Glock, any Glock is simply a superior Combat Handgun than an XD. And TIME will backup this statement in the years to come.

Redneck with a 40
September 3, 2007, 07:26 PM
I guess since the XD is a crappy gun, that's why the gun dealers cannot keep them in stock? I've heard more than a few cases of them being backordered, even a large dealer in Pheonix was back-ordered on them. But the XD is a crappy gun, its not popular, it takes a back seat the all mighty Glock.:rolleyes: Whatever!! I guess this is why the XD has won dozens of awards over the last few years, and the glock? Haven't seen too many trophies come the Glock way.:p

I know one thing is for damn sure, I didn't make a "mistake" when I bought my XD, I love it and I will never part with it.:p You can keep your Glock.:p

kristop64089
September 3, 2007, 07:39 PM
I guess since the XD is a crappy gun, that's why the gun dealers cannot keep them in stock? I've heard more than a few cases of them being backordered, even a large dealer in Pheonix was back-ordered on them. But the XD is a crappy gun, its not popular, it takes a back seat the all mighty Glock. Whatever!! I guess this is why the XD has won dozens of awards over the last few years, and the glock? Haven't seen too many trophies come the Glock way.

This argument can go both ways, Once again this isn't a glock Vs. Xd pi**in match( everybody knows that only gets your feet wet)

I only posted to vent my personnal experience with the "gun that beats Glock"
Which like I said before, they are 2 tottaly different guns.

The XD is over-engineered...and the Glock is Under-engineered

gordo_gun_guy
September 3, 2007, 08:29 PM
I guess since the XD is a crappy gun, that's why the gun dealers cannot keep them in stock?

Well, even though I'm an XD lover and Glock hater, I think the "selling like hotcakes" is more a function of marketing/media hype (even American Rifleman) and the fact the XD is an outlet for people who swore up and down they'd never buy a Glock to get Glock like performance....plus its a slow boat from Croatia;)

I only posted to vent my personnal experience with the "gun that beats Glock"

One of my last memories of my paternal grandfather (WWII pacific vet who became a mechanical engineer of some note using his GI Bill), is him showing me a pop mechanics-type magazine article on the Glock when it was new. Parkinson's made it difficult to understand if he thought it was a good or bad design, but it piqued his engineering interest enough to take time showing it to his grandson.

Since then, the Glock--love it or hate it-- has become the standard for autopistols. So, I think a lot of stuff marketed since is consciously designed to be Glock beaters; to meet the Glock standards of performance/reliability while addressing some perceived fault:

XD45 = Glock in a real caliber with ergonomic 1911 grip angle and gratuitous warm fuzzy of a grip safety

Kahr = Glock with classier lines, simpler trigger design, appearance of quality vs industrial chic

SW M&P = more ergonomic and stylish, made in USA Glock substitute

HK USP = Hey, those Glock dudes stole our polymer pistol idea--lets beat them at the high end of the market:)

I'm sure there are others....

kristop64089
September 3, 2007, 08:33 PM
The Kahr was a close 2nd, except the to models I saw (cw,40 pm40) sounded like I was unzipping something when I racked the slide:(

Redneck with a 40
September 3, 2007, 09:34 PM
I had to post my "rant" because FS2K's condescending tone really ticked me off. Trying to tell me and others that buying an XD was a "mistake". He's not the gun god.:rolleyes:

Socrates
September 4, 2007, 07:15 AM
My take. XD offers what would be nice on a glock, grip safety.
However, with the new little trigger safety from Wolf, that concern is addressed, or a block behind the trigger.

S

Officer's Match
September 4, 2007, 07:33 AM
From the moment I found out you have to send the XD's in to Springfield Armory for any type of repair, I haven't given them a second thought.

FS2K
September 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
I had to post my "rant" because FS2K's condescending tone really ticked me off. Trying to tell me and others that buying an XD was a "mistake". He's not the gun god.

Geez, is this a 2nd grade playground or a place to discuss guns? Awe, redneck did I hurt your feelings?

Stop apologising to this guy kris. If he can't get past the fact that we are talking about an inatimate object and not one of his family members it's his problem, not yours. You did nothing wrong by posting how you felt.

It's another good example of how certain people can't seperate real life and the internet, and how the some people can take the strangest things personally.

Hey redneck, you like you gun. I got it the first time, you really didn't have to post a 2nd time. Why did you feel the need to post that 2nd time anyway? Are you feeling a bit insecure about your purchase? Hey, sales numbers don't mean a thing other than Springfield has an excellent marketing dept. Repeat sales numbers are more important and it will be years before those numbers make themselves known. (See, I told you this to carry on the discussion, this is how you add to a subject not by repeating yourself: I like my XD40! next post: Stores sell allot of them! I like my XD40! See what I mean?)

On the internet, it's your descision whether or not you want to take something that's not directed to you personally. My suggestion is you don't. You may not agree with everyone, which is why discussion boards like this exist, so discuss...don't whine and complain about it.

kristop64089
September 4, 2007, 05:15 PM
FS2K, I wasn't apoligizing :), I just didn't want to start another VS's thread.

Actually your thread from a month or so ago, actually got me thinking about reconsidering a Glock.
"
I thought about starting a thread as to "why do you hate Glock?"
If the people that Like them are "kool-aide drinkers"
What about the masses that hate them because they KB? or Have never handled them?

I got crucified 6mos ago for taking a negative slant on Taurus, even tho I have never owned them (I actually don't think I ever criticized their products, just making comments on their C.S.. Which ,because I can form my own opinions based on info gathering, I 've decided that Taurus is not what I want right now. Even tho they have a few guns I like) Well I have now owned an XD and in my OPINION it looks like a $500 hi-point! (since we're down to brass tacks)

Redneck with a 40
September 4, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'll just say that I did a lot of research into what I wanted before I bought my XD, like a month's worth. Numerous magazines, talking to gun store owners, ect. You can rest assured, I have absolutely no reservations about having bought my XD, I've got 3000 rounds through it, mostly my reloads, with ZERO failures. The XD fits ME better than most other guns out there, isn't that the best strategy, buying a gun that fits ME the best? One that I am very accurate with, and have a lot of confidence in?? Why would I want to buy a Glock when the grip angle does not suit me at all, much less the grip size of the Glock, which is larger than the XD? Why would I want a gun that does not fit me? I'd end up shooting low with the damn thing. Oh, but I forgot, Glock's are king, it doesn't matter how it fits ME, its the only pistol worth having.:rolleyes: Not exactly how I go about buying a pistol.

I will happily take the challenge of a Glock owner who wants to talk s*** about my XD at the range.:p

Another poster mentioned the XD was not built to last? As I recall the XD survived a 20,000 round torture test after firing 17,000 rounds prior to the actual torture test. They froze it, dropped it in mud, ran over with a truck, poured sand in it, dunked it in water, ect. The XD never failed.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

You guy's can can hate the XD all you want, but I don't have to like what you guys like, and vise versa. For ME, the XD works, its a good, solid, reliable, well made pistol.

redblair
September 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
I've been holding back. Every time I see the name of that I gun I wonder if I should shoot it at targets or bike chains. Is it XD-40 or WD-40? :)

B

Bob Hostetter
September 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
Just my 2 cents.............

The parts issues for the XD are largely history with the factory selling alot of the parts direct from the factory. Several other parts are available from a couple of different selected dealers such as Springer Precision. The aftermarket industry is now producing several different parts for the XD allowing for upgrades to the pistol for customizing and competition use. You can get aftermarket sears, trigger bars, guide rods, sights, mag buttons, magwells, and a lot of other stuff. So the issue of the Glock being a better pistol because of factory and aftermarket support is a dead issue at this point.

For a lot of people the grip angle on the XD is much easier to shoot with and the trigger can be be improved way beyond the best Glock trigger out there. The Glock is a little easier to maintain or work on but the XD has much better chamber support especially in the 40S&W where it is needed the most. The Glock replacement parts are fairly inexpensive but the XD has a life time warranty. And the XD seems to have less small parts failures then the Glock.

Either pistol is a good choice if your choice is based on using it as a service type weapon. For tuneability for competition or other specialized uses the XD is a much better choice.

Before you ask I own several of both and shoot them a lot. I have a Glock with over 100,000 rounds thru it and a XD with about 60,000 rounds thru it.

IM_Lugger
September 5, 2007, 12:32 PM
I've never liked XD's myself but than again I don't like Glocks either....

have you handled M&P? I like it a lot more than the other two brands :)

MyXD40
September 5, 2007, 12:44 PM
Think of a gun like your car...You buy/use the brand you like and what fits your lifestyle best

flight954
September 5, 2007, 12:55 PM
I presently carry an XD40 S/C using the CrossBreed SuperTuk holster, it is a bit bulky, but I'm getting used to it. Overall it's a great throw down weapon, this is why I've chosen to carry it. I bought an XD45, ran about 400 rds through it and didn't like it @ all. I ended up trading it for my Kimber Eclipse Pro II.

minsonngo
September 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
Good going on the Glocks.

I know I love mine!

XDs are okay... but don't worry about what people think... it is ALL about what you like.

MyXD40
September 5, 2007, 02:54 PM
:rolleyes:

Silvanus
September 5, 2007, 02:58 PM
Up until a few mos. ago I was the apitomy of "anti-glock"

That was until I got to shoot and handle the Glock....

I hear that a lot;)

I don't like XDs, but I respect them. I know they are good guns, just not for me.

KodiakCoastie
September 10, 2007, 12:27 AM
If you guys want a pretty in Pink gun than the xd is not for you but if you want somthing that is more than looks and has some valuethan I sujest the xd. I Enjoy my xd-40 it shoots Great I trust my life with it its a great gun. I look at it as the Landrover of guns it is pratical it gives you what you need and looks like what I think a gun should look like. Is it a display gun no is it a workhorse yes.

ActivShootr
September 10, 2007, 08:40 AM
Another poster mentioned the XD was not built to last? As I recall the XD survived a 20,000 round torture test after firing 17,000 rounds prior to the actual torture test. They froze it, dropped it in mud, ran over with a truck, poured sand in it, dunked it in water, ect. The XD never failed.

Guess I bought a lemon then huh? Oh well, I have never liked fruit that much anyway. Does Glock make a vitamin C supplement?

kat1950
September 10, 2007, 11:19 AM
They are both excellent guns for what they were made for, very reliable, and as accurate as needed for that purpose. Have them both and like each.

ActivShootr
September 11, 2007, 01:09 AM
Are they made for different purposes? How many gov't agencies around the world issue Glocks and how many XD's? In TN alone I would have to take off both shoes to count the number of departments that issue Glocks.