PDA

View Full Version : AR-10 loading issue...

Indrid Cold
June 7, 2007, 09:34 AM
So I took out my new AR-10 to put a few rounds through it yesterday. Started shooting, and before I knew it, I had a jam. Cleared the round, started firing again, and it jammed again. These jams were basically the round not loading all the way and getting caught halfway in the barrel and halfway in the magazine, or so it looked. Alright, so I clear these, thinking I'll give it another go or whatever and maybe it's just my luck. Keep firing, and then the problem changes slightly, where I will fire a round, the spent cartridge will eject, and the next one will halfway load, and I'll either have to eject the cartridge (unfired) or pull back the charging handle and release to properly chamber it so I can fire again (trigger pull isn't doing anything at this point).

What's going on here? I apologize if I didn't describe something as accurately as possible, so if you need any clarification, just ask. Is this a magazine issue? Rifle issue? Once the round was chambered it was fine, and granted, there were some times when you could fire off the entire clip without a jam, but the vast majority of the shots I fired were followed by pulling the charging handle to get the rifle going again.

USMCG_HMX1
June 7, 2007, 10:27 AM
Since it's an AR design, the first thing I would do is treat it like I did my Bushmaster A2 when it would fail to feed ....

Push in your magazine release button until the magazine catch is pushed clear of the other side of your lower receiver.

Spin the magazine catch clockwise 1 turn (tightening it).

Release the magazine release button, and go shooting.

Repeat steps if it continues.

I had the same thing happen with new and used mags on my Bushmaster A2, and this "technique" was taught to me while I was in the Marines to help fix this problem, and it fixes a great deal of the FTF issues in the AR design.

Kris

Indrid Cold
June 7, 2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks, I'll try that out :)

spctim11
June 7, 2007, 06:48 PM
You should try SPORTS, since its a 10 you might only get to do SPORS

Indrid Cold
June 7, 2007, 07:08 PM
...?

shooter_john
June 7, 2007, 10:29 PM
I had this EXACT problem with my DPMS LR308, it was all the mags fault!
The springs were incredibly tight, so I polished the feed lips with a Dremel to slicken them up a little and then left the mags loaded for a couple of days. PROBLEMS SOLVED JUST THAT EASILY. Not a hiccup since. Good luck!

Indrid Cold
June 8, 2007, 12:00 AM