PDA

View Full Version : Safe in the garage?

jclayto
July 27, 2007, 03:15 PM
I think I am going to be getting a 24 gun Winchester fire safe in the near future. I am considering locating it in the garage. What do you think of this? From the safety standpoint, part of me thinks "in the garage is easy to steal" but the other half of me says anyone that can steal a 600+lb safe probably earned it.

Also I am in SC where we have a lot of humidity, the local gun store recommended leaving the safe on the wood pallet to allow air to circulate, as well as putting some moisture absorbing gel in the safe. Do you think this is a good idea, or should I just try to convince the wife to find a place for it inside?

Should I need to do anything to the floor of the house if I decide to move it indoors? It's a 10 year old home with crawlspace.

Thanks in advance

Creature
July 27, 2007, 03:20 PM
There have been recent posts regarding humidity control in a safe and many people have had great success with the GoldenRod. I live along the coast and so I ordered one online a couple days ago. You might want to consider a goldenrod as well.

Don H
July 27, 2007, 07:21 PM
part of me thinks "in the garage is easy to steal"
That part of you is correct. Two guys in a pickup could have an unsecured safe out of a garage in under 2 minutes - back up to it, tip it into the bed, lift and slide the bottom forward. Adios.

2002gti
July 27, 2007, 07:35 PM
Quote:
part of me thinks "in the garage is easy to steal"

That part of you is correct. Two guys in a pickup could have an unsecured safe out of a garage in under 2 minutes - back up to it, tip it into the bed, lift and slide the bottom forward. Adios.

yeah but for the bad guys to rip it off they'll need to know its in there in the first place. mine is in the garage(in california) and i use the silicone pellets for humidity controll but if i were in a severe humid area i probably would opt for a golden rod. i have my 36 gun cannon with a refirgerator box wrapped around it so if passer byers gander into the garage all they see is cardboard. when i go to the range all my loading up of the car is in the garage.

Magdaddy
July 27, 2007, 07:46 PM
Anchor it the floor, use the resin anchors and don't tighten em down for a couple of days. Unless thieves are prepared to jack-hammer the floor your safe. I also like the idea of masking it with a big box or a home-made cabinet.

BikerRN
July 28, 2007, 03:20 AM
No matter if the safe is in the house or the garage, ANCHOR IT!

I shouted that because I think it's really important. As far as humidity control, the goldenrod seems to work really well, plus the gel packs.

Take care and good luck.

Biker

BillCA
July 28, 2007, 05:07 AM
jclayto,

+1 on anchoring the safe.

You live in South Carolina so consider the impact of a hurricane and/or flooding. A garage floor is typically at ground level vs. a pier & beam floor with a crawlspace. If you anchor it in the garage, plan carefully first as it will be a pain to move later.

Garage drawbacks
- easy access to your tools to try to open the safe, even if you lock up your tools.
- Ground-level location susceptible to flooding
- No climate control (assuming you have a/c in the house)
- Easier access than to the home itself (most garages have 2 doors neither of which is well secured)

Depending on the age of your home and its condition, consider planning the safe's exact location inside the house. Then crawl under the house and measure it's location from underneath. Add 4x4 supports on piers if needed to support the weight and keep the floor from sagging over time.

Martyn4802
July 28, 2007, 10:15 AM
Since you don't have a basement, which would be the ideal place for a safe, so it doesn't get stolen, I think the garage would work. Just anchor it as the guys above have said. Most importantly, don't advertise. Keep the garage door shut so people can't see your safe. Put guns in the car while it is in the garage, so nosey neighbors don't see you carrying guns out of the house.
I use the large dessicant bags to keep my guns rust free. I use two in the safe, and they work. They cost about $30 per, but are very good. I didn't want to go the heated rod route.

Martyn

jclayto
July 29, 2007, 04:34 PM
I appreciate all the kind replies! Hopefully I will have the safe in the next few weeks. I am looking into putting it in the house for my own peace of mind, but if I go the garage root I will anchor and disguise it with a frige box, that was a great idea!

Thanks!

FirstFreedom
July 29, 2007, 11:55 PM
Convince the better half to put it in the house....for no other reason than to have quick & easy access to your toys, for fondling sessions. :) No, you don't need to do anything - the wooden floor will support 600 lbs with 250 lbs of junk inside pretty easily.

skeeter
July 30, 2007, 01:58 AM
Even a safe bolted to the floor will be quick and easy to remove if a truck can access it. A chain or heavy rope tied around the top of the safe will use the safe itself as a lever and bust the bolts. THEn it is just a matter of putting it in a pickup.
It is best to bolt it to the floor and 2 walls inside the home. A pickup with a hitch and chain can remove a whole wall never mind a safe.
No one may know about the safe right away but will the garage be painted, garage door workers see it, passing car, etc.

SA1911A1/45
August 2, 2007, 06:33 AM
Golden rod and REDHEADS. Bolt it to the floor.