PDA

View Full Version : can i put a .40 or .45 caliber barrel into a regular XD-9?

asianthug
August 2, 2007, 05:30 PM
can i put a .40 or .45 caliber barrel into a regular XD-9?

RevolverLover
August 2, 2007, 05:37 PM
No, you can't

You can use a 9mm conversion barrel in an XD40, but not the other way around. I don't think it is possible with the XD45 because the frames are different.

asianthug
August 2, 2007, 05:43 PM
that sucks big time as they use the same mag.

is there such a thing as xd-9? i look and only see compact or sub-compact or service model.

asianthug
August 2, 2007, 05:51 PM
what's a point of having an xd-9 then, kinda one dimensional.

David the Gnome
August 2, 2007, 06:18 PM
Because the XD-40 with a 9mm barrel conversion is nowhere near as reliable as the XD-9.

Shane Tuttle
August 2, 2007, 06:50 PM
Because the XD-40 with a 9mm barrel conversion is nowhere near as reliable as the XD-9.

Explaination, please?:confused: I'd like to know why...

asianthug
August 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
yeah. explain cuz i am on a verge of making a purchase decision within a day man.

frankxd
August 3, 2007, 08:08 AM
The XD-40 can take a 9mm or .357 conversion barrel.
The XD-9 can only use 9mm.

The reason that the XD-9 cannot take a conversion barrel is because there is not enough material around the barrel to make a larger hole. The XD-40 barrel has a larger external diameter, so the smaller bore (9mm) results in a thicker wall.

The reason that the XD-40 with conversion 9mm barrel is less reliable than the XD-9 is that there are other differences besides the barrel, mainly the breach face and extractor. The XD-40 extractor will grab onto the 9mm case rim, but not as well as the 9mm extractor. It works pretty well, but don't expect it to be 100% reliable. You may also have to tweak the magazine lips of the .40 magazines to correctly feed 9mm, or just use XD-9 magazines.

David the Gnome
August 3, 2007, 09:52 AM
The reason that the XD-40 with conversion 9mm barrel is less reliable than the XD-9 is that there are other differences besides the barrel, mainly the breach face and extractor. The XD-40 extractor will grab onto the 9mm case rim, but not as well as the 9mm extractor. It works pretty well, but don't expect it to be 100% reliable. You may also have to tweak the magazine lips of the .40 magazines to correctly feed 9mm, or just use XD-9 magazines.
That's it right there. :)

I sold my XD40 because I didn't want to hastle with converting it to a 9mm. It can be done but it will take some serious work and testing to get it to be as reliable as a plain out of the box XD9 would.

Shane Tuttle
August 3, 2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification, gents. I didn't have an inclination to do so, but still was curious as to the whys and therefores...

asianthug
August 4, 2007, 02:30 PM
can we just get the entire top slide conversion kit? i like the idea of having all-in-one gun.

RevolverLover
August 4, 2007, 05:17 PM
can we just get the entire top slide conversion kit?

I haven't see any entire top end conversion kits. I doubt Springfield will sale you one either.

If you get a XD40 you can get a 9mm and .357sig conversion barrel.