PDA

View Full Version : Beretta's/Stoeger Cougar 8000

gaowlpoop
May 1, 2007, 03:39 PM
I have been trying to fine the Beretta/Stoeger Cougar 8000 and have not had any luck. It seems that they are in short supply. In reading about the weapon, I think it is worth a look, and it is always nice to hold a weapon in your hand and see how it feels.

Has any ones local gun store gotten these in yet?

theberettaman
May 1, 2007, 04:38 PM
Mine had some.They didn't say long though. :)

69 Impala
May 1, 2007, 05:16 PM
I haven't seen the Cougar except for the write up in Guns and Ammo recently, but I was so fascinated by the rotating barrel lock that I bought Beretta's PX4 Storm recently.

Gixerman1000
May 1, 2007, 07:57 PM
I own a Beretta 8000F INOX and it's a great pistol, it's 100% reliable and very accurate. I held a few Stoeger Cougar's and they seem to be just well made for the most part.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Gixerman1000/Handguns/Beretta8000FINOX.jpg

LFOD1776
May 1, 2007, 08:18 PM
I was so impressed by a photo I saw of Gixerman's Cougar that I tracked down an Inox (stainless) Beretta 8040 online, noticed that it was actually just a few blocks from my house, and bought it this afternoon! Gotta love the Internet!

I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet other than disassemble and reassemble it. It's almost exactly the same size as my Sig P228. Fit and finish are outstanding, of course, and the rotating barrel mechanism makes it an interesting addition to my little arsenal.

The only problem is... I got to talking with the guy selling it and it turns out he's a class 3 dealer. Well, my old class 3 dealer was a 90 minute drive away and now I've got one right down the street?! Oh no!! What's going to stop me now?!

(Must breathe slowly! Must stop hyperventalating!)

Officer's Match
May 1, 2007, 09:02 PM
Very good looking pistol, gixerman.

TexasCop
May 1, 2007, 11:17 PM
I own two 8045's, the Cougar in 45ACP, I'm also interested in getting my hands on one of the new Stoeger Cougars, probably in 40 when it hits the market.

Sgt.Fathead
May 1, 2007, 11:32 PM
I bought my wife a Stoeger Cougar in .40 from the Cabela's store in Hamburg, PA about a month ago. They had two left after I got hers, mayb e they still do. I was always fond of the Beretta Cougar and was pleased when Stoeger brought them back. The fit, finish and firing are great! Get one and enjoy!

fattsgalore
May 2, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'm in the same boat, me and my sister have been looking for one since the G&A.
I'd take it in either 40 or 9. I'd prefer it in 9mm though. I've seen them have a slight price hike from $350 to $400 but I still think its worth it. If I see one I'm gonna cop it. If I don't have the loot I'll put it on layaway just to get it while the gettings good.

amagoh
May 2, 2007, 10:23 PM
I love my 8045. You might find one at impact guns.

CarbineCaleb
May 2, 2007, 10:58 PM
Wow, so this is the Beretta Cougar, made on Beretta manufacturing equipment, but now in Turkey at cut rate prices... wish they sold 'em in MA!

Here is a little writeup of them... he seems to compare them favorably to the 1911...
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/steoger8k_121106/

MD_Willington
May 3, 2007, 11:08 AM
The wife and I checked one out locally... we liked it.

LFOD1776
May 3, 2007, 02:09 PM
It's such a nice day, I played hooky during lunch time and took my Beretta 8040 to the range. I put 100 rounds through it. Very nice; I feel like I could have shot it all day.

It's basically the same size and weight as my Sig P228, with very similar felt recoil and good accuracy. Except the 40S&W is more powerful (and expensive) than 9mm. I recommend it.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24142&d=1178115961

kymasabe
May 3, 2007, 04:35 PM
I own the SToeger Cougar in 9mm and .40cal...great guns, great value. Buy them now while you can affordably.

Groundhog
May 3, 2007, 09:19 PM
Lend me $350? :rolleyes:

45reloader
May 4, 2007, 05:12 AM
This post is 2 weeks too late.

CDNN just had them for sale in the last catalog $299.00

kymasabe
May 4, 2007, 02:16 PM
CDNN has also been out of stock for months. They were expecting another shipment in April and when I called they said there had been a change and they weren't getting any more. I got my last one from Gander Mountain in Florida, they had to have it shipped in from another store and then shipped to my FFL. 9mm was tough to find.

PointOneSeven
May 4, 2007, 06:14 PM
Sportsman's Warehouse, $325.

Kind of a boring black brick, but accurate and reliable otherwise. No complaints here. The INOX Berettas are the way to go if you have the cash and can find one.

sgarcia315
May 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
I ordered mine in February and am still waiting!!! Once this finally comes in, I really don't think I'm going to keep it after a couple of trips to the range. I think I'm going to go with either a Kimber TLE/RL, Taurus PT1911, or the S&W 1911PD? Anyone interested in working a deal?

LFOD1776
May 6, 2007, 01:52 PM
sgarcia -- You may want to wait until you've tried shooting it before you trade it. I suspect you're not going to want to let it go.

oceanica
November 13, 2008, 11:47 AM
I have one that I am selling, complete with box and all paperwork, with tritium night sites ( a little weak ), in excellent condition. I have lots of images. Please email me if anyone is interested. Will ship to FFL only!.
Mark

dawgfvr
November 13, 2008, 01:40 PM
I found my Stoeger Cougar last year ($ 329) at a local gun store. Excellent weapon for that kind of money. Let's see, I purchased some wood grips and ordered the original stainless steel guide rod from Beretta...which came with the original Beretta Cougar. I just wish the grip was a tad bit smaller for CCW.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DawgFvr/Stoeger/StoegerCougar1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DawgFvr/Stoeger/StoegerCougar2.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DawgFvr/Stoeger/StoegerCourgar3.jpg

WC145
November 13, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have a MiniCougar that I carry for work and I really like it. The short grip makes it much easier to conceal than the full size and Beretta still has the sleeves for the full size mags to fill the gap so I carry it with the shorty mag in it but all my spares are full size.

dawgfvr-
Who did the work on your Ruger? That is really sharp. What model is it?

dawgfvr
November 13, 2008, 02:47 PM
WC145: The Ruger started out as a GP100...only part stock on it now is the front sight post...hee, hee. Marc at Gemini Customs was the genius behind this.

As for the Stoeger Cougar. For the price...I received excellent value. Personally, I would prefer DAO (I am a revovler kind of guy) a little trigger work, different/night sights, a shorter grip for CCW. I believe the original Cougar was crafted with the Military (high capacity) (amidex safety) and the civillian market at the same time. That was their mistake. It really is a gem though.

WC145
November 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
As for the Stoeger Cougar. For the price...I received excellent value. Personally, I would prefer DAO (I am a revovler kind of guy) a little trigger work, different/night sights, a shorter grip for CCW. I believe the original Cougar was crafted with the Military (high capacity) (amidex safety) and the civillian market at the same time. That was their mistake. It really is a gem though.

I think that Beretta/Stoeger would do well to start making the Mini Cougar again. As popular as the full size one is I'm sure it would fly off the shelves. My Mini uses a 10rd shorty mag and it really makes a difference for ease of concealment. Here's a picture of one showing a spare full size mag with the sleeve on the side:
http://www.gunsworld.com/beretta/graphs/8000-8040mini1.jpg

Ozzieman
November 13, 2008, 07:45 PM
I have a Beretta 8000, I ordered it when they first came out some years ago (don’t remember when). Traded a 92 for it.
My biggest complaint was the Clinton magazines which only carried 10 rounds. Several years ago I purchased the Beretta Storm Carbine that uses the same mag’s and I also purchased 10 of the high cap mags since they came out.
It really stunk that the cougar only held 10 and at gun shows there were thousands of hi cap 92 mags that won’t work in the gun.
Overall I really like the gun and find it fits my hand very well and second rounds come very fast and accurately.
I have shot the heck out of the gun and have never had a single failure of any kind. I have tried mixing light reloads and +P’s in the same mag trying to get the gun to fail, it’s been flawless.
IF I ever see a 45 for sale at a good price, it will go home with me.

ShootingNut
November 13, 2008, 07:56 PM
My Stoeger Cougar 8000 holds 15 rounds of 9mm. Are you in CA with a 10 rd restriction?
SN

BusGunner007
November 14, 2008, 01:56 AM
Oh, I shouldn'ta looked in here...:eek:
:D

Ozzieman
November 14, 2008, 06:15 AM
That was strange, I added a thread and it never showed up, so here goes again.
I live in Indiana and when they first came out all they offered was the 10 round mag. I think it was in the late 90’s when they came out and when I picked mine up. I like this gun so much more than I did the 92. The balance is much better and for an alloy frame 9mm it will drive tacks.

Troy26
November 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
Does the cougar come in any other configuration that DAO? That's all I've run across lately.

Homerboy
November 14, 2008, 04:12 PM
The Cougar came out just as the Clinton AWB was put in effect. Only cops who carried the Cougar got the 15 round mags, and civilians were stuck with the 10 round mags. When the ban ended, the Cougar wasn't such a hot seller, so 15 round mags were hard to come by. The Stoeger revived interest in them (I have one, and am a Beretta fanatic. The Stoger feels every bit like the Beretta Cougar, and mine cost $229, used but LNIB), so mags are available again. The Beretta USA website has 15 round Cougar mags for $19.99 brand new. I will never sell either one of my 92's, but the Cougar is a solid gun that won't be sold anytime soon (especially since Obama won and I believe another AWB is on the way).

Can't go wrong with a Cougar, Beretta OR Stoeger.

ShootingNut
November 14, 2008, 06:25 PM
Second that one Homer!:D

daferg2
November 14, 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the $20 mags Homerboy. I just ordered two.

As far as the Stoeger goes, I like my 9mm version very VERY much, especially when the low cost is figured in. I used to owned a .40 cal version Beretta Cougar and wish I had never sold it. I paid WAY more for it. The Stoeger seems every bit as nice, accurate, and reliable. It is like finding something valuable that no one else seems to know about. I will buy another if they release it in .45 cal.

ShootingNut
November 15, 2008, 07:17 AM
How about it's cousin?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42634
Nice well made handgun.;)
SN

Homerboy
November 15, 2008, 04:34 PM
I had a 9MM PX4 and it was a nice gun, but I sold it to buy ANOTHER 92! I just can't warm up to polymer. The Cougar feels nicer to me. It's smaller, too, so better for concealed carry (although the PX is lighter)

daferg2
November 15, 2008, 07:14 PM
How about it's cousin?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/42634
Nice well made handgun.

I bought the PX4 in .40cal before the .45 was available, and yes, they are well made handguns. I'll keep this one. Besides, I think the .45 is too close to my .40 to justify buying it. But, a Cougar in .45 would be too hard to resist and would go well with my 9mm version.

bbqbob51
November 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
Yup, that deal on 15 capacity 9mm mags on the Beretta web site is a great deal. I bought 3 myself. So far my Cougar has performed flawlessly with over 200 rounds through it. I really how this pistol feels in my hand.

harly69g
June 11, 2011, 05:49 PM
Picking me one up used in a few weeks.
Has hardly had anything shot through it.
Nephew needing the money for a camera for his college class.
Reading alot of good on these.

Already own a S&W M&P 40 & a Taurus 85 UL 38 sp.

9mm
June 11, 2011, 06:00 PM
It's funny, thread is from 2007, you never see the OP coming back to say hey thanks I got what I want.

Dana C
June 12, 2011, 04:24 PM
I have the Stoeger. It has never failed to feed, fire or let me down in any way. They are a great value and a great gun...but like you said a little hard to find. I bought mine in a pawn shop / gun store.
They are very popular in Europe as police side arms. With the rotary bolt they are VERY reliable. They are accurate enough for police or self defense work which is what they were designed for. They are not bulls eye pistols.
However with a little practice, they are great plinkers.

bbqbob51
June 12, 2011, 04:36 PM
Cabelas always seem to have then and are frequently on sale.

labhound
June 12, 2011, 10:24 PM
Bought my Stoeger Cougar 8000 F from Bass Pro Shops and my 8045 was ordered through a LGS. Really not hard to find at all and an excellent gun. Approx. 1000 rds through each of mine with no failure of any type.

tsillik
June 13, 2011, 12:52 PM
bought mine at Bass Pro, with the opening of a credit card got 10% off of 445 Put right at 400 dollars, then 30 days later paid the card in full. terry

harly69g
June 26, 2011, 11:28 AM
What is the difference between the 8000 & the 8000F?
Mine is the 8000.

Kaiser T
June 26, 2011, 10:08 PM
Here is the Cougar 9mm family vis-a-vis its Beretta and Stoeger lineages, with prominent differences in brackets. Boldface indicates model type etched on the pistol slide/frame (muzzle facing right):

Beretta Cougar Mod 8000 = No Stoeger counterpart (non-beveled slide, 15 rounds, H-5.5", W-32 oz)

Beretta Cougar L 8000 Type P = Stoeger Cougar 8000 (beveled slide, 15 rounds, H-5.5", W-30 oz)

Beretta Cougar L 8000 = Stoeger Cougar 8000 Compact (beveled slide, 13 rounds, H-5.0", W-28 oz)

Beretta Mini Cougar Mod 8000 = No Stoeger counterpart (non-beveled slide, 10 rounds, H-4.5", W-27.5 oz)

Beretta and Stoeger Cougars also have a suffix F, G, D after '8000' to indicate manual safety, decocker and double action models respectively. Stoeger's latest accessory rail version in 9mm denoted by the suffix FT has just been released, but is not yet shown on the Stoeger website.

DougU
June 27, 2011, 06:30 PM
The OP was in 2007. Let this one die!

Stressfire
June 27, 2011, 08:20 PM
Just curious, why never any love for the zombie threads when someone goes to the trouble to search and have at least half of their questions answered? Not flaming, just curious.

Anyways, have not run across a cougar yet at either lgs or gun show. How are they on size? Am planning to go for ccw within next fer weeks and am looking at the cougar, px4, or kimber solo for ccw weapon. The solo I know is small, but again have not run acros one to look at. I have fairly large hands, such that a beretta 92 fits comfortably so not necessarily looking at a "3 finger" gun. Would a cougar foot the bill? Also, price is somewhat an object, but I would prefer dependable over cheap, thus the interest in another beretta.

Wishoot
June 27, 2011, 08:32 PM
Just curious, why never any love for the zombie threads when someone goes to the trouble to search and have at least half of their questions answered? Not flaming, just curious.

+1

If this were your typical Glock or Taurus thread, I would say "Let it die". But this thread is about a gun we don't hear a whole lot about and I, for one, would love to hear more about it.

harly69g
June 29, 2011, 06:11 PM
Mine is the 8000 no other letters.
Very accurate & great on recoil.
I picked mine up from my nephew & he bought it new a year or 2 ago.
They are well worth the price.
Besides 9mm ammo is cheaper to shoot than my 38 or 40 cal.