PDA

View Full Version : Purchase M-1 carbine

Widder
July 3, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm considering getting a M-1 carbine. It'll be strictly for shooting. I am not interested in collecting. Now, the question is: Should I get a new AO/Kahr or a used USGI? My thinking is that the Kahr will have a brand-new barrel (and therefore be more accurate), whereas the USGI probably won't. Also some other parts of the USGI may be worn, and the gun may thus be less reliable than a factory-new gun. Add the cost of a nice-condition USGI, and the balance swings even more in the favor of the new gun; from a purely practical user standpoint. Of course, the new gun won't have the history or character of a WWII gun. Are parts fully interchangeable between a new Kahr and the old carbine, especially magazines?

oldbillthundercheif
July 3, 2007, 07:32 PM
If that "factory-new rifle" is an Auto-Ordinance (Kahr) you can be damn sure that a USGI surplus gun will be more reliable. AO makes guns that are only good for sitting on a shelf, looking nice. Surplus rifles had to shoot.

They will probably be properly heat-treated also (a serious problem for AO/Kahr). I can tell you from experience that rear sights stripping themselves loose from the soft steel during recoil and warped receivers are no fun and Kahr won't fix them. They will just send it back with all the same problems.

Avoid AO like the black death.

Doyle
July 3, 2007, 08:50 PM
Here is one for sale at what looks to be a good price:
http://www.forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=121974

Selfdfenz
July 3, 2007, 09:01 PM
CMP recently sold a some M1 carbs. There will be more to come. If you what a shooter that might be worth looking into.
S-

rellascout
July 3, 2007, 09:07 PM
Be patient and get a USGI.

They are much nicer than the new Kahr. I shoot my IBM all the time. They really fun to shoot. I love mine.

PS Doyle that M1 Carbine is a universal which is a commerical carbine not a USGI. They on one par with a used Kahr.

Ruger4570
July 3, 2007, 09:08 PM
I bought a USGI carbine in the 60's when I was a LEO through some program that I have forgotten. These were "lend lease" guns and so stamped. I think I paid $69.00 for it and I got a M1 rifle for $129.00. I sold the M1 for a fantastic profit, but kept the carbine. I bubba'd up mine with a Manlicher stock etc etc. I can generally get the first 2 shots into an inch @ 100 yards(with a scope) thereafter the group wanders vertically. I may have the exception as far as carbines are concerned but I love mine. The carbines are not KNOW for accuracy but mine sure does shoot well. Of course it is glass bedded and had the trigger worked on too. I know I "ruined" a good collector gun, but it is MY gun and I do what I want with my guns.

FS2K
July 4, 2007, 01:23 AM
Well, it is how it is. The Auto Ordinance Carbines are copies, and while they are better copies than the Universal brand M1 Carbines (as far as interchangability) they are still not as good as an original. If given a choice, I would buy a used original with the money you'd spend on a Kahr.

That said, if you want the next best thing to a "New" M1 Carbine, check out Fulton Armory. They produce re-manefactured Carbines using all brand new US parts. It is considerably more than a Kahr, but way worth it.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Oh, and by the way, if you do decide on getting a M1 Carbine, you won't be disappointed. The Ninja crowd may not like it because of it's looks, but you'd be hard pressed to find another rifle that is so well balanced and suited for everything up close and personal.

BlindFaith
July 4, 2007, 03:46 AM
Request to know the manufacturer of your Mannlicher stock
on the M1 Carbine. The closest thing I've been able to find
is a Boyds Thumbhole Sporter, but the wood is the length of
a regular issue stock. I saw a Thumbhole Mannlicher stocked
M1 Carbine at a gun show years ago, and it sure was a slick
looking unit. Now that I've got the gun ( Inland ), the time,
and the money, I'd like to pursue creating a copy.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

gak
July 4, 2007, 05:51 AM
What FS2K said. Kahr better than nothing (Universal); GI best bet. Fulton a great "bullet proof" way to go if you can afford them, especially if you don't have the knowledge or patience to wait out a decent original GI for your price.

saands
July 4, 2007, 05:19 PM
2nd on the CMP carbines ...

The next batch will be offered around September - better look into it now, though, 'cuz there won't be many in this round ("less than 3,200 available") and they had ~3,000 orders arrive by mail the first day for the last batch ... which were Inlands. Less than $600 gets an Underwood delivered in the next round.

Reliable and they definitely have history!

Saands

Ruger4570
July 4, 2007, 09:45 PM
Blind Faith. I wish I could remember who I got it from as it was 20 or 30 years ago or so. My memory tells me the place was in Texas. I honestly just don't remember or have any records of the purchase. I apologize to you, getting old is not for chickens. If I can remember any more I will re post the info for you.

SauerAttitude
July 6, 2007, 05:45 AM
I found this place; http://www.miltecharms.com/index.htm, last year. My dad left me a pair of M1's he acquired during WW2. One is a Singer, and one is a Winchester.
I like the M1, they are a lot of fun to shot. In years gone by I carried one in the truck for a field gun but you don't dare do that now, it wouldn't last one day.

DougW
July 7, 2007, 09:36 AM
Amazing! I did not know that Auto Ordnance was building rifles mainly to kill or maim their customers. Especially in this era of "lawsuits of the day"!

If you have specific info concerning the inferiority of the Auto Ordnance M1's, then now is a good time to post your evidence. The same with Al Gore. I want evidence that "global warming" is caused by humans breathing, not just because he said so.

Just becuse someone said it doesn't make it fact. And yes, I own an Auto ordnance M1 Carbine. It functions perfectly, and is very accurate. You don't have to like the AO M1, and that is fine. I also own 5 AR's, and none are Colt.:eek:

BUSTER51
July 7, 2007, 11:58 AM
If you can't get a USGI than don't bother. it is a great little rifle if you like a light carbine ,however a good USGI example ain't cheap for a plinker. if you wan't one get it now because the price will continue to go up every year. bought the (2 ) I own in 1973 for $165.00 each from an old guy in Chester New Jersey who was moveing to an apartment in NYC and said he didn't need them any more .they are both Rock-Ola and both pristeen with what apears to be the original finish and perfect wood . I bet they are worth the better part of $1000.00 each if I were ever to sell them . get a good USGI m-1 and you will be very happy you did a few years down the road .

Crosshair
July 7, 2007, 12:18 PM
I bought a parts kit and new production Springfield armory receiver from a member here. Still needs to be broken in, but I like it alot.

Manedwolf
July 7, 2007, 05:35 PM
Actually, they're only $400 through CMP. You already missed the first release, all the Inland ones. They sold out in about a week.

Next is later this year, likely a similar price.

Tim R
July 7, 2007, 06:43 PM
Like everyone else has said go with the CMP. I have not seen a CMP carbine other than pictures, but I do have a CMP M-1 Garand. (I wish I had bought more too, at least one of each) I have seen and held plenty of CMP Garands and know they are the best deal going PERIOD! I understand there was never any "Corrosive" USGI ball ammo made for the Carbines and the barrels are the better for it. When I go to Perry in Augest I'm looking real hard at getting a carbine if they don't have something else interesting.