PDA

View Full Version : Replacement gun Fom S&W

ladyvols
July 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
Hi,

In March I purchased a Walther PPK/S for CCDW. The gun is a piece of c**p (V spring under the stricker pops out when you stripe the gun and the safty falls from fire to safe poistion for no reason. I sent the gun back to the factory in April. I got the gun back with the same problems. I returned the gun last week. A S&W CS rep called today and said that I could get my money back or they could swap the gun for a new CS9 at no additional cost.

I wasn't able to find out a lot on the CS9. Could some of you provide me with some comments concerning the two possible solutions. My XD 9mm and High Standard model 107 never have problems. I guess that it just my time to get a crappy gun.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

williamd
July 27, 2007, 09:39 PM
WOW! What did S&W do to screw up a really nice little pistol?:eek: I have twp PPK/S's and a PP ... never a hiccup from either type using any variation of ammo. And, all have been shot a significant number of times. The Walter safety is also the decocker and takes a reasonable amount of pressure to function on all I have tried. Know little about the CS9, but it is not as nice looking as a PP or PPK. Should that matter?? Yep.

Let us know.

David the Gnome
July 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah my S&W built PPK/S has been flawless. Sorry to hear you got a lemon.

BillCA
July 28, 2007, 06:23 AM
Ladyvols,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your pistol. As much as I like the PPK pistols, I can't shoot them because the slide "bites" me. The CS-9 is a little larger but a 9mm pistol.

Info on the CS-9 is available on S&W's website here (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=12755&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y).

The quick summary:

SKU: 103887
Model: CS9
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 7+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 3"
Front Sight: Dot Front Sight
Rear Sight: Novak Lo Mount Carry
Grip: Rubber Grips
External Safety: N/A
Frame: Small
Finish: Matte
Overall Length: 6 1/4"
Material: Alloy
Weight Empty: 20 oz.

The "Chief's Special 9" is available in .45 ACP as the CS-45. These are based on the traditional S&W DA pistol design which has been a good product. You might also consider asking S&W to replace it with a Model 3913LS (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=14726&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=)which is larger but still a comfortable carry gun.

Ozzieman
July 28, 2007, 10:12 AM
I have always wanted one and several years ago I to picked up one of the stainless Smiths and a cases of ammo. With several other mags I shot 400 rounds trying to break in it. In all those rounds I never got more than a couple of mags clean through the gun. Stove pipes to fail to feeds you name it.
I even tried several different manufactures and same thing. And yes I still have a small scar on the web of my shooting hand from one day shooting over 150 rounds through the POS.
I am a Smith fan with a dozen N frames but they destroyed a wonderful little gun, yes I know that there are good ones out there but you couldn’t give me one.
I traded it in for a wheel gun and went out and bought an older Walther, she is a sweet heart. I swear that gun would shoot rusted dented WW2 German ammo all day long.

Spenser
July 28, 2007, 12:00 PM
I think you'd like the CS9.

I have a bunch of experience with the CS45. I like it. Madogre.com has a very good review of a CS9, probably worth checking out.

http://www.madogre.com/weapons_section.htm

rdebert
July 29, 2007, 12:41 AM
I have one of the CS9's. Mine is an older or original version with the blued slide and the single side safety lever. I think the current versions are stainless with amidextrious safety levers. Mine has never failed to function in any way. I have very small hands so it is comfortable to me. However the primary complaint from others seems to be that the grip is not comfortable for people with larger hands. It is a short grip (using 7 round single stack mags) and they installed a somewhat thick Hogue grip to help reduce felt recoil of the 3 inch barrel subcompact 9mm. No one seems to make a thinner replacement grip (as far as I have been able to find). The grip of the somewhat larger models 908 or 3913 are more comfortable to me..and it seems a lot more for people with larger hands than mine (which is why many may recommend pushing Smith and Wesson for one of these models over the CS9). The 908 and the 3913 are 8 round single stacks with a 3.5 inch barrel instead of a 3 inch barrel...basically the same design where the 908 is a more budget friendly version of the 3913. Mine is very accurate and easily matches the accuracy of my model 908 even though it has a shorter barrel and sight radius. Very easy to conceal and very easy to carry. My CS9 is what I refer to as my personal private executive 9mm. If I run across a good deal on a stainless model I am going to jump on it without hesitation.

In terms of exchange value/dollars...a new model 3913 is the most expensive with a very loyal fan club. A new CS9 will sell for less than the 3913 and slightly more than the model 908. If you could swing an exchange for a new 3913 I expect you would come out ahead. If they won't go for that and there is a chance that the shorter somewhat thicker grip of the CS9 is going to be a problem then I would push for the stainless version of the model 908 (called the 908S.) If they are offering the CS9 I can't imagine why they wouldn't go for the 908S. Personally, I would jump on the CS9 myself because I really like mine.

fast200
July 29, 2007, 12:53 AM
I'd ask for my money back and move on. At least that way you can take your time and pick what you want.

ladyvols
July 29, 2007, 12:10 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all your comments. After reviewing your thoughts, reading several reviews of the CS9 and talking with some people at Bluegrass range and a locial gun shop, I have decided to try the CS9. The major problem seems to be the grips and a guy at the range is going to let me compare the standard grip with two wood grips that he has for his CS9. Spenser thanks for the link to amdogre.com.

ladyvols
July 29, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hi again,

Just a short note about the problems I had with the Walther PPK/s. For the last 3 days I tried to find the PPK and PPK/s on S&W website. When you select PPK/s or PPK from the model dropdown list or select .380 from the dropdown list, you get an error message. Also, if you manualy enter these terms in the search box, you get links to other pistols or events. This could be that there is a site problem, but you can select or search for other guns and the results are normal.

Thanks again for your input!!!

j-framer
July 29, 2007, 07:22 PM
Ladyvols,

For the last 3 days I tried to find the PPK and PPK/s on S&W website.

Though the PPK and PPK/S are manufactured by S&W, they are still Walthers, if only in name. Because of this, you must go to the Walther America website to view information on them: http://www.waltheramerica.com/

One other thing. I was surprised to see that S&W volunteered to replace your PPK/S with, of all things, another model! Why didn't they offer to replace it with a properly functioning PPK/S? 'Tis passing strange. Am I missing something?

Spenser
July 30, 2007, 11:27 AM
"Spenser thanks for the link to amdogre.com."

No problem. I've been subtly hunting for a CS9 for awhile, myself. If I can find somebody willing to work a trade, I'm going to be a proud owner of one.

Hope it works well for you.