PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ruger M77 Short Action 22-250

hacker51
June 25, 2007, 10:54 PM
I have just gotten a ruger M77 short action that has been customized with a DOGTOWN 22-250 stainless steel heavy barrel and bench rest target stock with burris 6 x 18 fullfield 40mm on top, harris bipod, timiny trigger. Can anyone tell me anything about this barrel and who may have done this gun work. I traded a beretta 96G to it.

Majic
June 25, 2007, 11:10 PM
You traded into a custom gun and just now trying to figure out the quality of the work?

hacker51
June 25, 2007, 11:19 PM
Yes, I thought I would give it a try but was needing some information. My friend didn't give me any infomation but that his cousin did a lot target shooting.

Jseime
June 25, 2007, 11:34 PM
Sounds like a heck of a fine rifle to pick up for a handgun. Take er out and let us know how she shoots.

hacker51
June 25, 2007, 11:38 PM
can anyone tell me about how much one of these would of cost.

Al Norris
June 26, 2007, 06:29 AM
I'm thinking you would get a much better response, if this was posted over to "The Art of the Rifle."

Here we go.....

Martyn4802
June 26, 2007, 10:59 AM
Never heard of a DOGTOWN barrel. Are there any other identifying marks on the barrel?

Martyn

Scorch
June 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
OK, so the questions are-
*Old style Ruger 77 (tang safety) or new style (M70-style wing safety on the bolt body)?

* Who made the barrel? I know Midway used to sell Dogtown bullets, but that doesn't mean they sold that barrel.

* Who made the stock? There are some very fine stocks out there, but there is also a lot of garbage sold as "sniper" or "tactical" accessories. Sometimes people actually pay for the stock with a recoil pad inastalled, in which case there might be a stockmaker's name on the recoil pad.

* What series Burris scope? There are several different grades of scopes from all makers, including burris. This could be a $200 scope, or a $1000 scope. Need more info.

* Which Timney trigger? It could be a $30 Hunter trigger, a $70 Sportsman trigger, or one of the all-steel semi-customs they used to sell.

* How well does it shoot? This is what it's all about, no matter where the rifle came from. If the rifle didn't come with ammo and dies, try either Federal Premium or Black Hills ammo in 50 to 55 grains. While 45 gr Winchester will be faster, they typically do not give best accuracy.

Just in general, whenever you get a custom rig, it's nice to know where the components came from and what the quality is. Sometimes people try to put together a super-accurate custom rifle using bargain-basement parts. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

hacker51
June 26, 2007, 08:26 PM
The Ruger M77 that I have mentioned has the following.

Ruger M77 Short Action Tang Saftey
Timney Trigger
Hart Barrel Stainless Steel (marked on barrell side (DOGTOWN 22-250)
Bell & Carlson BR Target & Varmint Stock
Burris 6x18 Fullfield
Harris Bipod

I hope this will help with tell me how much this rifle woud of cost to build

Rifleman In Georgia
June 26, 2007, 08:45 PM
I would say close to $500.00 if not more!I would give the barrel a good cleaning before I shot it if it were me.I am just wondering why someone would spend that kind of money on a gun and then just stop shooting it?I guess it takes all kinds to make up a world!Would really be interested to know how it shot.

Martyn4802
June 26, 2007, 09:05 PM
The Hart Barrel will cost you $335 plus threading, chambering, and fitting.
I have a few rifles with Hart barrels.

Martyn

Scorch
June 27, 2007, 12:49 PM
OK, now we have more to go on.

Hart barrel (very good barrel, by the way), threaded, chambered and crowned is roughly $700.
Bell & Carlson stock is roughly $200
Burris Fullfield scope is roughly $450
Timney trigger is roughly $60
A Ruger action goes for about $250

So, to build the rifle, probably more than $1800

Market value? Maybe $750-1000?

How much did you give for it?