PDA

View Full Version : Scope help needed

Georgian
August 11, 2007, 09:51 AM
Hey yall. I have a H&R Sportster .22WMR that I am interested in scoping. However, I have little experience with scopes, with the exception of using one or 2 scoped rifles that were already sighted in. I have no clue how exactly to work with a scope, as far as sighting it in is concerned. I understand that one adjustment knob is used to windage and the other for elevation, but know little about about scopes, there power, etc. If someone could run me through the basics and recommend a good scope I would appreciate it.

Full-choke
August 11, 2007, 10:02 AM
Okay, somewhere in the fixed 4x range would work well with a 22WMR rifle. You don't need anything too much, there is no sense in counting the hairs on the groundhog you are shooting at. BSA, Bushnell, Konus and Tasco all make affordable scopes that will handle that rifle fine. Some make rimfire scopes too that are set to do something you are calling for.

As far as sighting in, you have to mount the scope and then bore sight it. If you don't have a bore sight, then almost any gun shop will help you out. If you buy the scope and rings through a gunshop, they ought to mount and broesight it for free. Once you get it boresighted, you have to zero it in. To do that I always fire off something good and solid to take human error out of the equation. If you have a table and some good sand bags, that will do the trick. Get a visible target setup and put the crosshairs right in the middle. I'd start at a 100 yard zero so make sure you are roughly 100 yards away from your target too. From there, use your windage and elevation adjustments to bring the bullet to the center of the target. If you shoot high and to the left, you will bring the crosshairs down and to the right. The adjustments will tell you how much and which direction to move them. Most are 1/4" at 100 yards so that will give you a good start. It is a lot fire, adjust, fire, adjust...but definitely well worth it in the end. I think you will be pleased with that rifle when you get it scoped good, I had one once that was a real killing machine for a truck gun on groundhog missions :D

Scorch
August 11, 2007, 09:26 PM
I have my 22 Mags scoped with Leupold 2X-7X and 2.5X-8X. I had one with a 1.5X-5X. It worked OK for out to 75 yds but I did not particularly like that power range for the longer shots on small targets. It depends on your application, paper, small varmints, etc. I like the 2X-7X, but would avoid anything over about a 3X-9X because it is hard to focus on the close up shots.