PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 II 7mm-08

jbirdhaffield
June 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
I have no idea about this rifle. I was stuck between three guns. I went to Walmart and the prices changed for the worse. 2 months ago the Remington 700 SPS was $418 and now it's $536. That is a rediculous increase which threw that out of the equation. Another was a Savage 16FCSS which also increased and is now $501. Another was the Tikka but was offered only in 25-06 caliber which wasn't so bad and there price actually dropped to $503. The last rifle that I looked at was the Ruger M77 II which had the looks in my opinion. Now I have a decision and it will be tomorrow morning (6/25/07). So I need all the opinions and advice I can get. You guys have really helped out and I thank you for your time and input. The hunt will be mostly whitetails, hog, and maybe an elk or two down the road. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Narrowed down to these-
Savage - 7mm/08 for $501
Tikka - 25/06 for $503
Ruger M77 II 7mm/08 for $502

Jimro
June 24, 2007, 07:52 PM
Ask to handle all three, buy the one that fits your body best.

Both the 7-08 and 25-06 are on the "light" side for elk, but both have taken their fair share of elk. Just remember to use tough heavy for caliber bullets. I like Barnes myself.

Jimro

taylorce1
June 24, 2007, 07:58 PM
I think the 7-08 would be a better choice for Elk. I'd take a premium 140 grain bullet over a premimum 120 grain bullet any day. That said both are leagal for elk in most areas. Here in CO all that is required for caliber is that it be a 6mm/243. If there is a elk hunt in the future then there might be a new rifle purchase as well?

+1 to buying the rifle that fits you the best.

dirty habit
June 25, 2007, 04:01 AM
Buy The Ruger no doubt. Had mine bedded and lightened trigger and it shoots beautifully, 1 inching at 100 meters consistently. Very comfortable rifle, shoulders and points well and crf cant be beat!

Yithian
June 25, 2007, 05:17 AM
Yea I hear ya on the Walmart price increases.

Remingtons jumped the most. The VS SF jumped the most. Up 250 bucks.

+1 on the fit for you idea.
If the one you like the looks of least, fits the best, it becomes a very hard choice indeed.

All of them are fine rifles but I'm not a big fan of all the plastics in the Tikka.
Every part of that 40 dollar clip, except the spring, is plastic in the Tikka.

jbirdhaffield
June 25, 2007, 01:49 PM
Thank you guys for all your input. I found here in my home town at Walmert a Remington 700 ADL synthetic on clearance for $328. I could not ask for a better price. I love the action and have already ordered an R3 recoil pad and a Timney trigger. Can't wait to shoot it after all is done. Thanks so much!