PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been shot?

newarcher
July 31, 2007, 12:17 PM
Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it.

Anyone here been shot? If so, where....what circumstances....what did you feel?

Just curious,
New

Hard Ball
July 31, 2007, 04:43 PM
yes, in the right ankle, It felt like I had been kicked in the ankle which felt numb.

Lavid2002
July 31, 2007, 05:18 PM
eyeball : P ow...good thing it was a ricochette(can't spell :(!)

JoeBlackSpade
July 31, 2007, 05:31 PM
My dad was shot in the thigh in Vietnam.

He described it as being hit by a sledgehammer at 200 miles an hour. He said after he was hit, he realized he was looking upwards, laying on his back, and not 30 seconds later, he thought he was on fire, because the wound burned so bad. The femur splintered on impact, and he said it took his breath away. It took effort not to hyperventilate. A medic gave him morphine for the pain, but he said before it took effect, he swore there was a nerve that ran from the thigh right to the back of his temple.

tony pasley
July 31, 2007, 06:06 PM
Yes several times Military enough said.

P97
July 31, 2007, 06:26 PM
Once through the thigh. Bullet went through but Copper jacket stayed and had to be removed. 30Cal Carbine.

newarcher
July 31, 2007, 08:28 PM
I will second that!

I knew a Korean Veteran who had been wounded several times and had to fight it out hand to hand with bayonettes when he ran out of ammo. He was the roughest old man I ever did know (met him in hunting camp) but after a few weeks of knowing him, I saw through that. I came to love that surly old man.

If it weren't for the American soldier that is so despised by the world and moreso each day 1/2+ of our elected representatives, this world would be full of despots and horror unimaginable.

Thank you one....thank you all....words fall short.

New

Jason_G
July 31, 2007, 08:30 PM
Never been shot, but a couple of quick stories from some vets I had the pleasure of knowing:
Had an uncle that got shot up with a machine gun in Vietnam. All the medics and doctors thought he would die, but he didn't. He did end up having a good portion of intestines, his spleen, part of his liver, and a kidney removed. All of that gave him health problems for the rest of his life. He remembered being shot, but couldn't remember what it felt like. I always thought that was kind of weird. I guess the brain does some pretty weird things in those kinds of situations. Sadly, he ended up passing away a few years ago.

I knew another VN vet that I worked alongside when I was in construction. He was a Huey pilot. He got shot on three separate occasions through the same leg with 7.62x39. Once through the meat of the calf, once through the meat of the thigh, and the last one, which put him out of combat, was through the back of the knee, blowing out his patella through the front. He said all of them felt like a hard "thump" followed by an intense burning sensation, but he said that none of them were debilitating pain except the one through his knee. I think it must bring a whole other level of pain when bone is struck, especially if it's shattered. Just my guess though, I've never been shot.

Jason

newarcher
July 31, 2007, 08:34 PM
I'll say one other thing about vets.....

Most true heros won't talk to you about their experiences. They claim it was just "doing my job". I call BS on that one. It was much more than doing your job.

Just doing your job would have netted the Americans lots of war losses. No, you guys did the impossible and then reached even further.

I can't say enough about the respect I have for soldiers.

New

shepherddogs
July 31, 2007, 09:00 PM
Had a ricochet from my 45 bounce back off a steel plate and ride up the bone in bottom part of my forearm. Felt like I had been hit on the bone with a baseball bat. The bullet went under the skin and up the bone about 2 inches from entry. Left a big giant knot that was sore as all getout. I sat in the emergency room all night waiting to get it out and they wanted to leave it in. A couple days later I got an orthopedic doctor to take it out in his office. It took him about 3 minutes to numb my arm and take it out. The ER took all night and didn't do anything. Long story short it hurt a lot. I'd hate to get one at full speed. I can relate to the knock down principle. While I wasn't incapacitated I was quite stunned for several minutes. I can see how a 45 could take the fight right out of you.

EEL92fs
July 31, 2007, 09:34 PM
just like Lavid2002 I was shot in the Eye with a bb gun (pellet) by a friend's ricochet.

I was shooting rats in the basement and my friend thought it would be cool to shoot a rag hanging from a pipe(by the wall) as I am saying NOO it hits me and I drop to the ground and he thought I was being a puss untill I got up and flicked the pellet out of the side of my eye. This is not like any of the guys that have been hit with real stuff but I still thank God I did not lose my eye and God just pushed it to the side.

I never went shooting with that guy again.

P.S It was a dirt basement all but by the water heater with the pipe and the brick wall.

kgpcr
August 1, 2007, 11:07 PM
I took an AK round through the side of my calf. It was dark and we were running, it felt like a hard thump but did not hurt that bad. it never hit bone. i thought i ran into something while running. when we got back on our side of the berm and back to our area i thought it felt wet. about 10 minutes later i noticed my BDU's had a hole in them and it was wet. a buddy called over the Gunny and sure as **** i had been hit. clean in and clean out. they cleaned it out really good and a few stiches and i was good to go. i spent 14 days out of the unit on light duty and that was it. it never really hurt untill they started cleaning it out.

publius
August 1, 2007, 11:29 PM
My story is a little diferent. Shotgun. I was 14, opening day of dove season in Mississippi at my Grandfather's farm. Cornfield probably 200 yards long and 60 yards wide. I bent over to pick up my last bird and the stupid old man across the field shot at a low bird and dusted me. (father of my uncle by marriage) This of course led to a long string of profanity and the end of the hunt. This was not a simple peppering of shot landing on my head, this was a 50 yd. horizontal shot. Luckily I was facing away from the idiot so even though it broke the skin on my back and the back of my head it didn't get my face. Always wear shooting glasses!

raymond-
August 1, 2007, 11:43 PM
Had a ricochet from my 45 bounce back off a steel plate and ride up the bone in bottom part of my forearm.

similar - 40 cal off a SIG....beaned me right in the middle of the forehead. slug
and jacket protruded so they taped a cup around it and off I went to the emer-
gency room. had about 2 dozen people in line....but at the mention of gunshot,
jumped to the head of the line. big headache for days, and got lots of extra
attention from the hunnies. :)

JoeBlackSpade
August 2, 2007, 12:21 AM
You guys with .45 ricochets must be plinking really close.

You using shotgun targets/poppers? If so, I can see the possibility of a real good ricochet. If not, I'd like to know what you were shooting on, in case I ever encounter a similar setup somewhere. I hit a number of different ranges, and use paper targets on them, but every once in a while, I get to use other types. I know the poppers have too much mass for any large caliber weapon at close range. Granted you can use 12ga. slugs on poppers forever and a day, but you'd better be 25 meters or more...

http://www.ipsc.org/image/poppers.jpg

I use something just a little similar to this:

http://douglasprecision.com/store/images/spinner.jpg

rantingredneck
August 2, 2007, 01:06 AM
My story is a little diferent. Shotgun. I was 14, opening day of dove season in Mississippi at my Grandfather's farm. Cornfield probably 200 yards long and 60 yards wide. I bent over to pick up my last bird and the stupid old man across the field shot at a low bird and dusted me. (father of my uncle by marriage) This of course led to a long string of profanity and the end of the hunt. This was not a simple peppering of shot landing on my head, this was a 50 yd. horizontal shot. Luckily I was facing away from the idiot so even though it broke the skin on my back and the back of my head it didn't get my face. Always wear shooting glasses!

I had the same thing happen but it was a 14 year old that shot me. Peppered and bruised my legs pretty good, but nothing penetrated my jeans. Had he aimed a bit higher and caught me in the face it would have been more serious.

Had some jerk whistle buckshot over my head once too while deer hunting. Had he aimed lower I wouldn't be sitting here typing.

Fishyfish
August 2, 2007, 10:56 AM
Well Me and my friends play "357 caliber firefight" with those primer-driven plastics, but other than that, I've shot at a wall with a shotgun and it ricocheid back...

Hallucinator
August 2, 2007, 05:36 PM
Bullet fragments, shrapnel. Very minor.

GalilARM
August 2, 2007, 05:49 PM
Every officer or soldier I've talked to compares being shot to being hit by a hammer very very hard.

markj
August 3, 2007, 09:58 AM
Age 14 I was shot with a shotgun. 80 yards so it didnt penetrate. Sounded wierd tho, the shot falling thru the tall grass as it hit me.

Working as a bouncer, took a guy outside cause he was creating a ruckus, let him go turned my back, he shot me with a .25, It hurt like a huge wasp stung me, eyes teared up couldnt see too good. Rolled under a truck to get away. Left shoulder blade took it. The bullet fragged into a few small pieces, a race track worker removed it for me.

I know a few VN vets that got shot up. They dont talk about it at all. Uncle was in for 3 tours but he is dead.

TWB
August 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
Arm wound, small caliber. Burning hot pain that went away (mostly) in twenty minutes or so, but movement was painful. I don't recommend it.

twb

el_diabl0
August 4, 2007, 11:35 PM
Luckily, I've only been shot in the a$$ with a BB gun. Stung like crazy. I have an uncle that was shot twice with a shotgun at close range (leg and back) and lived to tell about it, but didn't remember feeling any pain. He went into shock pretty quick. He was wearing a leather jacket and the docs said it saved his life. He was messin' with another man's wife.

JoeBlackSpade
August 5, 2007, 12:15 AM
He was messin' with another man's wife.

I suppose that's one way to get shot at...

chris in va
August 5, 2007, 12:24 AM
Interesting thread.

Bruxley
August 5, 2007, 12:53 AM
Wrote a post........deleted most of it............all that's left is:

I don't recommend it to most. I insisted on it for others.

I am alive, others are not, they earned what I only worked for.

120mm
August 13, 2007, 06:14 AM
My neighbor shot me in the back with #7 shot when he was engaging a running pheasant. Felt like a bee stung me. Only one pellet that I know of.

Anyone who has ever shot rifle or pistol at the Fort Knox Rod and Gun Club can verify that you get "peppered" just by standing on the firing line, or going downrange to check targets. The Trap and Skeet Club shoots in the direction of the firing line. My guess is that the Army wants all future Armor Officers to know what being shot at is like....

Friend of mine took 3 - 12 gauge rounds at near contact range. #7 shot (pheasant hunting is good around where I am from.) He was able to walk over to the phone and dial 911 and then sat down to wait for the ambulance.

(The BG was a psycho woman who was convinced my buddy was molesting her in her "dreams":eek:)

Groundhog
August 13, 2007, 09:15 AM
You live next door to Dick Cheney?:eek:

SquattingDog
August 13, 2007, 08:49 PM
I was reading a fun fact book and there was a fellow who had shot himself to see what it felt like. Then a few weeks later he shot himself again to see if it hurt as much as the last time.

shsuSig
August 13, 2007, 09:13 PM
never been shot but have been peppered plenty of times which hurt enough for me....duck hunting last year I got to a bad ass natural blind...it was about 4:30 am and I saw a boat getting to close to me and my buddy so we lit them up with the spot and thought they left...we were wrong....first shots at 6:30 and I was bleeding....the jerks moved in south of us and were 30 yards away......game warden caught them shooting in our direction and had seen us arrive at the spot that morning....those boys had a huge fine to pay and the warden took their hunting licenses.

Impulse 101
August 13, 2007, 09:20 PM
First post. Hi there.

I took an arrow in the leg, does that count? It sure hurt like hell. Luckily (?) it hit the bone and bounced back out. I'm pretty sure that it chipped my shinbone. I couldn't see it hurt so bad, but eventually I got back up and chased the dumb SOB that lobbed it in my direction.

The bullets that were shot at me have missed. I'm still thankful to this day for that. :)

JT

Derius_T
August 14, 2007, 01:22 AM
Once, back of the thigh, out the front, missed the bone. We were running, felt like someone punched or kicked me really hard on the back of the thigh, and I stumbled and fell, but got back up and ran on, having no idea I'd been hit, until we got to cover, and I went to squat down, and a bad pain, ike a big charlie horse hit me in the leg, and my buddy looked down and yelled for the medic. I still thought he had been hit, until they grabbed me. :o

Funny what adrenaline will do.

Birdville2011
August 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
i havent but my dad has been "not exaclty peppered" from a shot gun by the same guy twice, but different hunting trips. he is one of my dad's best friends but have never hunted together since.

Birdville2011
August 14, 2007, 02:58 PM
sorry i forgot,
i was peppered on opening day of dove season last year by the guys on the property next to where we were hunting. luckily i was wearing a hat and none of the burning hot pieces actually hit my skin or hair.

ZeSpectre
August 14, 2007, 03:08 PM
Yes, minor flesh wound (.22LR) the sensation was of impact and a feeling like I'd been burned with a cigarette.

Rifleman 173
August 17, 2007, 03:32 AM
I got hit once with shrapnel from a B-52 strike many, many miles from where I was at. My right arm suddenly jerked sideways real hard and then a strange pain set into place. The jerking action actually hurt because it had so much force behind it. The strange pain was one that I will ALWAYS remember: simultaneously it burned AND hurt. It burned so bad I thought that I was going to wet myself. The shrapnel was still in the wound and it was razor sharp.

Another time a bullet grazed my left arm. It just barely hit the surface of the skin and ripped across the fabric of the shirt on my arm. The best way to describe the sensation I got was imagine somebody hitting your arm with a white hot poker or metal bar. It doesn't go into the skin but it'll leave a raised welt on the skin. One other thing: you can also smell the odor of your skin being burned at the welt point by the speed of the bullet passing over it. Strange.

Both things happened to me when I was in Viet Nam.

Groundhog
August 17, 2007, 12:06 PM
Rifleman, don't know whether to call you lucky or unlucky. I've seen some shrapnel from Mk 82's. What I could find was bigger than the typical table saw blade and about 1/2" thick with lovely razor sharp jagged edges. I still have a hunk somewhere.

Rifleman 173
August 21, 2007, 09:15 PM
Groundhog, the piece of shrapnel that got me really was NOT very big. It was maybe 3 inches long and about an inch wide but it had impact! I've seen some pieces of shrapnel that looked to be size of a lawnmower blade and all sorts of jagged so I know exactly what you mean. The thing was that when I got hit, my arm just sort of flopped away from my body and then I felt two types of pain. One from the cutting and the other was a burning pain from the heat of the shrapnel. I will always remember that incident because until then, I had no idea what guys meant when they got hit with shrapnel about it "burning and hurting." Now I DO understand it but I had to learn about it the hard way.

wayneinFL
August 21, 2007, 09:46 PM
On the steel targets-

I was told in a USPSA RO class that pitted steel would have a tendency to throw splatter back at the shooter. And in my experience, any time splatter has come back and hit me the target was usually pitted pretty bad. And I don't think I've ever had good hard flat steel send anything back.

On the ricochets off reactive steel targets-

From what I understand our county sheriff's range had this happen a year or two ago. A shot fired at a steel target that was falling skipped off and went over the berm and hit a truck in an industrial park nearby.

FrontSight
August 21, 2007, 11:07 PM
Great thread! No, and hope to God Almighty that I never do...:o

EngineerMG
October 18, 2007, 05:29 AM
Hit in the foot by an AK and shrapnel from a grenade and field expedient claymore in the back and shoulder, Gotta love Iraq. Didnt notice the bullet or fragments until we called out the ACE reports and were redistributing ammo, then the burning started.

AutoPistola
October 30, 2007, 08:12 PM
.22 richotet off a dead branch and onto my winter coat. 25yds and back.

Frankyoz
October 30, 2007, 10:03 PM
Shrapnel a few times once in the neck which hurt the worse of all. Took a round to my body armor once as well, but lucky enough to miss getting tagged full on by a round. Like I said the shrapnel to the neck hurt the most laid me out and burned like hell. The force knocked me to the ground hard enough to knock the wind out of me and it burned like hell, afterwards it was like having a sore throat when your throat feels raw after coughing allot. Thank god my vest took the brunt of it never knocked wearing the neck flap ever again after that :o

ch47gunner
October 30, 2007, 10:27 PM
I took an AK round in the chicken plate.

Aircrew wore personel armor called chicken plates. Mostly we sat on 'em - but, when we were going in & out of LZ's I usually put mine on. I took a hit center mass & it slammed me half way across the bird & onto the deck. The round didn't penetrate (obviously) but, it did fragment. I took one of the smaller fragments in the chin & bled like a stuck pig. Also left a real beauty of a bruise on my torso. Scared the hell out of me. I'll vouch for the baseball bat thing.

Bruce

Crosshair
October 30, 2007, 11:11 PM
BB gun when I was 8 years old. Pellet bounced off my head. Nasty wound. Idiot neighbor shot me from behind. Hurt like freaking hell. Lots of blood.

Forrest Gump
October 31, 2007, 10:59 PM
Yes, Sir. Directly in the buttox. Some say its a million dollar wound, but the government must keep that money cause I ain't seen a nickle of that million dollars.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z137/evan1293-trp/ForrestGumpRunning.jpg

ibfestus
November 1, 2007, 12:26 PM
Only got a bruise from errant Walleye shrapnel on Little Vieques range in Puerto Rico.

My uncle had purple hearts from WWII and Vietnam. How he ever survived Vietnam only God knows. His squad was walking down a rice paddy dike when he took a round in the back. Paralyzed him and he ended up in a sitting position and unable to move. A NVA runs up and shoots him in the head with an AK knocking him over. He was in the hospital and rehab for 2 years.

My father in Law was in Korea and was wounded and laid out in freezing weather overnight. The cold probably kept him from bleeding out but caused him to have a stroke. He was very sick for several years and died at age 42 in 1964.

SteelJM1
November 1, 2007, 12:45 PM
I only got shrapnel form a self inflicted wound. I wanted to see if a .30-06 would bite through a 3/4" steel plate, so I thought it would be a good idea to do it from 5 feet away. A nice chunk of steel lodged in my forearm which my buddy picked out. lots of blood, but didnt hurt too badly. And the round didn't make it through either (150gr ball out of a Garand).

Lesson: don't shoot at steel plates from close range with ANYTHING.

grymster2007
November 1, 2007, 01:21 PM
I've been shot at several times!:eek:

Only my quick reflexes, tactical rolls and... well, hiding behind stuff saved my a##.:D

All of this was a long time ago. These days I work pretty hard staying out of those situations.

i_beat_it_in
November 1, 2007, 01:52 PM
+3 for our new friend forest!:D that was just too funny. my step dad took 1 directly in the corn hole in nam.:eek: didn't sit on his helmet couple stitches couple weeks of partying "rest" head back out.

Superhouse 15
November 1, 2007, 02:47 PM
Took 9 pellets of #1 buckshot in a hunting accident a few years ago. The sensation was like standing next to a fire lit with gas. Just a rush of air around me. It didn't hurt till later although I lost some movement in my arm for a few minutes. Got hit in both arms, both legs, my back, crotch and butt. Hit in the side with most travelling around, a range of about 20 yards. Still have one in my left leg and feel it every once in a while. I walked quite a way out of the woods when it happened and didn't feel any pain for an hour or so. Had one removed from my back against my spine, one fell out of my butt on it's own. Besides my leg, the rest were through and through.

hogdogs
November 1, 2007, 09:38 PM
As a kid we played "chicken" lined up several of us would shoot at an 18 wheeler tire if you ducked you were the chicken... I got "hit" several times with BB's... Same era I used to cut thru fields to get home but had to cross "the crazy guy's" place on the short cut. He had goats and chickens but usually I snuck past with little fan fare. One trip they got carrying on as soon as I got in his yard... His mangy mean house dog lit up so I scooted. The closest I was to his house was exiting the opposite end of the yard. He stepped out and gave me both barrels with rock salt! It was from my back down to my butt cheeks... Burned like heck but healed fine...
Later an adult shot me with a pretty powerful pellet gun for kicks... Mom finally picked it out a couple weeks later...
No bullet wounds yet (I am knocking on the walnut desk as I type)...
Brent

oldironman
November 1, 2007, 10:12 PM
I took a 12 gage 7 1/2 shot in the backside at about 25 or so yards. I was the 2nd living thing my grandson shot - about 13 years ago. He was 8. To make a long story short, I had to jump a fence to pick up a downed dove when BAM! It hurt like heck. I made him pluck a bunch of pellets out of my back butt and legs while he was crying. Maybe 8 years later my chiropractor's x-ray found 4 more that had migrated around (or through something) in front of my stomach. Now I have to track them to make sure they don't go into any vitals.

ironvic
November 1, 2007, 10:21 PM
.22 LR to the mid-forehead. I was shooting tin cans at Lytle Creek in CA when a .22 round out of my S&W Model-18 ricocheted off a rock ane came straight back at me. It nailed me right in the forehead. The whack smarted and felt like a heavy thump of lead on impact, kicked my head back smartly, but otherwise only left a red mark and low grade headache for the rest of the day.

Sometimes God smiles on stupid handgunners and let's 'em get off with a lesson they'll not soon forget.

ironvic

FS2K
November 1, 2007, 10:48 PM
Yes. My shoulder. .38spl.

and it hurt. :)

ActivShootr
November 2, 2007, 07:50 AM
This happened when I was about 12 or 13. I shot a stump with a 12 ga. slug. The slug bounced off the stump and hit me in the abdomen. It left a nasty bruise for about two weeks. "Hurt like hell didn't it?" was the only response I got from my dad.

Double J
November 2, 2007, 11:33 AM
--Once, 12 gauge shot gun from 30 yards from my uncle while dove hunting. Return fire by empting 20 ga. Browning auto.
--Once, .22 LR hollow point, richochet back while squirrel hunting. Just stuck in hide of my chest.
--Once, .31 Pocket revolver, ball bounced back off 3/4 in. plywood. Too low powder load, hit ankle. No damage.
--Once, .45 CVA Kentucky rifle while cleaning after deer hunt. Had hand on ramrod down barrel when it went off. Left a deep slash across right palm, into/out of thumb. Permanent nerve damage. Ramrod exited hand, killed a
loaf of Bunny Bread. Jag remains in wall. :D

FM12
November 3, 2007, 05:19 PM
Not yet. But, I'm on call this week-end, and it's early Sat. evening.:eek:

Para Bellum
November 4, 2007, 05:51 AM
Only hit by 9mm Luger ricochet from a broken backstop at 10-15ft while running by and shooting a scenario in training. Broke sweater, undershirt and skin, stung and burnt and make me swear out loud. But I could finish the scenario and check it out later on.

It was just a scratch but gave me a tiny idea of what a real hit would be like. I have taken quite some punches and kicks from good fighters in good training, was knocked unconscious twice and all that was much more pleasant than the sting and burn and not knowing how bad it was until the scenario was finished.

SpookBoy
November 4, 2007, 09:37 AM
once when i was 13 i was shot by a farmer with a salt rock in the rear end. also went shooting my mosin recently at some bowling pins,and I shot the iron beam that was holding them up.I cought some metal shards in the shin other than that i considder myself very lucky.

Hawg
November 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
3 times. Hurts like hell.

Kreyzhorse
November 4, 2007, 12:30 PM
My boss, a Vietnam vet was shot 2 twice. He personally recommended that I avoid it at all costs.

saskuach
November 4, 2007, 12:39 PM
Caught some .22 fragments from a steel plate I was shooting at. They were very small - so small the holes didn't even bleed, but it burned like I had been poked with a red-hot needle.

Astrodokk
November 9, 2007, 10:33 AM
Concussion from a grenade. Dropped my M16A1 and blacked out for a few seconds. Bled from my ears and nose. I don't hear well from my right ear.

Shot at by someone with a shotgun in Korea. Was running so fast that the pellets didn't reach me.

Hiking in the hills and mountains with two others when the side of the hill about 5 yds. ahead of us started falling apart. Then we heard the reports of rifle fire. We shouted down to them to cease fire because people were up here...they began to shoot even more. We were carrying too, so from prone we returned fire. I could see them and I aimed right at the shooter's belly. They were about 50 -75 yards away and below us. The guy I aimed at got pulled away from sight by his buddy. after, we went to look at the area but no sign of them..and no blood. I guess they didn't like an even fight.

Oh, I've been stabbed too, and many street fights way before UFC mixed martial arts became vogue. I grew up in East LA.

joab
November 9, 2007, 10:55 AM
I got shot in the foot
Felt just like someone had shot me in the foot

And thus ended my quickdraw career

33bjones
November 9, 2007, 10:55 AM
my husband was with a rubber bullet... I wasn't there and don't know the circumstances, but I did see the bruise.... WOW... it was on his backside, and he said it hurt like h*ll.

Bama Rifleman
November 9, 2007, 11:55 AM
Shot while hunting doves. Luckly I saw the idiot throw down on a low flying bird between us and had time to turn and only caught the shot on the left arm and side of the face and neck. No penetration but several blisters.:mad:

dead-eye-ked
November 9, 2007, 12:15 PM
First off 120mm you are very very lucky, when I Pheasent hunt I use #4 myself and most people use between #2 and #4ish the fact he had #7 was very lucky for you!! You may not think there is a diffrence, but #4 high base, vers #7 shot.. Well you are lucky.. lol

Only thing that I have been hit with is shot #7 and #8 shot peppering you across field while dove hunting around Salton Sea area, and there are a LOT of hunters there every year opening day. Just stings, never broke any skin worst one was a red mark and I remember the shot being very hot. So I don't count any of that as being shot.

markj
November 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
Man been hunting pheasant since the early 60s, use 7.5 early on improved cyl, then go to 6 shot and modified 3rd week or so. We like to eat them here in Iowa and Nebr. 4 and 2 wrecks the birds...

Got 2 7.5s in the left shoulder :) from way way back, like 68 or 69 we were kids playing around while hunting. Ouchie, didnt happen again tho.

Chui
November 19, 2007, 08:21 PM
Took a 9mm JHP into my left hand at close range about 12 years ago. Anyone who tells you "nine millimeter won't do the job" I KNOW is obviously is lying to you... :D The round broke all of my carpal bones and blasted one out. The round left lead and cupronickel in my hand which I'm quite sure some is still there.

Was fine all the way to the hospital and stabilization (maybe 20 minutes looking bacck, though it seemed like a week). Then I passed out due to hypovolemic shock.

After all is said and done I'm a much better defensive shooter as I'd blast a goblin quicker than a heart palpatation due to a TRUE, HONEST-TO-GOD fear of intense pain as a result of another bullet entering my body. I have eyes in places I don't wish to think about. :p Yes, I CAN laugh about it now...

Odd thing is that I never imagined it would hurt so much and I never thought I could take even more pain than I did. There is much more to us than we (normally know). Those who have been in many firefights (and severely injured in the process) probably have a better grasp on this than I.

Be safe and ALWAYS COVER YOUR SIX!

GalilARM
November 19, 2007, 09:54 PM
Hiking in the hills and mountains with two others when the side of the hill about 5 yds. ahead of us started falling apart. Then we heard the reports of rifle fire. We shouted down to them to cease fire because people were up here...they began to shoot even more. We were carrying too, so from prone we returned fire. I could see them and I aimed right at the shooter's belly. They were about 50 -75 yards away and below us. The guy I aimed at got pulled away from sight by his buddy. after, we went to look at the area but no sign of them..and no blood. I guess they didn't like an even fight.

Dang...was this in Korea or here in the states? I'd like to know what the hell was going on if this was happening stateside...thats freaky...

cold dead hands
November 27, 2007, 02:33 AM
When I was 12 I thought I could crack a golf ball with my air rifle at point blank range. I don't really remember where the ricochet hit me (and it hurt like all hell), but I do remember that I learned a very important lesson about properly using that rifle. Soft targets only.

teeroux
November 27, 2007, 02:40 AM
i've had bird shot rain down on me cause of an a-hole friend of mine shootin in the air for no reason but thats it.

evan1293
November 27, 2007, 03:11 AM
No, but I got stabbed, does that count? It was a table saw that stabbed me...an 8" piece of .25" steel rod broke off the machine and the blade launched it back at me and went clean through my hand. After that incident, I know I really-really don't ever want to get shot.

animal
November 27, 2007, 03:25 AM
sort of ….357 mag… High angle ricochet off a rock deep in a dirt bank ..scraped my chest, fell inside of shirt and ended up falling out pants leg. While I was "dancing ", It put burns on waistband and scrotum. :eek: I wore boxers instead of briefs for a while after that …especially when shooting.

Also a hit to the upper right thigh (rear) with a 12 ga. load of rock salt mixed with bacon fat (the "slug" version of a rock salt load) Felt like a baseball bat hit combined with 30 - 50 cigarette burns and left a bruise from the back of the knee to the top of the butt. To make matters worse, I fell on top of the watermelon I was running with and busted it.:o
Lots of times with birdshot, scraped by a buckshot pellet once, and a bunch of near misses.

MyGunsJammed
November 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
I have been shot at once on the highway I dont know, it must have been with a powerful air gun or a .22 rifle.... what happened was I was driving along and a stray bullet busts out my passenger side window shattering the glass, causing my passenger to get a few cuts on his face from the shattering glass....and I felt the wind as the projectile passed by my face....

That incident ruined a weekend camping trip for me :mad:

The second is my 26 year old brother who has served a few months in Iraq with the US NAVY Seabee battalion. He told me his unit, him included has been shot at with RPG's and AK47's as they were convoying around from place to place throughout Baghdad...and he did mention to me that when you are shot at with RPG's and AK's your adrenaline level tends to shoot thru the roof, but he kept his cool even though he was a bit scared.

mthalo
November 28, 2007, 08:57 PM
I feel like a putz posting this after reading the accounts of the war vets, but..

.22LR ricochet from about 10 yards. Felt just like a... ricocheting .22.

It hit hard enough to draw blood and for a second, I thought it was still in me.
Then I saw the slug on the floor, still spinning.

That's as close as I want to come.

Malexander
November 29, 2007, 12:13 AM
Last year an air rifle pellet was lofted into the courtyard of my student residence and his the window next to where I was sitting watching TV. It blew a hole in the double glazing and the superintendent threatened to charge us for the window. The cops showed up and sided with us.

I don't care to come any closer than that.

katana8869
November 29, 2007, 08:22 AM
Hiking in the hills and mountains with two others when the side of the hill about 5 yds. ahead of us started falling apart. Then we heard the reports of rifle fire. We shouted down to them to cease fire because people were up here...they began to shoot even more. We were carrying too, so from prone we returned fire.

I had a very simular experience while camping with a buddy here in FL about 20 years ago. Neither of us were hit, but there was alot of shooting on both sides.

I've never been shot other than typical kids and BB Guns stuff, but my Dad got an RO with a richochet off of a steel popper during an IPSC match. The lead round hit the popper, flattened like a pancake and then flew back over my Dad's shoulder and struck the RO who was standing behind him in the sternum. It left a big nasty bruise but other than that he was okay but very, very shook up :eek: (understandably)

Elvishead
November 30, 2007, 02:58 AM
Never been shot, but I shot my older brother in the back at about 25 yards with my BB gun in 1977 (10yo) with only one pump in my 10 pump crossman rifle.

He dropped in a spit second. He got up and started changing, I dropped the gun (Big mistake), he picked it up and I could hear him pumping it multiple times and firing as I was zig zagging. Hard to hit a moving target with a BB gun.:D

Never did get hit.

We still talk about it every Thanks Giving.

bigmike0176
November 30, 2007, 02:39 PM
When I was 14, me and some freinds were hunting some farm land,with permission, and evidintly crossed the property line when some crazy ass farmer came over the hill and peppered me with a 12 guage filled with rock salt. He was close enuff that it went thru the back of my jeans and hunting jacket, never felt such a burning feeling in my life... He's lucky I was to busy running like a little girl to return fire...