PDA

View Full Version : Gas-check

davlandrum
July 30, 2007, 10:26 AM
Can someone explain what a gas-check bullet is? I have seen it several times on this board and I have no idea what it it - no that unusual for me, I admit..:confused:

mikejonestkd
July 30, 2007, 11:00 AM
Give this a try,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_check

( Yes, I Know Wiki is not a reference, but it is a starting point...)

SASS guys use them when driving cast lead bullets at higher velocities. The are not too many other uses these days.

Rimrod
July 30, 2007, 10:42 PM
A gas check is a copper cup crimped onto the base of a lead bullet. It is used for higher velocity lead bullet loads or softer bullets used for hunting. The bullets will have a smaller base to accept the check but if used for very low velocity loads it is better to leave the gas check off or it may come off and lodge in the barrel.

davlandrum
July 31, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys, I feel a little less ignorant than I did this morning...:o

Magnum Wheel Man
July 31, 2007, 02:15 PM
the purpose is to help cut down on melting, & the resulting "leading" of your barrel, when shooting exposed lead based bullets, with enough powder under them...

FirstFreedom
August 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
At what thresshold velocity are gas checks considered necessary? Around the speed of sound?

LHB1
August 1, 2007, 01:42 PM
"At what thresshold velocity are gas checks considered necessary? Around the speed of sound?"

FF,
Depends on the individual gun and load. I have loads using cast bullets that measure up to 1425 fps across a chronograph WITHOUT gas checks and no measurable leading for first 50-75 rounds fired. Have been loading and shooting cast lead bullets since 1964 without ever using gas checks in pistol loads. Did use them in rifle loads at velocities around 2000 fps. Note that the bullet must be designed for a gas check (have a rebated heel).

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

FirstFreedom
August 1, 2007, 03:08 PM
LBH1, thanks!