PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a "Fine" gun ....

DoItRight
July 24, 2007, 07:28 PM
I've been shooting for a few years now -- got my start right here on TFL. I have owned a number of guns -- sold some when money got tight, kept the ones that I was able to afford or that I liked. Now, I am in a position to treat myself and I'm going to do it "First Class."

This is my deal:

* I don't carry nor do I plan to -- my shooting is purely recreational at the range. (I just find satisfaction in being able to put bullets where I want them on a target.)

* For convenience and economy's sake, I only shoot .22 and 9MM

* I already own a Browning Buckmark, a Beretta Neos, a Star BM, a Bersa 223, and an S&W K22 (Actually, a Pre-Model 17)

Now, I am looking for a 9MM that is a "Fine" gun. Not collector's item but something that is a little special -- not necessarily a work of art but something nicer than the average "tool." I am looking for something that is both classic and classy.

I've been thinking about a BHP or perhaps a 1911 in 9MM but I'm sure the board has opinions -- I'd love to hear them!

'75Scout
July 24, 2007, 07:39 PM
Either choice is great, but I prefer the Sig persuasion.

David the Gnome
July 24, 2007, 07:45 PM
I was also going to suggest a Sig. :p

IanS
July 24, 2007, 07:47 PM
BHP customized by Novaks or maybe Yost

HK P7/M8

SIG P210

SIG X5

S&W 952

Various offerings by STI or SVI

SA 1911 9mm customized by 'XXXXX'

Semi-Custom makers like Nighthawk or SA Custom can make you a nice 1911 9mm too

All very nice. Unfortunately, its the pricey guns that are special and "fine" but that's the way it is.

Webleymkv
July 25, 2007, 10:28 AM
Sphinx perhaps? Or you could go with someting historical and get a Luger.

JoeHatley
July 25, 2007, 10:36 AM
[quote]I am looking for a 9MM that is a "Fine" gun.[/img]

You might want to look at a S&W 952
http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/952_r.jpg

Or, if you like the 1911 platform, order a RRA Competition 9 mm
http://rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=PS2610&storeid=1&image=pupc.gif

Good Luck...

Joe

fisherman66
July 25, 2007, 10:41 AM
Browning for "extra special".

CZ (or clone) for "perfect range gun that can take a scratch and you won't feel sick".

wide_open
July 25, 2007, 10:41 AM
I say check out the Sig P226 X-Five.

vertigoing
July 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
The Sig 226 would make for a nice, accurate addition to your collection. The CZ 75b in stainless steel is also an excellent choice.

jaymce
July 25, 2007, 12:33 PM
Again on the Sig 226,
At one time I could punch 15 rounds in a 3 in or tighter group at about 30ish ft. Could not do that with any of my other guns.

Rimrod
July 25, 2007, 12:54 PM
BHP

BigJimP
July 25, 2007, 01:11 PM
Go with a 1911 - Kimber makes a few like the Tactical Pro II model or give Wilson Combat a call - they will make a number of models, like the CQB or Protector in 9mm for you ( they may have a few in stock ).

buckster
July 25, 2007, 10:17 PM
CZ 75 B in Stainless. They are accurate.

oldbillthundercheif
July 25, 2007, 10:26 PM
Everyone needs a Hi-Power.

DoItRight
July 25, 2007, 10:49 PM
All -

I appreciate all of the opinions and suggestions! I have been doing my research and am really leaning toward a customized BHP although the S&W 952 has seriously intrigued me.

FWIW, here is another one that has caught my eye -- any thoughts on this deal?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z126/glennster_photos/2007_0723Images0021.jpg

(Details here: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255579)

Wildalaska
July 25, 2007, 10:52 PM
SIG 210!

Wildtherollsroyceof9mmAlaska

1911 Shooter
July 25, 2007, 11:04 PM
+ 2 on the Sig 210, a real tack driver very collectable.

glockman19
July 25, 2007, 11:11 PM
I am looking for a 9MM that is a "Fine" gun.
Glock
Not collector's item but something that is a little special
Glock
-- not necessarily a work of art but something nicer than the average "tool." I am looking for something that is both classic and classy.
Glock

Based on your other guns It's time for a Glock. Fits all of your criteria and it's also not expensive. There was a group buy on THR not long ago where you could get most glock models for $450 NIB, add a littl more for night sights.

I's get a Glock 17 or my favorite a Glock 19. The 19 IMHO is the perfect size to shoot and I even carried mine until I got the Glock 26.

IMHO the Glock makes the best 9mm. 17/19/26/34. They are accurate, reliable and virtually indestructible. They have fewer parts than most (34) and can be customized easily and inexpensvely with aftermarket barrels, 3.5 trigger pulls, night sights, hi-cap mags depending on location and much more.

DoItRight
July 25, 2007, 11:40 PM
Based on your other guns It's time for a Glock ... IMHO the Glock makes the best 9mm. 17/19/26/34. They are accurate, reliable and virtually indestructible ...Interesting that you'd bring up the Glock.

The first gun I ever held was a Glock -- it belonged to my first firearms instructor. If I'm not mistaken, it was a G26 and I remember my first impression being, "This thing is tiny -- and it has a funny trigger." I was a totally green shooter and didn't know S from S but like most first impressions, it was a lasting one and I pretty much stayed away from Glocks.

Fast forward about three years and I saw a Glock that REALLY caught my eye. Although a lot of people consider it ugly, I thought (and continue to think) that the Glock 34 is one of the uniquely-cool looking firearms out there. Something about that l-o-n-g slide really appeals to me and I hunted for (and finally found) one to shoot. Therein lies the rub.

It simply doesn't fit my hand well. :(

I have often read where people compare shooting a Glock to "holding a 2x4." Absolutely no disrespect intended but I now know exactly what they mean. Even though I have very big hands, the feel was all wrong.

I have no dog in the fight regarding the Glock's quality, reliability, or suitability to task -- I certainly don't want to contribute to the flame wars as there have been way too many of those on TFL regarding Glocks.

I happen to believe that they're great guns -- but they aren't for me.

GalilARM
July 26, 2007, 02:40 PM
Sounds like the H&K P7/M8 is exactly what youre looking for. One of the most accurate and unique guns youll shoot

lockedcj7
July 26, 2007, 04:19 PM
I've owned a BHP and it was one of the slickest, most comfortable guns I've ever shot. I'll also +1 on the Sig 210. You can't go wrong with either one.

David the Gnome
July 26, 2007, 04:23 PM
Interesting that you'd bring up the Glock.

The first gun I ever held was a Glock -- it belonged to my first firearms instructor. If I'm not mistaken, it was a G26 and I remember my first impression being, "This thing is tiny -- and it has a funny trigger." I was a totally green shooter and didn't know S from S but like most first impressions, it was a lasting one and I pretty much stayed away from Glocks.

Fast forward about three years and I saw a Glock that REALLY caught my eye. Although a lot of people consider it ugly, I thought (and continue to think) that the Glock 34 is one of the uniquely-cool looking firearms out there. Something about that l-o-n-g slide really appeals to me and I hunted for (and finally found) one to shoot. Therein lies the rub.

It simply doesn't fit my hand well.

I have often read where people compare shooting a Glock to "holding a 2x4." Absolutely no disrespect intended but I now know exactly what they mean. Even though I have very big hands, the feel was all wrong.

I have no dog in the fight regarding the Glock's quality, reliability, or suitability to task -- I certainly don't want to contribute to the flame wars as there have been way too many of those on TFL regarding Glocks.

I happen to believe that they're great guns -- but they aren't for me.
That's my exact feelings towards Glocks. I would love to own one but they simple don't feel good in my hand.

eltorrente
July 26, 2007, 06:57 PM
I would say the Sig p226. Find a CPO, they are pretty common.

It's an excellent pistol all around. Very well made, accurate, reliable, can be found in many different configurations, and it's a Sig.

Baba Louie
July 26, 2007, 08:38 PM
A fine nine... from the top my choices would be:

SIG P210
S&W 952
HK P7/M8
BHP Capitan
CZ75 Champion, Tactical Sport or Custom SP-01

and the throwaway... a DWM Luger Artillery

Any of those would be... nice, in their own way.

tbtrout
July 26, 2007, 08:48 PM
The first thing that came to mind is a Sig P210, next is a High Power.

EIGHTYDUECE
July 26, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hi-power, CZ-75B, Stoeger Cougar, or a Beretta M9 if you can find one.

Those are my suggestions even though I have much more expensive handguns in my arsenal.

RPSmith
July 26, 2007, 09:42 PM
I always thought CZ's were different and cool - not to mention accurate. I have tried, tried, tried to like Glocks, and I wish I did. They're like that totally hot girl you liked in high school but no matter what you did it just didn't work out. Maybe someday:rolleyes: In the meantime, there are plenty of others and they like me too:D RP