PDA

View Full Version : CZ 85B - reliable enough?

Irfan
April 23, 2007, 01:30 PM
I have a CZ 85B so I'd like to ask you guys would you fell comfortable with this pistol in SHTF situation? Do you think Glock or SIG is much more dependable weapon? :confused:

Hard Ball
April 23, 2007, 01:37 PM
CZs are very reliable pistols as are SIGs. I have problems with Glocks and would not depend on one.

seed
April 23, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry I can't comment on the 85, but I do have a P01. Absolutely reliable and the most comfortable grip of any of my guns.

I also have Glocks and Sigs. Very reliable, but I would not trust any of them without extensive testing. At the risk of sounding cliche, break in your gun and then test it out with lots of rounds of your preferred self-defense ammo. When it functions 100% with it, you will feel so confident that it will be a big weight off of your shoulders and easily worth the cost of the ammo. Remember to test it out limp-wristing, single-handed and weak-sided as well because self-defense situations can sometimes offer less than ideal shooting situations. Jamming under any circumstances is not acceptable to me for a self-defense gun.

Congrats on the 85. I think you're about to be flooded by a lot of positive comments.

plom
April 23, 2007, 02:18 PM
CZ pistols are totaly reliable guns as long as you use good magazines and the fact is that they are much less ammo sensitive than glocks.
A glock pistol is 100% reliable as long as you feed it with manufactured quality ammo, a CZ will eat anything you shoot trough it.

atblis
April 23, 2007, 02:27 PM
I shoot CZs almost exclusively, and out of 7 of them only one has given me any trouble (a 40P). However, it only did that for the first couple hundred rounds and has been fine since (failure to feed). None of them are ammo sensitive).

I have however heard of people having issues. It appears that CZ puts out an occasional lemon. That is not common. Usually an ejection issue. CZ-USA is usually pretty good about adressing any such issues.
Use only factory mags (that applies to most guns).

Is SIG or Glock much more dependable. Nope.

Servo77
April 23, 2007, 02:30 PM
Use only factory mags (that applies to most guns).

Or mec-gar cz-75 mags because they are actually oem (according to CZ)

dirksterg30
April 23, 2007, 05:39 PM
I don't have a CZ-85, but my wife & I trust our lives to a CZ P-01 and a PCR. They have proven to be completely reliable. The CZ will be as good as a SIG or a Glock. Of course, as seed said, you should still test ANY gun out with your chosen carry ammo to ensure that the ammo works flawlessly with the chosen gun & mags, no matter what its reputation for reliability is.

HorseSoldier
April 23, 2007, 06:43 PM
I've found my CZs (P-01, SP-01, 97B) to be extremely reliable and solid performers. I'd +1 the suggestion to get some rounds put through you specific pistol and make sure it runs well, but I'd be surprised if you have an problems.

Sriracha
April 23, 2007, 07:14 PM
My 85B does not do well with Blazer aluminum cased ammunition -- it ejects right into my face. Other than that, the gun has been very reliable.

Be sure to check the sights before buying. The white dots on mine are grossly misaligned from the rest of the sights -- I had to partially black them out with a permanent marker because they made the sight picture confusing.

(Edit: never mind; I see you already own the pistol...)

- Sriracha

atblis
April 23, 2007, 08:09 PM
Or mec-gar cz-75 mags because they are actually oem (according to CZ)
I think they either do or were.

hj28rules
April 23, 2007, 08:22 PM
I have a CZ75B and a CZ83. They are rugged, accurate, totally dependable firearms and will eat any ammunition you want to feed it. The triggers of both weapons were 'gritty', when new. Now that each has had 300-500 rounds through them they are quites smooth.

LM...Ft.Worth, Tx.
SFC US Army (ret. 1996)

chris in va
April 23, 2007, 11:06 PM
I've had some bad issues with my BD and various magazines. Had to find another carry gun due to the problems.

eerw
April 23, 2007, 11:19 PM
CZs are reliable as any other quality handgun out there..

I have had several and all have been great..I had one SP01 that had some minor tuning issues..but I solved that in the first 500 rounds.

Right now I have a worked over SP01 that is fantastic..and I have a pretty stock 85combat that so far has be 100% reliable.

All I have are CZ factory mags..and I use good reloads or factory ammo..

clown714
April 24, 2007, 05:39 AM
i've had my cz85 for a coupla years.

still waiting on the first hiccup.

clown

shamus005
April 24, 2007, 06:55 AM
The 85 is just a cz-75 with ambidextrous controls. it is a VERY reliable pistol.

I direct you here:

CZ Forum (http://p201.ezboard.com/bczechpistols82792)

Stephen Camp's review of the cz-75 (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ75.htm)

Mark54g
April 24, 2007, 09:42 PM
I have a 75 stainless. I have also experienced issues with blazer aluminum (but it also feels almost stickier on the outer case walls than brass). The only other ammo I have had issues with were Fiocchi 115gr (double feeds) and UMC 115gr (double feeds). I have shot MANY brands of ammo, thousands of them, without issue.

Magtech, Federal, CCI Blazer Brass, Independence, CCI/Speer Gold Dots, etc without a single failure.

Different guns have different tolerances. I still use UMC for range fodder, but after 150rds of gold dots, with nothing but punched holes, roughly where my bad aim puts them, I trust this gun as long as it has been cared for and kept in good running condition.

mthalo
April 25, 2007, 08:34 PM
I have a 75 that, when brand new, was giving the following problems
1) Slide locking open on a full mag
2) Occasional failure to eject on the last round.

I replaced the recoil (went from 14 to 16lb), slide stop, and extractor springs, and it's been 100% reliable since (about 1000 rounds)

I have heard rumors about them coming from the factory with weak springs. Don't know if that's a rumor, but my experience says it's true.