PDA

View Full Version : Rem XCR w/ iron sights: scope mounting

russell2pi
August 17, 2007, 05:18 AM
Hi,

I just put down a deposit on a Remington 700 XCR in 375 H&H :D and am just wondering, has anyone had trouble with the iron sights in terms of scope mounting? Both of them stick up a long way from the barrel, especially the rear sight, and I worry they may be in the field of view of the scope.

I'd be interested to hear if you have or haven't had problems, with what mount/scope combo.

I'm planning on sticking a VX-I 2-7x33 on it, not sure what mounts yet. Possibly Leupold with QRWs. Obviously want it as low as possible.

boltgun71
August 17, 2007, 11:18 AM
I have a VX-I 4-12X40mm scope on a Remington 700 ADL with ironsights. All I had to due for it to work properly was adjust the sight notch to the top of the ramp to clear the scope bell. This allows me to still have ironsights available if I have to remove the scope for whatever reason instead of searching for them. The scope bell now just hovers barely over the bottom of the ramp by a 1/4" or so with no clearance issues. The VX-I 2-7X33 model you are looking at is 1.5" shorter than the 4-12 model I have so their definently shouldn't be any clearance issues with your scope regardless of the sight notches position on the riflesights. My 700 is a .300 Win Mag so it is the same length action, as long as they mount the sights in the same location on the XCR as they did with the ADL I dont think you will have any issues. If you plan on putting flip open scope caps on, they might interfere with the sight though, requiring you to cut a notch in the caps to go around the sight. Hope this helps.

P.S. Congratulations on picking a Rem 700! I love my 700's, hope you enjoy yours.