PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10/110 FP selected by NY State Police?

Desert01
May 31, 2007, 12:56 PM
Just flipped through a gun rag at the store and saw a Savage Ad stating that the New York State Police selected the Savage for their precision rifle.

Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Remington is taking a beating. Even the M-24 may be on its way out of the Army as the M-110 Sniper rifle comes on board. Next, the NYPD will adopt who for their new shotgun? Military's going Mossberg....ok already is.

Jimro
May 31, 2007, 01:40 PM
Remington didn't even put a shotgun in the ring when the contract was put out. The M24A1 is a good system, 300 Win Mag instead of 308.

Altho they did make a sweet little entry gun based on the 870 that I got to play with once.

Jimro

44 AMP
May 31, 2007, 10:10 PM
That state/govt agencies do not generally get to choose the "best" guns, they get to buy the "cheapest" guns that meet the requirements.

Sometimes the requirements are so stringent that only the best quality guns (and therefore more expensive) will qualify, other times several different guns will qualify, and then it becomes a matter of price. Even a $1 difference in the bid may be the deciding factor.

Many companies deliberately low bid the unit cost in order to get the contract. The prestige of "official use" has a market value of it's own.

Desert01
June 26, 2007, 05:00 AM
I finaly picked up one of the mags, here is the Savage Tag Line:

In fact the Savage Law Enforcement Series is now the official rifle of the New York State Police Rapid Response Team.

Davis
June 26, 2007, 08:35 AM
You know, I don't even own a Savage anymore, but this whole "cheapest" thing has worn pretty thin. Other than finish (which is irrelevent in the 14/114 line), what is cheap? And come on, the barrel nut issue is as tired as Paris Hilton stories, because looks is hardly an issue (and while cheaper to assemble than figuring headspace with a shouldered barrel, it actually is more consistent at the same time).

And you can bet the New York Police won't be using the bottom-line plastic Savage stock, so going that route won't work either.

In other words, quantitatively, what makes the Savage action "cheap" and the Remington not?

Davis

Desert01
June 26, 2007, 09:25 AM
The add apairs to show the HS Precision Stock is what they are using. Other then the ad's I haven't seen anything else on the topic.

I like the Savage enough I am doing my first bolt gun build on a 110 action.

Davis
June 26, 2007, 02:42 PM
I changed mine from 30-06 to 270 and it worked like a charm. I don't currently have it because we had a baby and baby costs and I cut back.

But I have broken down both actions before. They are more the same then different in design and construction.

Davis

ELMOUSMC
June 26, 2007, 03:39 PM
I own a savage 10 fp in 223 rem and it is deadly out to about 400 yds. I would hope the NY state Police are not taking shots that far.Unless they are using the 308 model. In my humble opinion Remmington has no rifle that even comes close to savage for accuracy looks and finish are another story.But looks don"t kill the coyotes

CWG
June 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
Savage Model 110 Synthetic Stock in 30-06...

...awesome firearm. Super accurate, super sturdy.