PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Colt AR-15

DCougar
July 13, 2007, 09:40 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a decision. I was at my local gun shop last night browsing and came across a Colt AR-15. It's used, but in excellent condition. Previous owner hardly used it, just sat in his gun safe until he sold it. We took it apart at the shop and there didn't seem to be much use. There's nothing really special about it though. Has the 20" barrel, full stock and that's about it. Here's a link to what it looked like. They want $699.00 for it. Think it's worth it?

http://www.colt.com/mil/M16.asp

rgitzlaff
July 13, 2007, 09:45 AM
I would say that is a fine price for that rifle. I am assuming it is a chrome lined bore? Detachable carry handle like in the picture? does it come with the carry handle or does it just have a flat top.

BUSTER51
July 13, 2007, 10:30 AM
Try to haggle it down to $699.00 out the door (no one likes tax) but if he won't do it buy it any way . in tha AR comunity the Colt is the king of resale value. buy it and buy it now.:D

DCougar
July 13, 2007, 11:14 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure about the bore. Has the carry handle and I do believe it is removable. So you thinks it's a good deal?

RocketFoot
July 13, 2007, 11:23 AM
Not a bad price at all...but yes, make sure it is a chrome lined barrel!

DCougar
July 13, 2007, 11:42 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but why chrome lined? What's the importance?

RockyMtnTactical
July 13, 2007, 11:51 AM
There is no reason not to chrome line your chrome moly barrel if your number one concern is reliability. Some manufacturers charge $30 or so for chrome lining. Other manufacturers chrome line their barrels standard.

The 5.56/.223Rem cases are hardly tapered at all so the case makes contact with the chamber for much of the feeding and extracting. That is why it is so imperative that your chamber stays clear of corrosion, rust, and pitting. This was a lesson that was quickly learned by the military when it rushed the M-16 into service in Vietnam.

William Davis, Former Chief, Small Arms Branch recalled that, “The principle problem was a failure to chrome plate the chamber. That was the cause of the serious malfunctions that caused the controversy in Vietnam.”

Chrome will also make the chamber more “slick” than steel, which will enhance feeding and extracting.

Chrome lining increases the life of your barrel (almost double). It will ease cleaning and maintenance as well.

The one downside to chrome is an ever so slight decrease in accuracy. This difference in accuracy is practically unnoticeable and will not be missed in a defensive weapon. Trust me, the average shooter will never notice the difference in accuracy with a chrome lined bore.

As for the Colt, the price looks very good.

Ocraknife
July 13, 2007, 02:17 PM
Heck yeah that is a good price. Do you know the year of manufacture?

uzimon
July 13, 2007, 02:35 PM
i got a sporter match h-bar that has all but the bayo lug (solid bottom fh, fwd assist, 1/7 match bbl, full stock
i see these nib for a grand, approx
the guns that came from the factory with lug run a few hundred more, also nib

so if you got either of these for that $ thats great price:)

id get it if it was in front of me

BUSTER51
July 14, 2007, 01:28 PM
No matter what buy that Colt. As I remember the early problem with the M16 was the fault of that @sshole JFK and his buddy Robert McNamara who made changes in Mr Stoner's orignal design and than used surplus powder of the wrong type and not again what was speced .by the time I got there (NAM) in 72 all the problems with the M16 were fixed and I very rarely had any problems with it ,I kept it clean and lubed . :D the jungle rot on my feet was my bigest problem. :o so with a chrome lined barrel and chamber and the right powder Mr Stoner's black rifle has served us well for over 40 years ,don't you love a happy ending ?

DnPRK
July 14, 2007, 01:54 PM
$699 is an excellent price. It won't be for sale very long.

DCougar
July 30, 2007, 02:13 PM
You guys called that one. I went back to the shop a few days later. Someone bought that thing the same day I was in there. Oh well. Live and learn right? I'll keep my eye out.