PDA

View Full Version : Bolt on SKS Muzzle Brake Question...

CWG
August 2, 2007, 05:26 PM
I bought an NcStar SKS muzzle brake on ebay for about 12 bucks. The muzzle brake fits over the barrel and attaches via two hex screws and a half moon looking piece that mates to the brake. With the hex screws tightened all the way down the muzzle moves around quite a bit. It's a loose fit. The SKS is a Norinco. Is this safe? Is it supposed to do this? Has anyone else experienced this?

http://images.andale.com/f2/122/127/12301129/1143805366821_AMSKSB_MAIN_PIC.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SKS-RIFLE-BOLT-ON-MUZZLE-BRAKE-COMPENSATOR-AMSKSB_W0QQitemZ230157504783QQihZ013QQcategoryZ36258QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

homefires
August 2, 2007, 06:45 PM
It would not go on my Rifle!:barf:

Looks like a problem waiting to happen.

I could do better with some electrical conduit!

NOT GOOD!

Hedley
August 2, 2007, 07:51 PM
You get what you pay for. I'd use it as a paperweight.

TPAW
August 2, 2007, 09:03 PM
Don't use it unless you want your SKS to look like a blunder bust!....:eek:

jaymce
August 3, 2007, 08:52 AM
:eek: I would not use that brake. The tolerances on the brake must be such that the round goes through the center of the break and gasses are expelled off to the sides or top. I have a break on my Yugo SKS that threads on in place of the grenade launcher and is pinned. The central opening measures 0.365, bullet Dia. is about 0.310. That leaves about .055 for the bullet to pass through the break (less than 1/16th of in or 32nd all around. The consequences of a loose brake could be catastrophic.

Look around and you will find several types of breaks available. I think that mine was a Rick Miller 9 port that was about 100$ when I bought it now about 40$ plus I had to buy a tap to chase the treads and clean the plating/ anodizing out of the break threads of a perfect fit. When all was said and done though between that and the buffer insert it makes for a very soft shooting accurate gun with little muzzle rise. When I qualified at 50Yd for local range (first time shooting at that range) I placed the first round in the upper left of the target and the next 2 rounds in a 2 in group just outside the black, with iron sights no bench rest. Good enough to get qualified in 3 rounds.

Manedwolf
August 3, 2007, 08:56 AM
Agreed with other posters.

Just consider what could happen if it wobbled offcenter enough to let the bullet hit the metal of the brake.

Texas Rifleman
August 3, 2007, 11:49 AM
Isn't this just crazy. How can they sell this product? I've tried this same exact muzzle brake on two different SKSs and it's loose on all of them.

Then I said, "Oh! Maybe it's for a Mosin Nagant and they messed up the order:rolleyes:!"

No. I have a Mosin and the muzzle brake is way too small for it to mount.

Texas Rifleman
August 3, 2007, 11:58 AM
Here is an image of what can happen...
http://www.varmintal.com/muzzle1.jpg

barnetmill
August 3, 2007, 12:31 PM
If muzzle breaks are not tight it will cause dispersion of the bullets. My AK flash hidder has slight rotational play. Removal of it from the barrel improves accauracy.

I have a question: is there any legal problem with putting a muzzle attachment on to an SKS rifle?

Manedwolf
August 3, 2007, 12:50 PM
barnetmill, that would depend on your state laws.

barnetmill
August 3, 2007, 03:03 PM
I had asked similar question elsewhere about bayonets and got back answers that it might be a violation of federal law relative part counts.

I had no idea that there were any states that outlawed muzzle breaks.

MacGille
August 3, 2007, 05:16 PM
Why would you want a muzzle brake on such a mild recoiling rifle anyway? All it will do besides look bulky is increase muzzle blast and make a simple thing complex.

If your self image is tied up with looking "tactical" go ahead and garbage up a great rifle with accessories. But if you just want to shoot, leave it alone.:)

USMCG_HMX1
August 3, 2007, 07:22 PM
+1 on the paperweight. My body parts are worth more to me than a 10 dollar muzzle break from Cheaper Than Dirt.

Kris

FS2K
August 3, 2007, 08:13 PM
The reason that compensator isn't fitting is because it is probably an Airsoft part that was never meant to be used on a real gun. Be CAREFUL when buying these cheap look alike products from these Chinese companies. NCStar is a big name in the Airsoft accessoy market.

Even some of the more expensive stuff are Airsoft stuff. I bought 2 HK MP5 claw mounts for my Bobcat before finally forking the cash over for a Bruner & THormet unit. I could have saved allot of money by buying good the first time..

Texas Rifleman
August 4, 2007, 10:59 AM
If your self image is tied up with looking "tactical" go ahead and garbage up a great rifle with accessories. But if you just want to shoot, leave it alone.

I doubt his self image has anything to do with it. Some people like to try new things out. Hey, if it has very little kick anyway it will have even less. What's wrong with that? What I like about making an SKS "tactical" (vs. many other rifles but not all) is that it is completely reversible and can be done without damaging the rifle.

Gator Monroe
August 4, 2007, 11:07 AM
TR please look at the Rockloc M6 SKS muzzlebrake made by Rockloc Mfg. Victoria Tx. It gives my Unissued Yugo with blonde furniture a M14 LOOK THAT I LOVE ! and 40 rounds through it and bouncing around in the truck and it has not budged! The Gent at Rocloc gets your barrel end and Crown demensions and makes it for your rifle (3 set screws and blue Loctite and yer good to go) and best of all It works with the Bayo !:p