PDA

View Full Version : H&R Sportsman, but not #999?

allen820
June 7, 2007, 06:50 PM
I noticed a post from a few weeks back about an H&R Sportsman .22 cal., model 999. I have an old H&R Sportsman which belonged to my grand dad, but there is no indication on the gun itself that it is a "Model 999." It has the distinctive look of the more modern version, with "H&R 'SPORTSMAN' (yes, it has the quote marks), double action" on the left side of the barrel, and "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worchester, Mass, U.S.A." on the right. The serial number is 82087.

My grand dad has been gone for over 50 years, and he bought the gun used, so I know its been around a while. Can anyone help me with history on this model. Do I have a "pre-999" 999?

Thanks.

Allen

James K
June 7, 2007, 08:46 PM
If I am wrong, maybe someone will correct me, but I don't think H&R ever put the model number on their guns until well into the post-WWII era.

Jim

Jim Watson
June 7, 2007, 09:02 PM
The picture I have is not good enough to read the roll markings so I don't know if it was on the gun itself, but the Sportsman Double Action was the model 999 in 1950. I no longer have a prewar reference.

Re which, does anybody know where I can get a copy of the 1939 Stoegers reprint that I loaned out for estate work and never got back?