PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in North Central Florida interested in getting together and training?

ISC
August 12, 2007, 11:53 PM
Would anyone be interested in some informal training? I talking about starting off with some basic safety and weapons handling and working up to MOUT and light infantry drills. I'd like to get to the point where a club for tactical shooting could be organized by interested parties.

My experience is primarily military (infantry) I'd love to share some of my knowledge and get others to teach a couple classes on subjects we have experience in.

This may seem a little ambitious, and I know that I'm fairly new here. I've been a regular at assaultweb for years,some of ya'll may know me from there.

If there is any interest we can figure out some details.

threegun
August 13, 2007, 11:19 AM
Why military tactics? The only serious treat US civilians face is from our own military/government turning on the citizens. Seems unconventional or gorilla style tactics would be better. Going against a much larger force with the same tactics and less equiptment is suicidal. Just a thought.

ISC
August 13, 2007, 12:26 PM
I guess because I'm in the military. Let me make it clear, I don't envision creating a militia group where fat old wannabe's pretend to be soldiers and discuss fantasies about endless scenarios and zombie attacks.

I am an infantryman. I enjoy teaching infantry skills. Even when I was training with SF, those same infantry skills were the heart of what we trained in. Movement to contact, react to contact, break contact, conducting an ambush, immediate action drills, hasty attack, etc are all elementry military skills that have many applications. These battle drills are the heart of squad tactics and can easily be applied to a fireteam sized element. I hope to learn from others in the process. I will try to recruit anyone who wants to train with me into the National Guard.

Even if participants anticipated having to defend themselves against a much larger organized military force (ie a UN "peacekeeping force), knowing your opponents likely course of action would be invaluable.

If the anticipated threat was a disorganized mob/gang (ie Katrina scenario) knowing how to coordinate an attack, movement techniques, individual movement techniques, command and signal, and a multitude of other bits of knowledge would be invaluable.

Additionally it would be great for someone to come in with medical knowledge beyond my first responder/combat life saver training(ie an EMT). That would be one type of class that sort of thing would be good too, as would other subjects that might be suggested by participants.

I've tried this before and ended up being contacted by a variety of people ranging from serious enthusiests interested in developing skills incase they ever found themselves in a general breakdown in society to pencil necked geeks who thought they'd be playing a grown up version of Dungeons and dragons.

Mannlicher
August 13, 2007, 01:07 PM
howdy ISC, nice to see you here.

PPGMD
August 13, 2007, 01:12 PM
The hard part is finding ranges to do such training at. I'm near Tampa, we have a SWAT member, and instructor that is does some training but he's real limited by the facilities down here.

In Florida I only know of two facilities that would work for such training, the first is privately owned by a training company down near MIA, and the second can't be open very often because of the neighbors complain (yes it was there first, yes they knew it was there, that doesn't stop anyone). It's in Lakeland and they invite instructors like Pat Rogers and Randy Cain to come and do training once a month.

ISC
August 14, 2007, 04:16 PM
The biggest part of any training wouldn't invole any live fire. Honestly, only a small percentage of shooters that I've met have the skills or discipline to do any sort of live fire training unless they're prior military, and even then a crawl and walk phase are needed before running.

I'd lump most cops in that generalization, they are notoriously ignorant about firearms and real world weapons safety.

PPGMD
August 14, 2007, 07:16 PM
You would be surprised the disipline of those that want to get this type of training. At schools like Gunsite, you are expected to have a hot weapon on you at all times.

ISC
August 14, 2007, 07:51 PM
I'm not saying that discipline can't be developed, only that alot of things would need to be done with empty weapons before live ammo should be put in the mix.

ISC
August 15, 2007, 11:15 AM
I'm thinking a couple classes of interest might include:

Land navigation
Movement techniques
movement to contact
react to contact
break contact
hasty attack
hasty ambush
react to ambush
room clearing/mout
foreign weapons familiarization
first aid/combat lifesaver
occupying a patrol base/patrol base activities
building a hooch

Please add any additional topics that ya'll would be interested in going to a class to learn.

JoeBlackSpade
August 15, 2007, 02:16 PM
Sup ISC.

(A) Having a natural disaster/ crisis management plan- a la Hurricane Katrina- might be one...

(B) Medical/first aid/CPR- in a rural setting (what do you do when you are get bitten by a snake? +5 if you answered "bite 'em back".) But you have this one on your list...

(C) How about basic survival (water, fire, shelter etc.)?

(D) Plant identification (not only the toxic ones, but for medicinal and food properties)

(E) Preperation of a field expedient MEAL, also known as "there's more than one way to skin a rabbit... in the woods." For the resident vegetarians, please see point (D).

(F) Rock climbing and descent skill

Most of these peripheral skills are probably not "infantry" specific, but all of them could be learned from an infantryman, and don't require full-blown doomsday scenarios to be applicable, relevant and practical (like taking your kids camping).

For the rest of us hardcore types, we can do Australian Peels just for fun!