PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 Stoppages?

ESI Agent
May 29, 2007, 12:48 AM
Went to the rage the other day and had at least 30 rounds that would not discharge.I looked at the round noticed a mark on all of them so I know the firing pin did hit them. I was using the Wal Mart value pack which is Whenchester. At the end of the day I took all the rounds that did not disscharge and put them in my Ruger P95 and fired them without further incident. Two weeks ago while at the range I had the same thing happan in regard to type of stoppages and same ammo. There was also another shooter using a Glock 22 haviing the same problem and using the same Wal Mart ammo. ????????

DeltaWhiskey
May 29, 2007, 11:58 AM
Sounds like you and your friend either got a batch of ammo with hard primers, or both of you need to replace your striker springs. I'm inclined to go with the hard primers, myself. My most recent experience with Winchester components is kind of mixed lately, with my last purchase of 9mm bullets from them. I have two cases (2000 projectiles) and while I haven't measured each one, the vast majority of the ones I have used are undersized, causing me no end of aggravation on the loading bench.

Sturmgewehre
May 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
I run nothing but Winchester Wal-Mart ammo through my handguns (can't beat the price!) and I've never had a primer so hard it failed to ignite. That's not to say a bad lot didn't make it out there where the primers are set too deeply or are excessively hard. I would check the striker assembly on your Glock(s). Do you know how to disassemble the slides on your Glocks? If you don't disassemble them and clean them properly every so often, carbon, grit, brass shavings, etc. can get in the striker channel and cause it to fail to fire. It's important you keep the striker clean.

Joe the Redneck
May 29, 2007, 07:45 PM
Is you Glock new or used? Is this a new problem or has this problem always existed? Have you done anything to the Glock, custom springs or anything?

kart racer
May 29, 2007, 09:39 PM
Delta,I'm with you..I got in 1000 rounds of 124 gr and 115 gr winchester bullets and they measure a little undersize.I had just used up my zero bullet supply.I think I'm gonna try precision delta next.

Bruxley
May 29, 2007, 10:38 PM
Read the sticky thread at the top of this forum. Address this very thing. BAD WINCHESTER LOT OF AMMO AKA "SQUIBS".

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238794

It's about 10mm by Winchester made good for him.....

JohnKSa
May 29, 2007, 11:17 PM
With your gun unloaded, rack the slide, pull and HOLD the trigger.

Now shake the gun. If you can't hear the clinking of the firing pin in the firing pin channel, it's gunked up. You'll need to strip the slide, clean out the channel and prevent oil from getting in there in the future.

SilverState
May 29, 2007, 11:22 PM
The Glock 17 is about the most reliable pistol on the face of the earth. And WWB, unless it is a "bad batch", should work without incident. My first instinct was your gun is broke, take it to a gunsmith or send it to Glock. But if all it is is some gunk in the channel, how about just spraying the gunk out of it with a can of brake clean and see if the problem is solved?

JohnKSa
May 29, 2007, 11:29 PM
Probably worth trying that first. The problem is that there's no good way for that stuff to get out of there.

I clean my Beretta 92FS slide that way--I've never stripped the slide on one. But it has a firing pin hole in the back of the slide. I spray GunScrubber in the firing pin hole in the breechface (wear safety glasses!!!!) and keep doing so until the stuff running out around the firing pin hole in the back of the slide is clear of debris.