PDA

View Full Version : I really like my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911A1

spyderdude
July 29, 2007, 09:26 PM
Today, I finally got the chance to shoot my new 1911. I ran 249 flawless 230 grain FMJs through it with one pre-mature slide lock on a last round, so 250 rounds with one malfunction. I got 1-2" groups at 10 yards. The only problem I have with this gun is the hammer tends to bite the web of my right hand, so right now it is a bit sore, and red. I'm going to eventually add a new grip safety and hammer to solve that problem. I really like the taller sights too, because it makes it easier to acquire the target shot after shot. I couldn't do that with the GI model I used to own.

So if you're like me, and you can't or don't want to dish out a lot of money for a 1911 pistol, definitely give the Mil-Spec a try, its a solidly built, and very reliable pistol. Next time I hit the range, I'll see how it does with 230 gr. Hydroshocks, because I also want this to be a carry gun.

I also ran 250 more rounds through my G19, and managed to drill out the center of the target at 15 yards. Shooting my Mil-Spec is alot like shooting my G19. It never jams, and more or less hits where I point.

asianthug
July 29, 2007, 09:38 PM
I think it is the lowest price 1911 out there, is that correct? I read several articles stating that this is a closest design to Browning's original. I shot it before and thought it felt better than my friends' Kimber and Wilson Combat. The slide is very easy to rack, which is a big help in emergency. It feel very comfortable and very light comparing to the high-end 1911. Overall, I really like it as well but won't get because 1911 style gun isn't my favorite. With limited budget, I won't get it until I get all the things on my wish list. Currently, there are 8 lefts, both rifles, shotguns, and handguns.

I didn't shoot for accuracy so I don't know how it compares to others.

Taurus_9mm
July 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
Congratulations on your purchase! I just picked up a Springfield myself, though mine is a XD .45. My 1911 needs are currently filled by my Taurus PT1911 (and I do love it) but I plan on adding a Springfield G.I. Fullsize Hi-cap to the stable at some future point. Probably not in the near future unfortunately as there are too many others firearms currently on the wish list. :D

Best Wishes

Blue Duck
July 29, 2007, 11:13 PM
Congradulations, on your new gun. I also just picked one up this last saturday. However, mine is the Springfield Mil-spec lightweight GI Champion. I only got to fire it maybe twenty times, this morning. It fed and ejected fine and shot to point of aim.

It worked flawlessly with the factory mag, but I tried a Wilson Combat mag in it, and it also fed fine but didn't lock open on the last round fired. The Wilson mags work great on my other guns, but the slide stop is stiffer on the this new gun. So I ordered a couple of regular nickel plated 7rd. Mec-Gars for my new lightweight.

outlaw6
July 30, 2007, 12:54 AM
I love my SA Mil-Spec. The rear sight did come loose after about 300 rounds. I sent it back to Springfield for repair and I got it back in less than 2 weeks and was reimbursed for the shipping.

Rob96
July 30, 2007, 03:12 AM
I love the Mil-Spec as well. I was on a mission to find a good preowned one for a project. I was lucky enough to find a "NM" prefixed serial number one with only 50 rounds fired through it. I picked it up for $366. I sent it into the Springfield Custom Shop, for a beavertail, skeleton hammer, 10-8 Performance rear sight, 10-8 Performance long trigger,extended thumb safety, 4.5# trigger job, and reparkerizing. They did a tremendous job on it.