PDA

View Full Version : Discolored/bleached polymer, can this be corrected??

darko
August 6, 2007, 12:34 PM
Hey all,
I'm posting this question here as many SA's these days are polymer and I'm hoping someone will have an answer. I was cleaning a weapon with a spray type gun cleaner and some of the fluid ended up on the black polymer portion of the weapon. The result was a slight bleaching/discoloration. Is there a simple remedy for this to restore the polymer to it's original condition??

DPris
August 6, 2007, 12:38 PM
No.
The coloration (which can be just about anything, depending on the whim of the maker or contractor) is a form of dye that's included and mixed in the original polymer liquid material before it's injected into the moulds. You can't re-apply that dye externally, and anything you do paint on externally will be subject to wearing off, like paint, to at least some degree.
Denis

Bill DeShivs
August 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
Sure there is! Wipe the spot with WD 40.

darko
August 6, 2007, 01:37 PM
Will that keep or just until it wipes off?

DPris
August 6, 2007, 01:51 PM
Never heard of that one. Let me know if it works.
Denis

Bill DeShivs
August 6, 2007, 04:59 PM
It should be OK. Give it a try.

9x19
August 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
Generally, the gun-scrubber-brake-cleaners will remove all surface oils from synthetics, leaving them looking bleached... replacing that oil will often restore the color... as Bill said... give it a try! :D

cavediver27
August 6, 2007, 07:06 PM
No harm, no foul. Some CLP or any good light gun oil will make it look like new again. This is an easy fix.