PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide on Baby Eagle or XD40 or P99 or M40 or G23

octlibra7
June 27, 2007, 01:32 AM
Looking to get into the .40 cal club. I have been shooting 9mm for a while and thinking about giving the 40 S&W a shot. I have tried couple of the polymer frame pistols but cannot make up my mind on which to buy. Can anyone give me some suggestion? Here is my list of options, and I have shot all of them in their 9mm cal. siblings except for the Baby Eagle.

Glock 23
Walther P99
Springfied XD40
Steyr M40
Baby Eagle

I am fine with the price tag on all of them, but feels like the M40 is the most bang for the buck.

IanS
June 27, 2007, 01:34 AM
What kind of trigger are you most comfortable with? What are you used to shooting?

If I had to pick, I'm partial to the Glocks and Walthers.

octlibra7
June 27, 2007, 01:43 AM
I have a CZ 75 in 9mm, Sig P210 and a Glock 17 which I just bought not too long ago. I shot the Walther couple years ago, which is not bad. I have tried all of them in their 9mm version except for the Baby Eagle and all of them feels pretty nice.

It is a very tough decision for me, when you have to choose from these nice weapons. I am hoping to find an answer here. The main purpose for this gun will be use as a CCW and outdoor field protection because their size.

KMBRTAC45
June 27, 2007, 02:40 PM
I can't comment on the others, but I had a Baby Eagle(.40 cal) a few years ago(traded it for my Sig 228) and it was a super firearm. It was very accurate, reliable and comfortable to shoot. I really hated trading it and wish I still had it today.

Jason_G
June 27, 2007, 02:45 PM
Have you tried out the Beretta PX4?

Jason

octlibra7
June 27, 2007, 03:48 PM
The PX 4 does have a very interesting look. I will look into it. Man....my list is just getting bigger and bigger.

Officer's Match
June 27, 2007, 03:51 PM
P-06, new from CZ.

octlibra7
June 28, 2007, 11:38 PM
Do you have the compact poly baby eagle or the full size?

BabyEagle.40
June 29, 2007, 12:49 AM
Baby Eagle= great quality, great price.

Jason_G
June 29, 2007, 02:14 PM
The PX 4 does have a very interesting look. I will look into it. Man....my list is just getting bigger and bigger.
It's a real soft shooter, too. Accurate, comfy, and available in DA/SA with an external safety. Could be carried C&L or DA hot. Interchangeable backstraps, too. If I were going to buy a .40 tomorrow, it'd probably be the one. The others I would look hard at are Sigs and H&Ks IMO.

Jason

JAXX
June 29, 2007, 02:46 PM
How about the HK? Either the USP or p2000. Great top quality weapons IMO

CWG
June 29, 2007, 07:58 PM
I have the polymer semi-compact Baby Desert Eagle in .40SW.

Accurate.
Feels really, really good.
Eats all ammo...all and any of it!
Holds 12 rounds.

I've also shot the XD40 and liked it to. It depends on what you want out of the gun.

nutty ned
June 29, 2007, 08:07 PM
choose what fits you best. However the baby Eagle is a great gun accurate to 15 yds maybe farther. also heavy enough that recoil is tame.

Officer's Match
June 29, 2007, 08:09 PM
Even though I suggested the P-06, I just bought my first 40SW - the Glock 23. Numerous reasons: reliability, weight, aftermarket component availability, low bore axis, caliber flexibility (I plan to purchase both a 357Sig barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel), ability to do vast majority of repairs/upgrades without the need for a gunsmith.

wolverine350
June 29, 2007, 08:43 PM
XD 40 or Glock 23 would get my vote

octlibra7
June 30, 2007, 01:45 AM
I am thinking about getting a M40 due to the price at $360 which is very reasonable, so I dont have to worry if I take it to the outdoors and getting it scratch up. But I should not limit myself to just having one 40 cal. probably might go with the G23, P99 or the Compact Baby Eagle. Sometimes my selection might be limited due to where I live (People's Republic of California). Always have to check with DOJ to see if the pistol is legal or not. The maximum mag capacity that I can have here is 10 so it does not really matter if it would hold 12/13 rds or not.

octlibra7
June 30, 2007, 01:59 AM
Just found a P99 40 sw for $465 over at CDNN from one of the threads. It doesnt show the price on their website, but I'll probably going to call them on Monday to get a actual pricing.

octlibra7
June 30, 2007, 02:01 AM
Here is a quote from one of the threads from another site. what do you guys think

There are things about the glock that I am just not satsified with. So like many have others I bought a G19 however my frustrations with Glock could not be fixed by changing the barrel and slide length and grip length. My dissatisfaction with the Glock where more about the design.

The Walther P99 has all the strengths of the Glock and fixes all the problems with the glock. The P99 is what the glock hopes it will be when it grows up. It was designed by an ex-Glock designer

The Walther P99 is by far my favorite pistol.

For me the bonuses with the p99 are...

Great grip angle (same as Glock)
Can change the back straps 3 choices
Fingers groves that are subtle and actually fit my fingers
Easier to use mag release
Easier to use slide stop/ slide release
Easier sight removal no special tools required
Easier slide strip
Easier field strip
very nice trigger
Comes with a decocker
second strike capable

BabyEagle.40
June 30, 2007, 02:35 AM
I have the Walther, I like my Baby Eagle better. The Walther to me feels unbalanced. When I was buying the Walther I thought the 3 grip back strap option was awesome, after I got it home I really didn't think they made that much of a difference. I don't like the position of the decocker either. But the Walther is very, very reliable imo and seems well made. All of this being said if the Walther fits your needs better and it's what you really want, get it.

octlibra7
June 30, 2007, 02:54 AM
Baby Eagle 40 - do you have the compact baby eagle or the full size? as my previous thread "I shouldn't limit myself to just one gun" There are many excellent 40 cal. out there, since I cannot buy them all therefore I have to choose the ones that would fit me the best....

for starter I will get the P99 at $465 if I cannot get it at this price from CDNN I will get the M40 for $360. Once I get my first 40 cal then I will start worring my second 40 cal

CWG
June 30, 2007, 07:55 AM
Here's a pic of the polymer one I have. It's a small picture but it'll work.
http://gunshowonthenet.com/Gallery/albums/IMI/I_M_I_Baby_Eagle_Semi_Compact_Polymer.thumb.jpg
I have a small video of my cousin shooting it if you're interested.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Vf8ddHyAzw

BabyEagle.40
June 30, 2007, 01:12 PM
Mine is a full size BE 40. Paid $500.00+ tax.

Whirlwind06
June 30, 2007, 02:57 PM
I have the Baby Eagle 9mm compact, all steel.
Just traded in my XD V-10 for it. Taking it to the range tonight.
So far I love it though. Like the heft of it.
Also like that it has the same manual of arms as my Ruger P89.

Banta
July 1, 2007, 11:31 AM
I have a P99 and I love it. The one thing that I really notice when shooting my P99 is after shooting and holding other guns, when I pick up the P99 to shoot I am blown away by how comfortable and perfectly it fits my hand. You can feel this when you just pick the gun up but you get an even greater sense of this after holding/shooting other guns prior to shooting the P99. It really fits the hand like a glove.

BusGunner007
July 1, 2007, 11:49 AM
I'd get the semi-compact steel/alloy model with "Hogue & Trijicon" ...

This black steel model is nicknamed the "semi-compact" Baby Eagle.
It is the mid-size of the Baby Eagle models.
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=MR9413RS
http://www.magnumresearch.com/products/BE_SemiCompact.jpg

HOGUE grip:
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=BEP821
http://www.magnumresearch.com/products/BEP821.jpg

TRIJICON sights:
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=BEP320
http://www.magnumresearch.com/products/BEP320.jpg

13-rd. magazines:
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=MAG4013
http://www.magnumresearch.com/products/MAG910.jpg

:D

BabyEagle.40
July 1, 2007, 10:54 PM
Nice guns, nice guns.

Trapper L
July 1, 2007, 11:09 PM
I carry a Baby Eagle 40 SW in the steel semi-compact just like BusGunner posted with the Hogue grips. It has a far better trigger than my $1500. Kimber, more accurate than the Kimber, has never had a FTF nor any other malfuction. I run 800 rounds thru it today and it just gets better. But the gun for you will be the one that fits YOUR hand the best and feels good to you. Which ever you decide on, best of luck with it.

octlibra7
July 2, 2007, 02:43 AM
The Baby Eagle is for sure to be on top of my list, but at this point I am looking for a polymer gun

IdahoG36
July 2, 2007, 09:53 AM
With that list, you are going to get a lot of different opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. Go out, handle and shoot the ones you're interested in, and buy the one you like.

CWG
July 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
The Baby Eagle is for sure to be on top of my list, but at this point I am looking for a polymer gun

The baby eagle comes in polymer now!

Jason_G
July 2, 2007, 10:49 AM
The baby eagle comes in polymer now!
And I haven't heard good things. Maybe because everyone automatically compares them to the metal ones. I haven't shot a polymer one myself, so I can only tell you what I've heard and seen posted on various forums like these. It may be a great shooter, but I have heard alot more grumbles than praises.

For polymer, I'd put these on my MUST try list:

Beretta PX4
H&K USP
H&K USPc
H&K P2000
S&W M&P
Springfield XD
Glock

Jason

octlibra7
July 2, 2007, 12:16 PM
Just place an order for the P99 Desert Sand QA. At a price of $439 it should be a hard to beat deal.

Jason_G
July 2, 2007, 12:23 PM
We expect a full range report when it gets here ;). I hear alot of good things about the Walthers in the QA.

Jason

Oh yeah, and PICS! :D

BabyEagle.40
July 2, 2007, 01:17 PM
Congrats!!! Hope you love it:):)!

octlibra7
July 2, 2007, 02:28 PM
My order has just been rejected.....CDNN does not ship to California. They do not want to deal with the Cali rules.....Man they really do have one of the best prices. I guess I will just go with the M40.

Jason_G
July 2, 2007, 02:47 PM
Ooh, ouch. I didn't know you were in the People's Republik of Fruits and Nuts over there. Try these guys. They have a good rep:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/55

Jason

chunk
July 2, 2007, 03:03 PM
CHECK out a steyr m 40 a1.

octlibra7
July 2, 2007, 03:56 PM
thanks for the site, I'll check it out

spacemanspiff
July 2, 2007, 04:07 PM
I used to have a Steyr M40, and compared to the Baby Eagle with the steel frame, I liked the Baby Eagle better. It wasnt as snappy on the recoil, and I got way better groups with the BE than I ever did with that Steyr.

octlibra7
July 2, 2007, 04:09 PM
I've just check with the roster of handgun for sale in Cali. and the Baby Eagle with Polymer frame is not on the list.......:mad:

I think I have just found the best way to know which gun will fit me the best...Just look into the "California Gun Roster"...

BabyEagle.40
July 2, 2007, 05:45 PM
That's just wrong, I want you to know that this really makes me mad. They have no right to make some roster that you have to choose from when we're just talking about regular handguns. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? It really disappoints me. Doesn't the NRA deal with this kind of bs?

octlibra7
July 2, 2007, 07:23 PM
Appearing not....We have the right to bear arms but they are just slapping more laws and regulations on top of our rights....

CWG
July 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
And I haven't heard good things. Maybe because everyone automatically compares them to the metal ones. I haven't shot a polymer one myself, so I can only tell you what I've heard and seen posted on various forums like these. It may be a great shooter, but I have heard alot more grumbles than praises.

I'm responding to this with firsthand "no BS" experience with regards to the Baby Desert Eagle Semi-Compact Polymer pistol in .40SW...It's never had a FTF, never jammed, shoots every type of ammo on the market, shoots extremely accurate and feels like a dream in the hand. Anything else you want to know? If I lived near you I'd let you shoot mine. As far as firearms are concerned I'm hard to impress. My Glock 23's sight wiggled off, my XD40 wouldn't shoot the last round from either of the two magazines it came with and jammed every now and again. I don't abuse my firearms and clean them every time I shoot them. I love all of these weapons but I've had my problems with them. I haven't had any with my Eagle.

BabyEagle.40
July 5, 2007, 10:11 PM
There good guns, anyone that says there not doesn't know what they are talking about.

Jason_G
July 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
I'm responding to this with firsthand "no BS" experience with regards to the Baby Desert Eagle Semi-Compact Polymer pistol in .40SW...It's never had a FTF, never jammed, shoots every type of ammo on the market, shoots extremely accurate and feels like a dream in the hand. Anything else you want to know? If I lived near you I'd let you shoot mine. As far as firearms are concerned I'm hard to impress. My Glock 23's sight wiggled off, my XD40 wouldn't shoot the last round from either of the two magazines it came with and jammed every now and again. I don't abuse my firearms and clean them every time I shoot them. I love all of these weapons but I've had my problems with them. I haven't had any with my Eagle.
Glad to hear it. Have you shot the metal framed one? I was just wondering if you could give a comparison for me. I'd like to know what the difference is in the way the two feel.
Thanks.

Jason

CWG
July 7, 2007, 03:12 AM
Glad to hear it. Have you shot the metal framed one? I was just wondering if you could give a comparison for me. I'd like to know what the difference is in the way the two feel.
Thanks.

Jason

I've shot both the metal framed and polymer framed baby eagles. The metal framed eagle is a little slimmer but heavier. Their grips feel different. I personally like the polymer frame best because it's a little bulkier although lighter. It fits my hand better. As far as shooting I can't see a real difference other than the grip change. Different grips can make you shoot differently so someone who shot a metal frame baby eagle will have to shoot their new polymer one for a while to get use to it since they've developed a muscle memory to the original frame. Normally whenever you get a new firearm you need to familiarize yourself to it anyway. If you're use to shooting the metal frame I can see why you might not like the polymer frame b/c of this (although the shooter may not know that this is the reason and may decide not to like the gun b/c of it). The best thing to do is see if you can shoot all the guns that are in your "options" list and see which one works for you the best.