PDA

View Full Version : Well, if this isn't a fine howdyadoo... (Sig GSR)

FirstFreedom
July 19, 2007, 08:46 PM
Gun shop calls me - says we got in some Sig 556s (the rifle) - they knew I wanted one. So I go in with the intention of putting a 556 on layaway. But I couldn't plop down my money on it because my thumb couldn't reach the safety lever when in shooting position - it's farther forward than an AR (well it just reached the edge anyway - wasn't very easy to take off safe - I use a "wrap"/grip that puts my hand far to the right up toward the trigger). Plus I found the looseness/rattling of the collapsible stock a bit putoff-ish. And no iron sights. So couldn't justify the $1,299 plus tax.

Not to fear - I still did not leave until a Sig was on layaway. But it was a Sig GSR Revolution Compact (short grip, mid-length bbl, steel frame, iron sights, weird Sig slide, thin grips). It just felt great and had the usual great 1911 trigger. Since I sold my Kimber CDP compact a few years ago, I've been kicking myself. So it's in jail waiting for me to earn some money and get it out. :) I think the thin grips and all-steel construction pushed me over the edge. Oh, of course, in .45 ayyy ceee peee. :)

Questions:
-The MSH - can I buy one that comes already 'bobbed' - just the MSH itself at the bottom, not the frame, curving in sharply instead of squared off?
-Who could do a finish for me over the stainless steel which is black in color, relatively cheaply?

I know, I've read some bad on these, but I pays my money and I takes my chances - hopefully it won't be one of the lemons. :eek:

Wildalaska
July 19, 2007, 08:52 PM
If you put a bobbed MSH on the frame, you need to bob the frame too. We just finished one for someone that lurks around here.

Nitride is the best coating I have found for SS

WA

FirstFreedom
July 20, 2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks, WA; you da man! :) (though infuriating on political topics, but that's another issue. Note to self: quit reading anything by WA in political threads to keep BP down.).

Wildalaska
July 20, 2007, 05:55 PM
Of course I am :)

Oh and in yiddish, man is mensch:D:p

Wildnotetoselfstayoutofl&psoyoucanaleastpretendsomeoftheseguysarenormalAlaska

Hey First, I am in a self imposed exile from L&P so your BP is safe...and so is mine :)

redblair
July 20, 2007, 10:08 PM
Wild I now only head to L&P before working out. Sometime I don't even have to work out after reading a few threads!:)

B

KyJim
July 21, 2007, 09:17 PM
Congrats on the pistol-in-waiting. I have one and love it.