PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my 10/22 barrel?

Lavid2002
August 26, 2007, 01:00 PM
After a day of shooting skeet and some .22 I was unable to clean my 10/22 barrel. I attempted to put a patch with some bore solvent thru the rifle chamber end to muzzle when the cleaning rod was stuck 1"- 1, 1/2" into the bore. I looked through the barrel at a light on my ceiling and saw nothing. I attempted to push the cleaning rod through the barrel from the muzzle and it got stick 1/2 way thru it. I took another glimpse at the bore at the light and noticed a small lump on the top of the chamber. No noticeable bumps on the outside of the barrel, or problems in the field. This was strange. What I attempted to dislodge the obstruction and soak and scrape it away wwith a bore brush by turning it but it grabbed onto and ruined my bore brush. I took out my spare 10/22 barrel and threw the old one away. For giggles what do you think happened?

homefires
August 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
Sounds like leading to me!

nbkky71
August 26, 2007, 01:55 PM
accumulated bullet lube? a piece of a stuck cleaning patch?

Did you notice anything odd when firing the rifle?...anything that would indicate a problem such as a squib load.

homefires
August 26, 2007, 02:06 PM
Did you remove the barrel for cleaning? How do you run a rod from the chamber end on a 10/22? Leading is the only thing I could think of. Go dig it out of the trash!

hps1
August 26, 2007, 02:08 PM
I would suspect a bullet became lodged in the barrel from a previous shot (defective cartridge) and subsequent shots resulted in severe leading of the bore. You might try pulling a brush through the bore by pushing bare rod all the way through the barrel and screwing brush on, then pull rod out.

Regards,
hps

Lavid2002
August 26, 2007, 02:21 PM
I did hear a change in sound but when I removed the barrel...nothing. P.S. to clean from the breech you remove the 2 screws on the v-block and remove the barrel. The only way I clean!
Anyways. I cant even run the rod itself through the barrel how am i to run a brush through it?!

Lavid2002
August 26, 2007, 02:38 PM
I just bent my cleaning rod!!!! I tried to push it through! Bent the cleaning rod. and upon removal hit myself in the face lmao! I hate this #@%$ barrel!

Bushido
August 26, 2007, 11:24 PM
Something you might think about doing with your 10/22.Some drill the rear of the receiver so you can fit the cleaning rod without removing the barrel.All you have to do is remove the trigger group and bolt.I did mine and it's really good.Some say by removing barrel from receiver too much,it loosens the fit over time and may cause barrel droop.Some even thread the barrel/receiver so removal is not possible.---Thought I'd share.my $.22.

Martyn4802
August 27, 2007, 05:27 AM
Use a 20 caliber rod, and scrub the bore using some Shooter's Choice Lead remover. Sounds like leading to me.

Martyn

Picher
August 27, 2007, 07:41 AM
Yes, sounds like leading. Did you a lot of rounds between cleaning and gotten the barrel pretty hot?

What kind of barrel is it; factory? Did the bore seem rough prior to the problem? What kind of ammo were you using?

Picher

Edward429451
August 27, 2007, 09:32 AM
I leaded up my 10/22 one time so bad that when I tried to run the cleanng rod down the barrel it pushed the lead ahead of it and plugged it solid. It took about two weeks of getting a sliver or three out per night and soaking inbetween. plug the chamber end and stand it in a drip pan and don't try to go all the way at once. In till it stops back out repeat etc.

My 10/22 shoots as good as ever so your barrel isnt ruined. Just be patient and soak/clean/soak/clean. It was Rem UMC that did this to my 10/22.

cryption
August 27, 2007, 10:43 AM
man I haven't cleaned mine in about 2000 rounds ... I think I'm going to do that when I get home.

Lavid2002
August 27, 2007, 06:13 PM
shoot 4 mags through a 10" circle at 50 yards rapid pace and i guess that would cause it to lead up : P.....

Average Joe
August 27, 2007, 06:34 PM
Thats why I always clean my guns after every use...

Edward429451
August 27, 2007, 06:59 PM
shoot 4 mags through a 10" circle at 50 yards rapid pace and i guess that would cause it to lead up

Nope. Not unless its cheap ammo. Only certain ammo leads mine up regardless of how much or how fast I shoot. What kind of ammo were you shooting?

Maybe try some CCI Mini-Mags.

Lavid2002
August 27, 2007, 08:27 PM
Thats why I always clean my guns after every use...
I clean my rifle EVERY time after using it. I have never not cleaned this rifle more then 1 hr after shooting...this little .22 gets more attention than most high end rifles get. This ones not because of lazyness...

Lavid2002
August 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
Nope. Not unless its cheap ammo. Only certain ammo leads mine up regardless of how much or how fast I shoot. What kind of ammo were you shooting?

Maybe try some CCI Mini-Mags.
Well it was a whole brick. Its strange ive been shootin liekt his for over a year and now I get this problem. It was rem. thunderbolts..as cheap as it gets! But stil never had a prob. before....:confused:

homefires
August 27, 2007, 08:34 PM
That was your problem. I quit buying them Rem Thunderduds!!!!!!!!

Did you hear , Bang, Bang, Dump, Poop, Bang, Bang Wump?????????

I bought a brick and tossed half out. I thought it was as old or bad batch. I bought some more at a different store and they did the same crap!!!!!!!

Never again for me!

wolverine350
August 27, 2007, 09:09 PM
was you shooting remington thunderbolts? those things are bad news