PDA

View Full Version : My 10/22 and question on ballistics.

ShootemDown
July 14, 2007, 12:44 AM
this is my stock so far: the thing that is holding up the red dot is the lower rail cover that I wont be using.

For the end of the barrel there is the flash brake thing seen on the lower right.

I still havent purchased the 10/22 yet, still waiting for the permit.

I do have a question about the ballistics of the .22LR coming out of the 10/22.

Is it as good as say a .32ACP coming out of a pistol ?

Will it be enough if I had a home invasion? say I wanted to arm a friend at the time of the invasion... me with the good stuff, and my friend with the mean looking .22 ?

http://thumbsnap.com/images/qxllvFpw.jpg

bcrash15
July 14, 2007, 01:16 AM
.22lr (rifle) seems to have slightly less of a punch when comparing muzzle energies. However, the .32 will also make a bigger wound channel which is probably more influential than the smallish energy advantage. Basically, the .22lr is less powerful in more ways than one, how significant that is I'm not sure.

Most likely, if you or your friend were to point a similar looking gun at someone in self defense, they would probably wet themselves. The cliched saying is that it's not like the other guy looks at your gun and says, "oh, that's a .22!" With something like that they will probably figure it's a full-blown assault rifle (or at least not immediately recognize it as a 10/22 if they are familiar with them). But if it came down to having to shoot to protect yourself, you would be at a disadvantage versus a traditional self-defense caliber.

edit: essentially with a .22 you'd be relying on the intimidation factor for the most part, but even if you have to shoot, it's better than nothing.

jbadams66
July 14, 2007, 01:31 AM
Your 22 would be better then nothing but dont count on your "mean" looking rifle to save your life just because of the way it looks. There is a good chance that if someone breaks into your house they will be armed. You pull out your mean looking 22 and take to much time turning on all of the gadgets all the while the bad guy has already pulled out his/her stock boring firearm and shot you.

Enjoy your rifle but dont get to dreaming that it is something it is not. Hopefully you will never have to deal with this situation.

Scorch
July 14, 2007, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure why people think a 22 won't stop someone. It's not a 45 or a 12 gauge, but a 22LR is adequate to easily kill a grown man. A semiauto 22 rifle is a formidable weapon, partly because you can empty it in a second and a half while keeping all your shots on target. It is up to the task as long as you are.

45Marlin carbine
July 14, 2007, 05:40 AM
get some good hi-end cartridges for that thing, try 'em for reliability and stop worrying. it will do well when you pump a few into a BG. CCI makes Mini-mag+V, Stingers and Velocitors. max hurt for low bucks.

Tom2
July 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
At least out of the rifle the 22 bullets will have enough speed to expand so I suppose it would wreak as much havoc as a 32 fmj round would. You would be able to empty it faster than a recoiling rifle and the muzzle blast will not shock you indoors, I don't suppose. But the 22 might prove fatal but not immediately incapacitating so you would have to expend all your ammo on a threat I would think. Not ideal but not entirely useless. Sort of a stopgap. If you are intending to spend alot of money on a SD gun a 22 is not the way to go, but if it is all you have lying around..... and practice is cheap and fun! Note: don't bother with ammo that is not 100% functional in your rifle. For plinking and practice no big deal, but if you think you are gonna need it for something important, alot of 22's are picky and some ammo might jam or misfire, an abolute no no for that purpose. Better clean it if kept for HD purposes. Lots of people buy a 10-22 and never clean it. So it is probably 95% reliable with some crud buildup in it. You must have 100% for real world. Some guns won't be 100% with Stingers, you might try the VElocitors which are more like normal ammo but hotter. I would go for open sights for closeup work. That scope deal is OK for hunting but up close the gun will shoot low if you can get him in the field of view. Better depend on accurate shot placement as peripheral hits or center of mass might not get it. More towards vital organs and the like to utilise the small low power round to your best advantage. Will have to take advantage of the accuracy of the rifle for that.

ShootemDown
July 14, 2007, 11:04 PM
how about penetration of this ? I know this is just my fun gun.

The "good stuff" I will use myself would be a Maverick 88 security filled with remington's low recoil slugs. I might even throw on a knoxx stock.

I also have, for my friend to use... glock 19 9mm, SW .38 J frame, and a P32 .32 7 shot.

I assume it is better for my friend to have the 10/22 vs the P32 ?

how about the .38 ? the 9mm ?

is a 125gr round going 900 FPS better than a 32gr round going 1600 FPS ?

jbadams66
July 14, 2007, 11:28 PM
The best one will be the one that is on hand. If you have a gun in your hand dont worry about getting a gun to your friend, focus on who is in your house. Just grab your maveric and take care of buisness.

Rmstn1580
July 14, 2007, 11:45 PM
22's are accurate and light. They'll make someone cry just the same as a higher caliber :) 10/22's are especially for urban combat (I know what you're getting at) because they're accurate and fast. I've got 2 of them and I can unload 10 rounds at 30 yards quite accurately.

joshua
July 15, 2007, 03:19 AM
It's still a rimfire. I've had most of my failure to fire with rimfires. Choose the quality ammunition, pay the $3 per 50 round premium instead of buying the bargain basement stuff that has a 5% failure to fire rate. The 22lr would be devastating in the hands of a capable shooter. josh

ShootemDown
July 15, 2007, 04:10 AM
I dont like the dirt cheap stuff myself, I was thinking of shooting Stingers for the "arm your friend who happens to be in your home during an invastion" situation.

I know it aint no powerhouse..

I think I myself would be armed with the maverick 88 main arm, and glock 19 fulla GoldDots in a shoulder holster with an extra mag, .38 on a belt holster. and a level 3 vest.

and give my friend the 10/22 main arm, and the P32 in a pocket holster. and that old army frag vest from the back in the days...

Dont you feel sorry for my friend already ? Heck, its better than nothing !

joshua
July 15, 2007, 09:09 AM
I think I myself would be armed with the maverick 88 main arm, and glock 19 fulla GoldDots in a shoulder holster with an extra mag, .38 on a belt holster. and a level 3 vest.

If you are expecting that kind of company, do you mind me asking where do you live and what kind of company do you keep? :D

I know, I know, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

josh

homefires
July 15, 2007, 11:03 AM
.22 is ok for home defence to me! I have s 10/22 with a Butler Creek folder hanging on the living room wall....

Jim

Maser
July 15, 2007, 11:14 AM
For anyone who's using their 10/22 as an HD gun, I advise you to take some spare time and sharpen the firing pin. I done that some time ago and haven't had any duds ever again. And that's also counting the cheap ammo.

I have no experience in being a burglar who's been shot, but I highly doubt a BG who's received 20 quick shots from a .22LR is going to want to continue the assault. ;)

ShootemDown
July 15, 2007, 02:18 PM
I'm not expecting anything, I leave my door open half the time for the fresh air. Its all for fun really... ( but you never know ! :eek: )

2rugers
July 15, 2007, 04:08 PM
What ...have ...you ...DONE ...to ...that...rifle?:eek:

Just kiddin' wif ya'.

Load that .22 up with some 40gr. solids that the gun shoots without any hangups and it will make an excellent hd rifle.

MacGille
July 15, 2007, 04:21 PM
According to the FBI statistics, more murders have been commited with .22s than with any other caliber. It is the gun of choice for hit men. That being said, it is a light round that penetrates soft skinned targest well and usually breaks up to provide several wound channels.

Still I would not use one for HD. Not enough knock down and instant kills are problematical. In my home I can't shoot farther than 15-20 feet. That is too close to allow an aggressor to live any longer than an instant. I use a 12 Ga. with #7 for the first two and #00 for the next three. If you think #7 is not heavy enough, shoot a watermelon with it at 10 feet. Bring a towel though. #7 won't go through walls very well and is not going to kill anyone in the next room. 00 buck is very convincing at anything up to 50-70 yards. But it won't go 200 yards down the street and kill my neighbors.

Remember that a HD gun is for killing, not for scaring. Don't depend on a hardened gangbanger to be impressed by any .22, ar any .45 for that matter.

When you shoot for Home Defense, shoot hard and fast and to Kill.:mad:

Rmstn1580
July 15, 2007, 04:39 PM
Since we're going on about how you would arm yourself, I would have...

- Smith and Wesson .38 snub-nose in ankle holster(Backup)
- Walther PPK/S with extra mags in a waist holster(Close combat)
- M44 Carbine on my back with a strap(For longer targets when I have time to aim)
- Ruger 10/22 with 3 extra magazines(For quick firing and also taking small game if I need food)

I need to buy body armor :( I hope it's still legal by the time I'm able to buy some.

joshua
July 16, 2007, 06:23 PM
Rmstn1580, why don't you go ahead and strap a Colt Steel Katana on your back for close quarter very personal battle. Don't forget to have a reserve blade such as a Tanto just in case you lose all the armament during the fight. josh