PDA

View Full Version : 1858 New Army Texas 44

Kenskip1
July 13, 2007, 11:14 PM
Being new to this BP scene I was wondering if someone could explain "aren't timed very well either". This has me puzzled.Great site. Much knowledge here, Ken

Joe Martin
August 1, 2007, 06:09 PM
Ken,

I own several caplock revolvers and I believe what is meant as, "aren't timed very well," is the rotation of the cylinder's chambers lining up in exact alignment (each chamber) with the breech end of the barrel each time the revolver is at full cock. Sometimes there is a very small variance which will shave lead on firing. However it usually is not enough to worry about. If you do want it corrected, seek out a qualified gunsmith. He or she will know what to do.

This phrase can also include the hammer striking to heavy on the nipple causing the nipple to mushroom eventually. This can be corrected with a few swipes of a file across the face (striking point of where the hammer meets the nipple) as a well time revolver's hammer should never strike the "naked" nipple, but rather only the cap - just enough to ignite the cap. It's not an easy task to achieve this, but again, a qualified gunsmith can do this for you.

Also, if the trigger is "stiff" to pull, there will be some work required there as well.

As a side note, I have never had any problems with any of the above, though they most likely do exist in some form or another in some or all of my revolvers. However, they are very functional and safe to shoot and I've not noticed enough variance in my revolver shooting to make a difference for the plinking I do.

If you are going to go into sanctioned competition with this revolver, then yes, you may want to have a gunsmith take a look at it. If for nothing else just to set your mind at ease.:)