PDA

View Full Version : ummmm NOT HOW I KNOW THE AR-15

Lavid2002
August 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
Hey guys....I was scrolling through google and found this
http://www.ocshooters.com/Reports/cobis/ar15b.jpg
Note the hammer. It has a small pin on it labeled "Firing pin" The diagram shows the hammer with the firing pin as a part of the hammer striking the cartridge.....Am I an idiot or is this diagram wrong? As far as I know the hammer strikes the firing pin in the carrier wich travels thru the bolt AND THEN strikes the primer.... : /
Please tell me what im seeing/thinking wrong here:confused:
lol thanks fellas

45SuperBob
August 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
You're right and they are wrong. That is weird they are that far off.

Jim Watson
August 18, 2007, 08:22 PM
Looks to me like typical anti-gun mumbo jumbo at the CSI tv level.
The main surprise is that a supposed shooting organization promotes it.

Casp_A
August 18, 2007, 09:29 PM
I... I can't help but laugh at that... it's so wrong. Did anyone notice their "rifling pattern"? I think I'm going to be ill...

Edit: They also claim it to be an AR-15, but the drawing of the trigger group (already erroneous on it's own merit) shows an M16A2 burst fire assembly. Anti-gun agenda aside, the person who drew that diagram should have the word "IDIOT" branded into his forehead.

FirstFreedom
August 18, 2007, 10:12 PM
"hammer strikes the detonator cap"

Bwaaahahaha. I love how that hammer is flying way up over the top to the front like it's got a secondary hinge on it. :p

scouter27
August 18, 2007, 11:06 PM
im gonna go file down my firing pins right now. thatll show em

click
click
click

oops:rolleyes:

SpookBoy
August 18, 2007, 11:10 PM
wow I agree with all of you ,HAHA how dumb can you get .I think even airsoft guns are a bit more complicated then that

DnPRK
August 18, 2007, 11:35 PM
The cartoon is of the 3 round burst trigger group from an M-16A2. The tab on top of the hammer, erroneously labeled "firing pin", is for the auto sear to catch.

firechicken
August 18, 2007, 11:52 PM
If that's a 22 cal bullet shown, I'm gonna guesstimate the rifling at a 1 in 1/4" twist. That would be good for very long bullets going very slow.....I guess. Can someone tell me how shortening the barrel will change the rifling?????

Billy Sparks
August 19, 2007, 04:35 AM
Did anyone notice where the original diagram came from? Some website called FirearmsID.com which if you surf to is site about forensic firearms identification.

Double Naught Spy
August 19, 2007, 07:03 AM
In looking at the diagram, I am still trying to figure out how the hammer flies through the magazine and rounds in the magazine such that the "firing pin" is then able to detonate the "detonator cap" of a round that is about 1/6th the way into battery.

joshua
August 19, 2007, 07:04 AM
If we have people in forensics thinking this is how an AR work then we are in bigger trouble than we thought. josh

mdshooter
August 19, 2007, 10:37 AM
Anybody know where I can find some of those "harder bullets" that "resist rifling marks"?

What a crock!

Powderman
August 19, 2007, 01:44 PM
Ahem.

Rebore or shorten a barrel, to change the rifling?

Remove "casings" from the scene?!

File down or replace the firing pin?!?

I think I'm gonna hurl.....excuse me....:eek::(:barf:

Chris Phelps
August 19, 2007, 01:50 PM
Even more stupid, and apparently not caught by anyone here, is the lack of anything in this diagram which would hold the shell in place while the bullet is fired. hmmmmmm.