PDA

View Full Version : .40 M&P vs HK2000

Lunker
May 5, 2007, 10:11 AM
I am looking for a lefty friendly .40 pistol. I have narrowed it down to the Smith&Wesson M&P and the HK2000. They are both the most ambidextrous guns I have come across so far. I love the feel of both, although I have only fired the M&P. Te HK is a bit pricier. Let me know your pick, and why you prefer one over the other. Thanks!

hollowpointt
May 5, 2007, 12:02 PM
I have the m&p9,40, and just put the 45 on layaway. I just like the way they feel in my had. Both have not failed to fire:) .

Kermit
May 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
The P2000 would be my choice. IMO, HK makes the most lefty friendly pistols on the market

Officer's Match
May 5, 2007, 01:34 PM
I voted M&P based pretty much on $ value.

veeref
May 5, 2007, 01:36 PM
I had the opportunity to demo an S&W M&P .40 the other day when Smith & Wesson had a rep at my local gun shop and shooting range. I was there to practice with my H&K P2000 .40 with my brother.

I shot quite a few rounds through the M&P .40 and here's my opinions about it:

- the grip feels narrower, but more 'bulgy' with the interchangeable backstrap. I had the small one installed by the rep when I shot it. The P200 feels a lot better in my hand, but thats completely personal.

- the trigger pull is short and crisp, and I shot decent groups at 15-20 feet (~ 3" in steady, but neither rapid now slow fire)

- the upward snap of the gun is upwardly more pronounced in the M&P than the H&K P2000 I have, but follow-up shots are controllable in the M&P.

- the rep showed me how to takedown the gun, which seems fairly easy, but it appeared he needed to insert a 'key' or rod of some sorts to take it down. The P2000 is a piece of cake, you pull the slide back about an inch with one hand and push the pin out the left side. A LOT simpler and no funky manipulating or tools required.

- the M&P was only like $459-$469. Significantly LESS than the H&K. For the price, I think it was a good deal. If I wasn't married, I probably would have bought it to add to my P2000.

When I purchased my P2000 awhile back, the M&P was the other pistol I was comparing it to and almost purchased. You can't go wrong with either, but for shooting left handed, the P2000 has my vote, its completely ambidextrous minus the takedown pin, but that is a non-factor in my opinion.

Regards,
~V

Officer's Match
May 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
Great and relevant post, V.

Jack Bauer
May 5, 2007, 03:44 PM
I had a P2000 a year or so ago and sold it. It just didn't fit me as well as the M&P. I have three M&P's now (.40 and 9 full size and 9c) and will be adding the .45 when finances allow. Of course, if I had a job where the employer issued me a P2000, I certainly would not complain. H&K makes a fine weapon, and I wouldn't object to any of theirs.