PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG Rifle Kit???

Full-choke
July 29, 2007, 05:32 PM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of any 50 BMG kit rifles...something to put together yourself. I've always wanted to do a build and I think it is a common agreement on here that the 50 BMG is pretty much the most amazing thing around. So, does anyone know of a package to buy and put together yourself? Single shot bolt is pretty much all I want, so it wouldn't even be complicated...but I thought I would throw the idea out there.

If no one comes up with a 50, anything that is both "KIT" and "BIG" in the same package works. I'd like to do a build regardless for my next gun purchase.

-Ryan

50 shooter
August 1, 2007, 12:36 AM
If you can DIY theres the Maadi Griffin www.maadigriffin.com

jmorris
August 1, 2007, 12:18 PM
I built a maddi, but unless you own a mill, lathe, Tig welder, and have all the tooling you should pass on it. It's by no means a beginer project.

Scorch
August 1, 2007, 01:41 PM
Full-choke:
You just got a 375 H&H. Has the big-bore bug bitten you that bad already?

Full-choke
August 1, 2007, 02:18 PM
Big Bore? Well, not exactly. But the really frickin' schweet bug...ABSOLUTELY! I thought it would be cool to do because I more or less wanted to do a build and that justified getting a BMG, but I think I better stick to something a little easier on the first go round of building a rifle. I think I might want to start at just modding one out first.

By the way...I did an inventory of guns. I have a lot. And then I did a calculation as to how much my last year of school is going to cost. It is going to cost a lot more. So, in lew of school, I'm thinking about which guns will go first. I know my Savage 93R17 is going to go, but I'm taking the money from that and putting it to a centerfire varmint gun. I gotta take care of the yotes and ghogs somehow:D. I have a sporterized 303 Enfield that is definitely going. It will go with 30+ rounds of surplus ammo. $175 on it. I have a post in the gun show. I'm still deciding on which of my big bores I'm going to sell, whether it is the 45-70 or the 375 H&H but I need the money from one or the other. I will be sure to let you fellas know which one will be up for sale when I decide to do it. School is about a month out right now so I got some time to decide.

-Ryan

tulsamal
August 1, 2007, 02:49 PM
Rule #1: Never sell a gun.

Rule #2: If you really, really need the money, find it somewhere else. See Rule #1.

Rule #3: Guaranteed. Anyone ignoring Rule #1 will end up regretting it!

Gregg

Full-choke
August 1, 2007, 03:54 PM
Rule #1 - Never get attached to a gun.

Rule #2 - Everything is for sale at the right price.

Rule #3 - I'm young enough that I can find something like it down the road, so I'm not going to be heart broken.

Right now I'm leaning towards selling the 375 just for the fact that I am in desperate love with my 45-70 and surprisingly, it is the most accurate gun I own besides my 17, which I'm definitely getting rid of. But, either way, w/o school there will be no more guns period...

tulsamal
August 1, 2007, 07:21 PM
Rule #2 - Everything is for sale at the right price.

That sounds good but it just doesn't work for good guns. Prices go up and availability goes down. I'm a little more forgiving of selling a gun if it is still in current production but these things change all the time.

My personal example. The one and only gun I have ever sold. I was in the US Army, 25th ID, 85-89. In 1988 I bought a Steyr AUG for a little over $600. I think I ended up paying a total of $675. I shot it here and there but never really did get attached to it. But it was very cool and very unusual. A definite gun to show to visitors. Always wanted to shoot a US Army Qualification round with it just to compare scores.

Anyway, then Bush 41 put up the import ban. Prices shot up. And kept going up. Every time I took the AUG to the range and fired a mag through it, I just imagined the financial hit I was going to take if it somehow blew up on me. Just normal wear and tearing was lowering the value. I finally gave up in 91-92 and took it to the Tulsa Gun Show. Where I sold it for $2100 cash. Which I then used to buy some new guns. Which I still have.

1) I still miss that gun. So much so that I keep thinking these new US made AUG's are a possibility for me. It's a unique design. I'm not going to argue it is the "best" or anything but it is unique. I still carry the little round sight adjustment tool on my keyring 15 years later.

2) If I still had it and wanted to sell it, it would be worth twice what I sold it for back then. And I could have been shooting it (carefully) all this time. I'm sure as heck not going to pay over four thousand dollars for a used one today.

Selling a dirt common, plain vanilla gun that is still in production is a lesser sin but most of the time you end up regretting it. How many people have sold a gun for money and then turned right around and bought that model again years later?

Gregg

Full-choke
August 2, 2007, 07:29 AM
That is depressing. I doubt my lowly little custom 375 is worth that, but it might. To me, my 45-70 is worth a lot more then anything else for the shear fact that you can't get a rifle like it. I set it up piece by piece and made it so that it was a one of a kind. TC doesn't make anything close to it, which is why I like it. I got some really nice walnut stocks, good matching grain. Then I finished it off with a stainless receiver and barrel, absolutely gorgeous looking. Cryo-treated barrel, Konus Shotgun style scope...I can hit pop-can sized object at 100 yards! That thing is the single most accurate rifle I own...especially in big bores.