PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911

witness10mm5
April 22, 2007, 03:21 PM
I recently inherited a Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911, not Kahr. My Uncle past away it came my way. It is is wonderful condition. But I noticed as I carried it that while in the holster if you barely just touch the gun to your side the mag release lets go of mag. Not trying to be stupid. Would you replace magazine catch? Request your help. Please. Should it be polished. Replacing recoil with Wolf 18.5 spring. Slide stop and guide rod all with Chip Mccormick parts. Hopefully ok. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Shalom

Witness10mm5
U S Army Retired

44 AMP
April 22, 2007, 04:05 PM
Try replacing the magazine first. Then if it does it with other magazines. the mag catch spring. Then if the problem persists, you might need to replace the magazine catch.

But the first step is to examine the magazine. Compare it to others. If the hole in the mag body where the catch locks in is worn, or oversize, that is your problem. Replacing the magazine will cure it. A worn/defective magazine is the most likely cause of your trouble, and is always the first thing to check whenever you have any problem with feeding, slide not locking back, or in your case, mag release too easily.

If the catch has little or no spring tension, replacing the spring might be called for, but before you do, check the catch carefully to make sure the screw head on the right side of the catch is oriented correctly. It should be just "off" straight up and down. This is not a screw, although it has a screwdriver slot in it. This is the magazine catch lock, and is what the mag catch spring pushes against.

If it is not in it's proper position it could be compressing the mag catch spring (removing or reducing the tension on the mag catch button), which would allow a very light pressure on the button to dump the mag. The compressed position is used for removal of the mag catch (only).

If it is not fully in the correct position, push the mag catch in (and hold it in), and using a properly fitting screwdriver, turn the slot until it is just past straight up and down. You should be able to feel when it is right by the spring tension.

If not the mag, or the spring, then it could be the catch. Remove it from the frame and examine it for wear. It may need replacement, but is the least likely problem. Don't bother with polishing it, your problem is that it works too easily, and polishing won't help that.

One of these things should cure your problem. If not, write back and we'll go from there.

As far as replacing other parts, if the pistol is working OK (other than the mag catch problem), why bother?

Hope this helps.

michael t
April 22, 2007, 07:20 PM
Fix the mag problem. Then shoot the gun enjoy it why replace good parts The orginal design serve in many wars and other shootings. Didn't need guide rods :barf: or any of this money in their pocket gone from yours stuff. For things not needed A basic 1911 if a fine weapon . Shoot it ,then shoot some more:D
A carry gun doesn't need extended mag release or extened slide release or huge paddle safetys . All of it gets in way of daily carry