PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense

schwarz_06
August 7, 2007, 07:09 PM
Now here is a topic with many different views, all of them have some merit. But this is the argument. . . What is the best weapon for home defense. Some people believe that a handgun is the best due to its ease of location, ie: nightstand, under the matress etc. Some say a rifle because of the stopping power. And others say a shotgun with some good old fashioned buchshot. Personally as a cop and a designated marksman, i have the theory that if you miss or if a round travels through a person's body, that round will go through the wall into the neighbor's house, through the crip and into the baby who is fast asleep. Let me know what you all think.

xrocket
August 7, 2007, 07:32 PM
Prime 12ga. 18" FN Police Tactical Shotgun

Secondary S&W Model 645 .45acp

Pocket Seecamp .32

Works for me!

45Marlin carbine
August 7, 2007, 07:43 PM
I live off the road about 150 yds. so 'collateral damage' isn't a concern. I keep my CCW pistol handy, a Makarov and a dbl bbl 12 loaded with 3" #4 right bbl and 000 buck left bbl in corner near bed. that's for an outside scenario. and a .32 Berreta in pocket most always.

schwarz_06
August 7, 2007, 09:09 PM
good feedback. maybe some more will join in.

rgates
August 7, 2007, 09:26 PM
No neighbors. Love it that way. .357 magnum. But if you do have neighbors or other family members in different rooms of the house, definitely a 12 g.. Preferably tactical so it's as short as possible to manuever.

MacGille
August 7, 2007, 09:45 PM
12 Ga #7 , #7, 00,00,00. #7 won't penetrate the wall and kill anyone in the next room, 00 is effective out to 50-70 yd. but won't go 200 yd down the street and kill the neighbor.:o

It's 0 dark thirty and you're asleep, the front door is kicked in, and you are in a fight for your life. A rifle is too unhandy in close quarters with your eyes still blurry. A pistol is too easy to miss with under those circumstances. A load of #7 out of an open choke will cover the hallway and blow LARGE holes in bodies at 10 feet. If the perp survives the first two rounds and goes to cover you can penetrate a sofa or chair and get him with the 00. Even if you don't hit him, he may just surrender after you light up the room a couple of times. A reload of slugs will help convince him to quit.:eek:

If you have a pistol beside the bed your kids are in danger. A rifle even with high cap mags is too complicated to handle in the above situation and I wouldn't have it loaded with kids in the house. A shotgun only requires the slide to be operated and it's ready to go.:)

jrothWA
August 7, 2007, 09:53 PM
hand. Smoothbore will have buckshot, Hornady XTP's everything else.

redblair
August 7, 2007, 10:32 PM
Although I love my 229 I'd take the 12g with 00 in a heartbeat. If 9 x .33 coming out of a 18 inch barrel won't stop him then nothing is going to. :eek:

B

JoeBlackSpade
August 7, 2007, 10:57 PM
A good deadbolt, motion sensing lights all around the house, a small yipping Jack Russell Terrier with better hearing than any of us, and as for firearms, my first choices are:

Mossberg 500
Berretta 92FS 9mm
A large, cast iron skillet

Magdaddy
August 7, 2007, 11:00 PM
I took an old gun rack from a truck and screwed it to the back of the headboard on the bed, then added the old faithful 12 ga. I hate being woke up:D

WhiteFeather93
August 7, 2007, 11:11 PM
Good discussion!!!

I keep my 1911 with Hornaday TAP loaded and next to the bed and the Mossy 500 stays in the safe with a 000' Slug, 000' Slug, 000 combo. 110lbs German shep stays on the ladies side and a flashlight at mine.

Reasons... The 1911 is for a no time scenario but if I have time the Mossy is my choice, why? Knock down and because a shot gun can become a club and weapon all on its own. How many people here practice fighting with a SG/Rifle with no ammo?

The dog is a great alarm well trained and he's always loaded:D.

The 1911 is loaded with TAP so I don't get blinded by muzzle flash and those hollow points had amazing stopping power.

My neighbors are 20 yards apart on both sides. Not picturesc but I train and drill as to try to keep the advantage with the up stairs, cover and angles.

Yellowfin
August 7, 2007, 11:42 PM
Marlin 336 .30-30 under the bed with a full tube but chamber empty, 150 now and soon to be 125 or 110 grains in it to prevent over penetration...which to me is a bit of a nit pick because priorities are 1) reliable and safe for user 2) sufficiently powerful...and by that I mean no way in hell can it be underpowered 3) quick handling while still being deliberate 4) inscrutibly legal--about as free from sleazy political word gaming as you can get and 5) easy to practice with so it can be made easily familiar, again because primary user for the next half year will by her rather than me and she didn't grow up around use of firearms. Getting those priorities covered is WAY beyond extrapolated hypothetical scenarios. 98% not used at all, 1% gotten out in a panic over noise or sight of suspicion, .5% loaded, .3% picked up.... To me there's nothing better than a lever rifle with that in mind. One bullet at a time that can only go in one very precise direction in a very intentional manner, and all the abuse is on the muzzle end.

teeroux
August 8, 2007, 12:20 AM
smooth bore with buckshot, pistol cartridge rifle or your best shootin pistol.

not a rifle or shotty with slugs both will rip through a house end to end.
mabe if you use disentigrating rounds though I have no personal experience.

K-Minus
August 8, 2007, 01:47 AM
I would choose a good 45. loaded with hornady TAP HP.Because a shotgun can be difficult to move with in tight quarters and shooting off a 12G indoors
will make your ears hate you.

I wouldn't mount a light on my handgun.Think about it...if the mook sneaking into your home sneaks in with a gun and you come around the corner with a
1911 with a surefire X200 mounted on it,whats the first thing the mook is gonna shoot at?Answer-the light.And whats behind the light?Answer-YOU!

Instead,hold the light in your off hand and away from your body.Or if your
rich you could buy some NVG's.And remember to keep the light off untill you see a silouette.You don't want the mook to see the light shining down the hall
giving him a chance to load that pistol and lie in wait...

If you got a wife and kids then I belive you should leave the wife with a shotgun in the bedroom and have her call the police while you man up,grab
your weapon of choice and swiftly but cautiously make your way the kids
rooms,and stay with them!Don't risk taking them back through the house
to the bedroom with a dangerous and possibly armed home invader plundering
about...your wife/GF will be just fine with that shotty pointed at the door.

If your alone then you should wait in the bedroom,call the police,and have your weapon pointed at the bedroom door while the mook does his thing.
That's a "safe" way.But im sure no one here would sit idly by and let their
home get violated.I know I wouldn't.I'd go after the bastard.

Im personaly against rifles being used as home defense weapons.Unless it's
like an M4 using frangible ammo.

Don't worry about the fatiuge of just waking up.The sound of a door being kicked in or a window shattering will wake you up good and proper.Your
adrenaline will kick and getting ungroggy and battle ready won't be as hard you may think.

If you've practiced your home invasion drills,taught your family how to act,
and have a good weapon by your side,your chances of survivability are very high.

xrocket
August 8, 2007, 06:55 AM
The large cast iron skillet is a good close quarter fighting tool as suggested by JoeBlackSpade.

It is the favored fighting tool of Irish women. Let me explain: Shortly after I married my Irish born wife twenty nine years ago, she told me in no uncertain terms, that If I misbehaved in anyway toward her; One, I would have to sleep sometime and Two, she would make great use of the very large cast iron skillet given to her by her mom. Needless to say it made a distinct impression upon my mind.

Carry on gentlemen

Yankee Doodle
August 8, 2007, 07:08 AM
Primary: 86 pound Akita
Secondary: Rem. 870 w/ #4 bird-shot
Third: Large T-bone to reward Primary.

wolfdog45
August 8, 2007, 08:28 AM
1. Mossberg 590 loaded with 8 rounds of 3" 000 buck.
2. Bushmaster AR15 loaded with 20 75gr Hornady TAP.
3. SAR1 loaded with 75 rounds of 123gr SP.
4. Auto Ordnance 1911A1 Loaded with 8 rounds of Federal EFMJ's.
5. Ruger GP100 loaded with 6 158gr Winchester HP.

Those are my primary home defense weapons. I have no neighbor's to worry about being hit if a bullet go's through
the perp and out a wall.

USP.40
August 8, 2007, 08:56 AM
65lb female pittbull 100lb male pittbull
870 loaded with Ranger 00 buck
90-Two loaded with Ranger 115gr +P+

slow944
August 8, 2007, 09:10 AM
Small yappy dog for first alert.
alarm system for second alert.
If all the above fail:
Taurus PT145 with TAP ammo and laser sight.
12ga. SemiAuto with #4 shot and #8 shot.
Ruger Mini14 with 40rd mag with 69gr. ammo.:D

schwarz_06
August 8, 2007, 09:55 AM
ok Slow, this is a swat tactic of mine. what good is a laser if there is no light to see the target. great posts tho seems like most people here have the right mind not to use a rifle as a primary.

Samurai
August 8, 2007, 10:07 AM
The best weapon for home defense is an adult female Rat Terrier. They're jittery, YAPPY little creatures, and they make a LOT of noise when strangers approach.

Aside from a Rat Terrier, the best weapon for home defense is a motion-sensor home security alarm.

After that, I'd have to go with the alligator-filled moat.

Then, it's the razor-wire-lined 20 ft. brick wall.

JoeBlackSpade
August 8, 2007, 10:30 AM
The large cast iron skillet is a good close quarter fighting tool as suggested by JoeBlackSpade.

It is the favored fighting tool of Irish women. Let me explain: Shortly after I married my Irish born wife twenty nine years ago, she told me in no uncertain terms, that If I misbehaved in anyway toward her; One, I would have to sleep sometime and Two, she would make great use of the very large cast iron skillet given to her by her mom. Needless to say it made a distinct impression upon my mind.

Ahh... that's funny!

You'll be happy to know that the close quarters battle skills associated with the cast iron frying pan were taught to me by none other than MY Irish wife!

I'm going to tell her about this! I'm sure she'll be laughing her little 4-leafed-clover a$$ off about this!

mattro
August 8, 2007, 10:47 AM
1911 with a flashlight (flashlight is velcro to knightstand) is my first choice, it is nimble and I am the most comfortable with it half asleep. I also keep a rem 870 mounted with flashlight under the bed with no7. I think 00 buck is excessive indoors. I keep slugs and 00buck in a sleeve on the stock in case tshtf outdoors.

mountainclmbr
August 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
I have had previous problems with black bears and never human problems so I plan for the most difficult case. No close neighbors. Primary is 12 ga with first 2 rounds Brenneke slugs and the next 4 rounds 3-inch 00-buck. Backup is 44 mag with 270 gr Speer Gold Dot Jacketed soft point. The black bears up here can get up to 300 lbs.

BillCA
August 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
I know I'm gonna get ragged about this one...

Assumptions:
1. Your plan is to barricade in the bedroom instead of searching the house.
2. If you have kids or guests, you can usher them to the bedroom relatively safely (i.e. 2nd floor or the layout provides concealment of the movement)
3. The operator may not be a well trained in firearms.

A semi-auto 20 gauge shotgun, plug removed with at least a 5 shot capacity.

The 20ga loaded with #3 buckshot is still powerful enough to do the job and reduces the problem of overpenetration through outside walls. I'm suggesting a semi-auto because it's simple to operate from the "ready" condition. Just pull the little handle back and let go, push the safety to OFF and start blastin' if you need to. No trying to remember where the slide release is or pumping the shotgun after each shot.

The 20 gauge is powerful enough without the heavy recoil of a 12 bore. It can be used by women and teen children if needed. They're lighter and quicker to use than a 12ga.

Your best defense, however, is a layered one.
a. motion sensing porch, patio and yard lights
b. A dog - any kind that will bark at strange people in your yard.
c. Medico door locks on all exterior doors (these can't be "bumped" to open the lock).
d. Perimeter alarms on windows that still allow opening the window for fresh air.
e. Remote interior illumination - switching on lights in other rooms remotely, either thru a master panel or a wireless gizmo.
f. The aforementioned 20 gauge.
g. Any decent 3" to 4" handgun of a major caliber

I'd also like to suggest that for rifle fans, an M1-Carbine makes a dandy HD gun with it's light 110 grain bullet. So does a lever gun chambering a handgun cartridge like the .357, .41, .44 or .45 caliber cartridges.

Tactical lights? How about placing night-lights in strategic locations, such as bathrooms in the main hallways, in halls near the bottom of the stairs, on the near side of the livingroom, etc. This allows you to see the BG without giving away your position, especially in dark hallways.

mattro
August 8, 2007, 02:33 PM
The whole idea of barricading yourself in your room and calling 911 is crazy to me. Letting someone have their way in your house while waiting several minutes for leo? Plus, having kids on all 3 floors of my house pretty much mandates I'm going through the house.

Most of the time a noise is either a raccoon or a loose dog banging around my house, leo would get pretty tired of getting calls on that.

just my opinion...

slow944
August 9, 2007, 10:06 AM
Our neighborhood is so lit up by yard lighting that it doesn't really get dark in the house at night. The laser is a red LED type and makes a very bright dot where ever you point it. I drive the cats crazy with it as they think it's a fast red bug. And no I don't aim at the cats, just the floor and walls.

120mm
August 10, 2007, 07:46 AM
AR-15 Carbine w/55 grain Remington HPs.
XD-40 w/some type of HP ammunition I forget.

But actually, having lived in Germany for a year, I have "nothing" for self defense:mad: but my wits. (and security lighting, and some hellacious locks, plus 200 year old 2 foot thick stone walls with small windows)

Not a big fan of birdshot in any gauge shotgun for self-defense: I have a buddy who took 3 shots of #7 to the chest at near contact range; BG ran away, he walked over to the phone, dialled 911 and sat down at the kitchen table to wait for the ambulance. The majority of the damage to his chest was caused by the wads.

I also don't believe in the "fight your way to a rifle" scenario. If I have a pistol in my hands, I fight to put down the BG.

Yellowfin
August 10, 2007, 09:37 AM
I have a bit a of a question to challenge the OP's postulate that upon striking the BG with a rifle bullet that it would shish-kebob everything past it for a long ways. Exactly how much velocity and penetration power does a bullet at high velocity coming from a rifle have leftover once exiting a two legged target versus what it has expended upon contact and the six to whatever inches inside it? Sure it will come out, but surely not at anything near full power, right? Probably much less so upon striking a second surface. One especially considers that the projectile has a very large percentage of its initial velocity at short ranges common to self defense scenarios. Is even a bullet constructed for deer capable of withstanding its own full power at ranges of 30 yards or less? Is the best strategy for preventing overpenetration lowering the power to have less leftover or more power so that it self destructs more completely? (Not to sound too terribly armchair, but a demonstration of a .223, .30-06, and .50 BMG shot into a swimming pool comes to mind, where all 3 disintegrated within less than a foot.)

Brian@ITC
August 10, 2007, 09:41 AM
I believe that the best choice is a carbine such as an AR. I have seen some of the big names say that a pistol is the ideal thing to search with because of being able to move easily. HOWEVER, if you have a pistol and the intruder HAPPENS to be armed with a shotgun, WHO is more likely to back down? Get a rifle with a collapsable stock and keep it collapsed! You can manuever pretty good with the stock collapsed!

Just MY 2 cents!

xrocket
August 10, 2007, 10:56 AM
Or ... even better, get a shorty shotgun with a collapsible stock. 12ga. will do nicely don't you think?

mattro
August 10, 2007, 11:04 AM
Yellowfin,
Those are good thoughts, my initial response would be: It doesn't take much remaining energy to injure a 6 year old child on the other side of a drywall wall. Overpenetration has always scared me (I have 5 kids). But I'm not sure what to do about it.

My uncle got sued for penetrating the exterior wall of a house 1/4 mile away after ricochet off a creek rock bank. From a handgun. It had alot of energy left on it.

I load pre-fragmented rounds in the wife's revolver, but I search the house with a 45 with ball ammo. I think a shotgun is the best for not overpenetrating, but I find it unwieldy in tight quarters.

No perfect solution...

ibfestus
August 10, 2007, 11:05 AM
I am probably the only one on this forum who will admit to having a negligent discharge. I was reloading for a bolt action .223 and sizing the rounds so the bolt was a little sticky on the close. After I had reloaded 25 rounds I decided to run them through the action to be sure they would all feed. About the 10th round or so KaboooM!

I was in an attached garage and home alone (thank God). The 55 gr SP penetrated through both panels of 2 sheet rock walls, then through a 1 1/2 inch solid core wooden door, broke up into pieces with one piece of lead imbedding itself in the ceiling and another piece penetrating a venetian blind and striking but not breaking a window. All that from a SRA 55 gr. SP. BTW the exit hole in the door was 3 inches long.

Point being over penetration can occur especially if you miss. I guard my NFA firearms with an 870 12 ga. loaded with 2 3/4" #4 buckshot. There are 24, 25 cal projos in each round. Just my $.02.

mattro
August 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
Had my first ND about 1.5 yrs ago. Overly confident and stupid with a Sig P226, blew a big whole in the ground about a foot from my foot.

Stupid Stupid Stupid

Yellowfin
August 10, 2007, 11:23 AM
The reason I pose the question, mattro, is that my fiance's home defense gun is a .30/30 and I'm wrestling with 125 grain SP's in Remington's Managed Recoil load (I know, I wanted HP but couldn't find them here) or 150's at standard velocities. Yeah yeah yeah, should be a pistol cartridge or .223...whatever. It's what I have at the moment. Not sending her out there to her job training with a .22, she's not built for using my shotguns (short arms, large chest, small stature), and this is what she's effective with, and anything else I own is bolt action and deer caliber or larger. She's headed out to California, land of the utterly idiotic gun grabbers, so a pistol is out of the question and anything that's too short is a legal liability. Our budget at the moment can't do much else because of moving costs and the elevated rent and other expenses from being there.

----ing California. I gave her the nod to go for that residency for the sole reason it's the most prestigious one in her field, and it's only an unfortunate side effect that it happens to be in one of the most expensive and least 2nd Amendment friendly areas in the country. As soon as she's done we're out of there faster than you can say credit card bills.

BillCA
August 11, 2007, 02:35 AM
I have a bit a of a question to challenge the OP's postulate that upon striking the BG with a rifle bullet that it would shish-kebob everything past it for a long ways. Exactly how much velocity and penetration power does a bullet at high velocity coming from a rifle have leftover once exiting a two legged target versus what it has expended upon contact and the six to whatever inches inside it? Sure it will come out, but surely not at anything near full power, right?

That will depend quite a lot on the design of the bullet. A lot of rifle bullets with FMJ ammo can penetrate an organic target (animal or person) and still whiz along another couple hundred yards with enough energy to bag another. Bullets that are spitzer or boat-tail designs penetrate well and often exit unless they are expanding tip designs.

If you're stuck with a .30-30 rifle, I'd opt for some form of lightweight expanding bullet that is more likely to expand and stop. Almost any rifle bullet (or serious handgun bullet) will penetrate sheetrock walls and/or exterior stucco walls if you miss.

What Just Happened?
August 11, 2007, 10:44 AM
so a pistol is out of the question

Why would a pistol be out of the question? I'm quite sure that you can bring in handguns that you own. Plus with the population density that CA has, penetration through walls would be a big legal liability as you are legally liable for any rounds that you fire, even in self-defense.

And on being the least 2nd amendment friendly, probably. But what's up with New York's "up to 6 month" waiting period. I hope that no one there actually has to wait for the full 6 months.

Hallucinator
August 11, 2007, 10:57 AM
Ideal Home Defense Set Up:

Good locks on doors, good window locks.

Mixed German Shepherd and Lab (the mix neutralizes bad physical and behavioral aspects of both breeds)

Main rooms rigged with very bright lights that are activated by sensors. This is a blinding experience for the invader(s), and will give the dog time to do some damage before they recover. Call 911 during dog event.

Phones set for autodial 911.

XD 45 ACP Tactical at beside, Mossberg 590 close by.

Double locking bedroom doors. When they start trying to break it down, a full blast of 12 Gauge 000 right through the door.

Eject shell. Listen to whimpers, sound of uncontrolled pissing, doors slamming, etc. Stay in bedroom till police arrive.

Obviously I don't have all these, but plan to. I've got two little dogs, the XD, the Mossberg. When the little dogs croak (maybe soon) I'll go for the Shepador.

Doublestack
August 11, 2007, 11:07 PM
Posts like this usually bring many different responses because not everyones living arrangements are the same. Some have children in the house, some don't. Some have neighbors nearby, some don't.

One person said that they don't buy the " barricade yourself in the bedroom and wait for the cops" idea. That was because he had kids in the house. I have no children in the house. I also do not have anything in my house outside my bedroom that is worth killing someone over, or possibly getting killed over.
My plan is very simple. I believe that everyone should have 3 things within reach at their bedside.

1- A cell phone. BGs can and will cut your phone lines if they know someone is in the house. A person who is willing to break into a home when it is known that the occupants are home is a very dangerous individual. Call 911 immediately, and leave the line open. Everything is recorded.

2. A good flashlight. I have two. A surefire, and a "bash-light" (long hard heavy tube type).

3. A firearm. XD-45 with Fed. Hydra-shoks very close, and 12ga. (first 2 in the tube are #4s, and next two are 000 buckshot, accessable if time permits.

At first sign of a break-in, I would grab XD , and call 911 with home phone on nightstand ,if dial tone is present (911 will have your address automatically). Put receiver down and say "Home invasion". If no dial tone, use cell phone, but add address to "home invasion". Mind you, this is if you have time.

I would then announce loudly that the police are on the way, and that if they (the home invader) come into view that I will be forced to defend myself. (this will also be recorded by 911, and would be very helpful to you in court should you have to defend yourself).

With light and XD in hand, and pointed in direction of where assailant would have to appear, I would wait it out. If said home invader was stupid enough to come my way, the next thing recorded on the 911 tape would be a few very loud noises. Also, I don't beleive that said perp would wait around for the cops to show up.

I was taught a long time ago to leave house clearing drills to the experts. I am not a LEO, and do not care to get myself shot trying to act like one. I have performed armed investigations of things that have gone bump in the night, but in these cases I really had no real reason to believe that a break-in was in progress.

If you have family in the house, you should have a plan, and all should know it and practice it occassionally. If you live alone, you still need to have a plan. I think that having a plan is more important than what type of weapon you keep readily available, as long as you are competant with that weapon.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
DS

prscustom
August 14, 2007, 04:52 PM
bummer:(

springmom
August 14, 2007, 05:57 PM
I have my Kimber Ultra Carry II at my bedside. That's to cover Archerandshooter so he can get to his Mossberg 500 with 00 buckshot in it. Between us, we're good, I think.

And if needed I have both slugs and buckshot for my 20 gauge too.

Plus dogs, an alarm system that's monitored, and good locks and lights.

Springmom

gordo_gun_guy
August 14, 2007, 06:25 PM
....because early awareness is key.

For a polite, but unexpected knock on the door: XD .45 Tactical w Fed HS (13x3) and TLR-2 light/laser.

For mucho badness: The XD becomes BU; primary is my SOCOM 16 w trijicon reflex and as many 20 rounders as I can grab. Wife watches kids with Mossy 500 w xlp holosight, 5x00 plus 2 buck and 3 slug in the butt cuff....

An old cell phone for 911 and lots of G2 lights and assorted tactical junk abound.

If I'm surprised and happen to have passed out before unlocking a firearm: the closest thing to my bed is a wooden bokken (Japanese training sword). It can be left unlocked all day because my kids can barely leave welts with it, but I can f someone up. I can reach the bedroom door and window by rolling off the bed in the appropriate direction. Don't need ambient light, glasses, manipulating a safety or chambering a round. Not the most effective choice, but that's why awareness is key....

Zombie Steve
August 14, 2007, 06:38 PM
I live in an upstairs condo (easy to fortify against zombie infestation - my primary concern - just throw furniture down the stairs). Seriously, unless someone swings through my patio doors tacticool style they have to come up 16 steps with a turn in the middle. My front door is reinforced - not a vault door, but someone would have to make a lot of noise to get in. This should buy me enough time to meet them at the turn of the stairs with my Mossberg 500 / 00buck. 2X6 wall behind him, 60 yards of nothing behind that. I'll admit I'm a heavy sleeper - if I'm not on top of it that quickly, then I barricade in the bedroom. See Hallucinator's scenario from there...

ActivShootr
August 15, 2007, 08:58 AM
For me, a rifle is out of the question as I live in a subdivision with close neighbors. My setup is: Kimber Eclipse Custom II and flashlight on my side of the bed, snubby .38 and light on the wife's, and 870 with 3" 00 buck(soon to be #1 buck due to less risk of overpenetration.) I have kids in the house, so holing up in the bedroom is not an option. Our plan of action is the wife calls 911 and readies herself with the .38 while I secure the boys and despense any nessecary a$$kicking.

easyG
August 16, 2007, 10:38 AM
I've cleared my house many times...sometimes because of strange noises and paranoia, and sometimes just for practice (yes, I'm a little paranoid and perhaps a little weird too).
And I have come to the conclusion that I prefer a handgun over a long-gun for the task.
I just need a free hand to open doors and move curtains and such, and there are too many tight turns and doors that make a long-gun cumbersome.

prscustom
August 16, 2007, 03:35 PM
second that. i've cleared my house acouple times b/c the wife heard a niose upstairs ( like someone is going to use an extension ladder to break in). it i s a tight stair case and i would prefer to have my handgun in one hand a ligth in the other, so i can draw fire away from me and to the light (held away from my body old FBI style). plus I am always concerned that someone might break in via the girls bedroom window, in which case i don't want to go blazing in w/ my moss 500 loaded w/ #1.

120mm
August 17, 2007, 12:53 AM
If you "do" use a carbine or shotgun for self-defense, maybe you can choose a good two point sling to make it more handy. That way you can keep a hand on the grip (with finger off the trigger, natch) while you keep a hand free to open doors, etc..

The houses we've lived in since having kids have almost always needed a clearing in the case of strange noises, etc. And I'm not going to call 911 every time the screen door comes loose, or whatnot.

Heck, if we're coming back from somewhere, I'll do a quick walkthrough of our house "just in case".

chris in va
August 17, 2007, 01:01 AM
For a while I had my Mossberg 500 with Knoxx SpecOps sitting in the corner. After watching my friend try to operate the slide at the range, I decided to swap it out for the short barrel Saiga x39 with softpoint ammo.

Point, pull the trigger. No slide racking.

Rifleman 173
August 17, 2007, 03:03 AM
Having spent 19 months in Viet Nam, the last 7 months I was a sniper with the 173D Airborne Brigade, and having been a police sniper and MFI (Master Firearms Instructor) I've learned and studied many aspects involving firearms. Here's what I see applicable to home defense:

1. ANY shot that you make can go completely through a target and strike something else beyond the target. In my state, the local troopers are told that EVERY bullet that they fire is a potential one million dollar lawsuit. When possible, PRE-PLAN your shots so that you if your bullet does happen to go all the way through your target that it'll strike a good backstop, like a brick wall or mound of earth, of some sort. In other words, pick your ground for the fight that works to your advantage like the ancient Spartans did at Thermopylae. Fight smart.

2. The over all best tool for home defense and unexpected nighttime social events is a good shotgun of some sort. Use birdshot inside the house, 00 buck for close range outside up to about 15 yards and a slug round beyond 15 yards. Next would be a decent rifle of some sort. A handgun is ALWAYS used as a back-up tool when your shoulder mounted weapon suddenly does not work. After the handgun you should have a decent knife to use. The handgun is a weak sister and always has been. Police studies show that about 70% of all people who get shot with handguns survive. In addition, shotguns deliver devestating power on to a target with each shot and rifles deliver bullets that move at 2 or 3 times the speed (more power) than bullets fired from handguns. Rifles also give a shooter more accuracy in shot placement than most pistols will give. Red dot scopes and scopes with illuminated recticles increase your speed of accquisition to a target, your accuracy and effectiveness so use them.

3. Practice. Practice. Practice. The more you practice the more proficient you become with your firearms. It doesn't hurt to videotape or document your shooting abilities, training and practices. Keep such documentation and tapes filed away so that IF something does occur then you can let your attorney see them and decide how he wants to use them. Also learn to smoothly transition back and forth from firearm (shotgun/rifle) to another firearm (pistol) and back again.

4. Check out what your local laws say about use of force, use of deadly force, self defense and use of firearms where you live. Make sure that the information that you have is updated or current and at least every other year you re-check what your local laws say about force, deadly force and self defense.

5. Have your attorney's phone number on your speed dial in case something happens. Also know what, if possible, your attorney would and would not like for you to do in case of an incident. If in doubt, do NOT give ANY statements to anybody without YOUR attorney present. Just shut up and request your attorney when any official talks to you.

6. Have a plan then have at least 2 back-up plans. Same thing for firearms when possible. Document your plans and label the documents as "Defensive Plans for Home" or "Family Defense Plans at Home." Stress defensive as your intent in your plans and actions.

7. Remember to use time and distance as your allies. The longer you hold an aggressor/attacker at bay the more the tide turns against him. They also know this and will sometimes flee after a few minutes of resistance. The more that you use distance to keep the bad guys away from you, the easier it is for you to counter anything that he does. Distance equals time to react.

8. Shoot, move and reload. When you shoot you give yourself or your position away. When you shoot try to make some form of movement, even if it means just lowering your height, to offset your exposure when shooting. Also reload as often as you can and keep your firearms topped off when you can.

9. Believe in yourself. Have the mindset that you will survive no matter what. Gunfights are not about "winning." A real gunfight is not a game nor a sport. Gunfights are what you survive.

120mm
August 17, 2007, 08:56 AM
Birdshot is NOT a good self-defense round. Read some of the tests in here for what birdshot is capable of doing:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

Bottom line: birdshot, even at near contact range, will make a large and gory, but extremely shallow wound, without sufficient penetration to actually stop a bad guy.

Any round that is capable of reliably stopping an assailant, is capable of overpenetration. I have a buddy who took 3 rounds of 12 ga. #7 shot at close to contact range. BG ran away, buddy walked over to the phone, called 911 and then sat down to wait for the ambulance.

Otherwise, the above post is sound.

Dwight55
August 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
The nightstand has a handgun: 38 spec, .380, 9mm, .45ACP (most often). It is primarily to use "checking out" suspicious OUTSIDE sounds.

It's secondary mission is to accompany me to whatever door unknowns may come to. So far, . . . all unknowns coming after dark have been friendly unknowns, . . . hope it stays that way, . . . but my handgun goes with me anyway.:D

It's third mission is to assist me in safe passage to my Beretta 12 ga that has 3 ea #4 buc, 2ea 00 buck, and 2ea slugs, . . . with 5 more 00 in a side saddle. Its a semi auto that hurts both ends, . . . shooter and shootee, . . . but the shootee will have to be ducking 92 projectiles coming his/her way during the first 7 rounds, . . . 45 more as soon as I can reload them and start in again on the trigger.

I have previously walked through the "fields of fire" available to me, . . . and some I won't take on the chance of someone being hurt in the "background".

If I need any more firepower than this, . . . I'll probably just grab my Bible and aluminum tinfoil hat, . . . scripture for the demons and tinfoil for the zombies.

The "Plan A" though, . . . where unknowns are approaching, . . . and have a definite bent for nasty or bad, . . . my wife is in the bathroom, on the cell, with 911, . . . my cell is laying on the bed with 911 on the line, . . . we are barricaded in the bed room, . . . come on LEO's.

May God bless,
Dwight

rampage841512
August 21, 2007, 03:48 PM
I keep a shotgun for home defense, but I only go for it when I feel I have a of time. In most situations my 1911 is the easiest thing to get my hands on quickly as it's usually within hand's reach.

When I was living with my grandfather I went for the shotgun to convince someone not to steal my atv. I felt I had plenty of time. When someone tried to break into my first apartment via the sliding glass door, I grabbed my

Best overall I think I have to go with the pistol. I have a lot of narrow places in my apartment where the shotgun just wouldn't be practical.

Michael Anthony
August 21, 2007, 04:42 PM
Personally as a cop and a designated marksman, i have the theory that if you miss or if a round travels through a person's body, that round will go through the wall into the neighbor's house, through the crip and into the baby who is fast asleep. Let me know what you all think.

Interesting theory. A lot of people probably hope their bullets don't go through crips, but that they penetrate deep and then fragment.

Rifleman 173
August 21, 2007, 09:05 PM
I keep a Remington 870 ready for late night social events. It's backed up by a Bushmaster .223 which is backed-up by either a Sig P-220 in .45 caliber or a Glock 22-C in .40 caliber. All of the guns are backed up by a good sheath knife.

If I engage a target inside of my house I'd use birdshot or 00 buck. A slug round if it goes outside or if I need punch.

Over the 27+ years that I was a deputy sheriff, I talked to people who had been shot with shotguns or investigated a number of shootings where a shotgun was used. As I remember things, I know that I had 14 incidents at least and probably less than 20 where a shotgun was used to shoot or kill people. Birdshot, when fired at close range and into a human torso WILL effectively kill a person. Out of all the incidents, I can remember one girl who was shot in the rear and one guy that lived through his shooting. The girl ended up with a permanent limp and the male survivor ended up with an artificial left foot. The male accidentally shot himself with a 12 gauge when he was getting it out of the truck. The blast, a close range shot, mangled the foot so that it could NOT be saved.

We know that 1 bullet out of 4 ever strikes ANYTHING at all. This information comes from a police study done in the 1970s involving several large cities. The odds against striking another person exists BUT it is not as large as some people think it is. Using a rifle for self defense, particularly for pinpoint fire, isn't a bad idea BUT I wouldn't use a rifle as a first line firearm unless I had no other option available. Shotgun first. Rifle next and a pistol third.

120mm
August 28, 2007, 02:10 AM
And in my 43 years of breathing air on this earth, I have yet to encounter someone who felt the need to give me their resume in order to strengthen their point who knew their head from their *sses in reference to firearms.

Especially "Deputy Sheriffs".

Bird shot is for little birds. Buck shot is for bad guys.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

ump45
August 28, 2007, 05:31 AM

normal
August 28, 2007, 06:50 AM
Whatever you use best. If you have more experience/training with a rifle (ex: military), use it. If it is with a handgun, use it. Shotgun, use it. I think that familiarity, experience, and training are more important than anything else. You will react based on those concepts.

easyG
August 28, 2007, 08:43 AM
Birdshot, when fired at close range and into a human torso WILL effectively kill a person.
Can birdshot kill a person?
Yeah, I'm sure that it can.

Will birdshot kill a person as reliably as buckshot or a slug?
No, I don't think so.

I base my opinion on the patients that I X-ray....
I've X-rayed LOTS of patients over the years that have birdshot pellets in them (yep, they carry those pellets for the rest of their lives).
But I've X-rayed very few living patients with shotgun slugs or 00 buckshot in them.

Dirty_Harry
August 28, 2007, 10:20 AM
1. .38 special S&W by the bed

2. 870 Tactical loaded and ready to go in the closet....if I can get to it.

ump45
August 28, 2007, 02:12 PM
The BG may be a large man with lots of fat/muscle and also wearing heavy clothing. Birdshot should not be relied upon to achieve penetration in this case.

If you do not believe me, go to http://www.theboxotruth.com/.

Birdshot is for birds, not humans.

Another point...do not choose your HD weapon based upon wall penetration.

All service caliber handguns will penetrate through multiple walls.

MadameX
August 29, 2007, 08:03 PM
Might not be the best/latest/greatest, but seems to have worked so far.

1. domestic cat that thinks he's a dog, and that it is his job to protect me, the house, and my car. He's done such a great job, that I see no reason to not allow him to continue.

2. .32 in the BR

3. pikestaff in the office

4. deadbolt locks on the doors, supplemental window locks on the windows.

Deb

MadameX
August 29, 2007, 08:04 PM
this was supposed to go to another forum..I do apologize!

RockyMtnTactical
August 29, 2007, 08:45 PM
It depends mostly on what you trained the best with. For me, it'd be either my AR15 or one of my Glocks.

easyG
August 29, 2007, 09:13 PM
3. pikestaff in the office :eek:

Com'on, you've gotta post some pictures of that!

MarbRed88
November 25, 2007, 06:37 PM
1. definiatley Mossberg 590
2. the bayonet on the 590
3. Ruger p89
4. and if those dont work then i guess it would have to be a combination of a fog horn and an all around good steel frying pan.:D

obxned
November 25, 2007, 09:23 PM
Dogs and 00!

Neal in GA
November 25, 2007, 10:37 PM
Had a guy try to break into my house a couple weeks ago. It turned out well though. He didn't get in, I didn't have to shoot him, and I had the tools for the job at hand.

I grabbed my shotgun and cleared the house to my roommates' room. Once I got them up, I stuck my .45 in my jeans (didn't take the time to put on a holster), handed one roommate my .357, and we took a surefire and double checked the house inside then the perimeter of the house. My roommates aren't gun owners, but I've taken them shooting, and they are comfortable doing so. Besides, I have enough to go around. In that instance, we were armed with a Remmy 870, a Colt 1911 .45, and a S&W 686+ .357. The 870 is loaded with 6 3" 00 buck followed by a single 3" slug. The .45 has 230gr gold dots, and the .357 has corbon 125gr JHPs.