PDA

View Full Version : Jack Childress of Bloomington, IN

257roberts
May 27, 2007, 10:17 PM
Has anyone ever heard of this gunsmith. I have one of his rifles and was wondering if he was well known enough for his name to add value to this gun. I do know that he passed away about 1995 or so. He turned out many rifles through the years, mine is a commercial FN mauser in a 222 variation. Thanks for any information. [email protected]

Scott Conklin
May 28, 2007, 06:58 PM
He was, IIRC, a buddy of Warren Trinkle who owned Warren's Guns in Switz City. Around the time Childress passed Warren's was one of the three largest inventory shops in Indiana according to F-Troop. Warren sold out shortly after and proceeded to drink himself to death. I think there was a connection there. All of Warren's collection, including a lot of Childress' guns, "disappeared" immediately after Warren died(during the funeral, actually). His son was a buddy of mine and told me about the missing firearms. He was killed a couple years later when a truck pulled out in front of the Harley he was riding.

I'll see what I can dig up and if I even have the right name and timeline(I'm pretty sure it was Childress and that he died first and I know for a fact they all lived in/around Bloomington).

KLQ
February 4, 2011, 12:55 AM
I know this is a late reply but Jack Childress was my grandfather he was well known enough to have been mentioned many years back in Outdoor magazine if you have anymore questions feel free to ask im not sure if his name would add to the value i can ask my father and any other questions you may have about the rifle on to him.

Faron1962
August 15, 2013, 03:12 PM
I have a 30-06 with Jack Childress Custom Gun Smit Serial number U3707 stamped on it. Does anyone know the value of this rifle?

Faron